Re: Multi-coloured text in TOC possible?

Stefan Blom

How did you apply the color to text? By default, direct font formatting
(that is, formatting not applied via a style) should reflect in the TOC.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kipster" wrote in message Hi, I'm new to the forum - hope you can help me out!

I have a document that was originally English but has been translated
into Chinese. However it has been done so that it is now a bilingual
document, with the translated text inserted below each paragraph using a
manual line break to separate the English text from the Chinese text.
The Chinese text has then been formatted with a blue font colour to make
the document visually easier to read.

I have applied the \X switch in the TOC field to recognise the line
breaks in the TOC, so the TOC is displayed with the Chinese heading text
underneath the English heading text as per the main body of the
document.

However, the TOC only displays the Chinese text in black, despite it
being formatted blue in the headings. Is there any way to display this
in the TOC so the English text in the heading is black and the Chinese
text is blue?

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Actually, this has come up before, and I found, to my surprise, that while
many kinds of direct font formatting (bold, italic, underline, All Caps,
small caps, and the like) are reflected in the TOC, font color is not.
Another example of Word doing just the opposite of what would really be
helpful.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

Stefan Blom

I vaguely recall that discussion. However, I have tested this in Word 2010,
and it seems to work as expected in that version, that is, direct color
formatting is visible in the TOC.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Actually, this has come up before, and I found, to my surprise, that while
many kinds of direct font formatting (bold, italic, underline, All Caps,
small caps, and the like) are reflected in the TOC, font color is not.
Another example of Word doing just the opposite of what would really be
helpful.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Interestingly, I'm not seeing that at all, even in Word 2010 (at least not
running on Windows XP--haven't tested in Windows 7).

Actually, worse still, I'm seeing it intermittently. I can get blue to show
up sometimes but never red. I thought perhaps it was a distinction between
theme colors and standard colors, but it's not that simple.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

Stefan Blom said:
[...]

OK, my limited testing seemed to indicate that all is now well (Word 2010 on
Windows 7). If the issue occurs intermittently, I could have missed it. :-(

--

Stefan Blom said:
[...]

Lisa Wilke-Thissen

Hi Suzanne, hi Stefan,

colors coming from theme colors, and being applied directly to text,
seem to be considered in the TOC.
But just "Text"-colors (Text 1, Text 2), not Background, Accent 1...)
are considered. However, the color in the TOC is not the same as used
in the main text:
{ TOC \o "1-1" \h \z \t "Title;2" }
{ TOC \o "1-1" \h \z \t "Title;2" \x }

Removing \h in the TOC, and additionally (or instead of) using the
switch \u, will reflect colors of main text in the TOC:

{ TOC \o "1-1" \z \t "Title;2" }
{ TOC \o "1-1" \z \t "Title;2" \x }
{ TOC \o "1-1" \h \z \t "Title;2" \u }
{ TOC \o "1-1" \z \t "Title;2" \u}

--
Regards from Germany
Lisa [MS MVP Word]

"Stefan Blom" wrote
OK, my limited testing seemed to indicate that all is now well (Word
2010 on Windows 7). If the issue occurs intermittently, I could have
missed it. :-(

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Thanks, as always, for your attention to detail, Lisa. Seems like this is
something it might be worthwhile to bring up with the Word team, as it seems
to me that color should at least be handled consistently, though of course
it would be most desirable for color to be treated the same as other font
properties (italic, bold, etc.).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

Lisa Wilke-Thissen said:
[...]

Lisa, Suzanne:

Colors seem to behave if you delete the \h (hyperlink) switch from the TOC
field code.

--

Lisa Wilke-Thissen said:
[...]

OK, reading Lisa's post again, I see that you have already noticed that...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Lisa Wilke-Thissen said:
[...]

This is off-topic, but I just have to ask if you are using some sort of
add-in to add ">" for quoted text in WLM?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lisa Wilke-Thissen" wrote in message

[...]

:-(

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote

Lisa Wilke-Thissen

Hi Stefan,

"Stefan Blom" wrote
This is off-topic, but I just have to ask if you are
using some sort of add-in to add ">" for quoted text in WLM?

unfortunately not :-(. But I would prefer to have one...

Stefan Blom

Hmm, we had the OEQuoteFix for Outlook Express (not that I ever used it).
Google suggests WLM QuoteFix (http://www.dusko-lolic.from.hr/wlmquote/) or
OE PowerTool(http://www.grzegorz.net/oe/oept.php?lang=en), but I haven't
dared to install either of them....

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lisa Wilke-Thissen" wrote in message

Hi Stefan,

"Stefan Blom" wrote
This is off-topic, but I just have to ask if you are
using some sort of add-in to add ">" for quoted text in WLM?

unfortunately not :-(. But I would prefer to have one...

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Does WLM not have the same option OE has to add those characters? I haven't
used WLM much for NGs (I have it only on my laptop and use the laptop for
NGs only when traveling), but I thought I was posting pretty much the same
way as with OE.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

Stefan Blom said:
[...]

Thanks, Stefan. In my own documents (for print), I do usually remove the \h
switch to make the TOC easier to edit, but when testing for other users I
always create the bog-standard TOC (not changing any of the Options in the
dialog) in order to be starting from a known default, so I hadn't tested
that way.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

Lisa Wilke-Thissen said:
[...]

No, WLM doesn't add anything at all, as you can tell by looking at this
reply. :-(

--

Stefan Blom said:
[...]

Okay, you made me look. Fired up the W7 laptop and WLM and hit Reply to a
random post; sure enough, the text of the post I was replying to was quoted
with >, as expected. The setting is in the same place in WLM as in OE: Tools
| Options | Send: News Sending Format: Plain Text Settings: Indent the
original text with [choice] when replying." Of course, that's available only
for plain text, not HTML.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

Stefan Blom said:
[...]

Which version of WLM are you using? The behavior may have changed when WLM
2011 was released.

--

Stefan Blom said:
[...]

There are versions? I have whatever came on the laptop I bought last
February.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

Stefan Blom said:
[...]

Yes, WLM 2011 is release 15 (recently upgraded by Windows update to
15.4.3555.0308) and it makes use of the ribbon...

Maybe I'll have to downgrade to the last version that also worked in Windows
XP. :-(

--

Stefan Blom said:
[...]

Since posting my previous message I actually *did* downgrade to WLM 14,
which supports quoting with ">"; that version is also a bit more stable I
think...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP