Re: How do I create a Switchboard form in Access 2010?

• Thread starter Jeff Conrad [MSFT]
  • Start date
J

Jeff Conrad [MSFT]

Hi Eric,

Thanks for trying out Access 2010.

Instead of using the Switchboard Manager, have you tried creating your menu structure using the new
Navigational Control? It might serve your needs quite well.

Back to your question. The Switchboard Manager is still in the product, but it's not listed on the
Ribbon. You have several choices of how to launch it:
- Add the command to your Quick Access Toolbar
To do that, follow these steps:
Click the arrow on the QAT and click More Commands to open the Customize area. Select Commands Not
On Ribbons and find the Switchboard Manager option. Add that command to your QAT and then launch it.

- Add the command to your Ribbon
Right-click anywhere on the Ribbon and click Customize the Ribbon to open the Customize area. Select
Commands Not On Ribbons and find the Switchboard Manager option. Add that command to one of the
existing Ribbon groups or create your own Ribbon group. Then launch it from there.

- Run it from the Immediate Window
Press CTRL+G to open the Immediate Window. Now type the following command and then press Enter:
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSwitchboardManager

Hope that helps,

--
Jeff Conrad - Access Junkie - MVP Alumnus
SDET II - Access Test Team - Microsoft Corporation

Co-author - Microsoft Office Access 2007 Inside Out
Presenter - Microsoft Access 2007 Essentials
http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie.html
Access 2007 Info: http://www.AccessJunkie.com

W

wendy zovitowski

Thank you so much for the help. I thought I was going to go crazy trying to figure out why I didn't have the switchboard manager on my ribbon.
I am trying to create a Swichboard, like I could in Access 2007 by clicking
Switchboard Manager under Database Tools. I cannot find an option like this
in Access 2010.
On Saturday, December 05, 2009 11:40 AM Tom van Stiphout wrote:
Perhaps MSFT wants to gently steer you towards creating a Ribbon.

Of course you can still go old-style, and simply create a form with
buttons on it and open it at startup time.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP
On Saturday, December 05, 2009 2:26 PM Jeff Conrad [MSFT] wrote:
Hi Eric,

Thanks for trying out Access 2010.

Instead of using the Switchboard Manager, have you tried creating your menu structure using the new
Navigational Control? It might serve your needs quite well.

Back to your question. The Switchboard Manager is still in the product, but it is not listed on the
Ribbon. You have several choices of how to launch it:
- Add the command to your Quick Access Toolbar
Click the arrow on the QAT and click More Commands to open the Customize area. Select Commands Not
On Ribbons and find the Switchboard Manager option. Add that command to your QAT and then launch it.

- Add the command to your Ribbon
Right-click anywhere on the Ribbon and click Customize the Ribbon to open the Customize area. Select
Commands Not On Ribbons and find the Switchboard Manager option. Add that command to one of the
existing Ribbon groups or create your own Ribbon group. Then launch it from there.

- Run it from the Immediate Window
Press CTRL+G to open the Immediate Window. Now type the following command and then press Enter:
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSwitchboardManager

Hope that helps,

--
Jeff Conrad - Access Junkie - MVP Alumnus
SDET II - Access Test Team - Microsoft Corporation

Co-author - Microsoft Office Access 2007 Inside Out
Presenter - Microsoft Access 2007 Essentials
http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie.html
Access 2007 Info: http://www.AccessJunkie.com

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but for any late viewers, the switchboard created by the switchboard manager of the access 64-bit 2010 has a bad logic error in the onopen macro. It will not set the Switchboard Header to your Main switchboard name. It is the caption of Label1 and the second macro needs to lookup the ItemText where the ItemNumber = 0.

I've been throwing together little multilevel switchboards this way for maybe 15 years (that might be an exaggeration) and this is an indication that they don't really intend for us to use it anymore. It's no big deal but I like it for keeping my work areas quickly available to me, and you could do it in a minute.

If you don't care about the heading (it will use one of your selection labels instead) it works fine.

Reaction score
Adding a bit... if you make changes to the switchboard using its own change function and get such innocuous errors as 'requery not available at this time', just close it and open it again and your changes will be there. It seems to me that they have to work at it to screw up such a simple long-working form.

fx3

Reaction score
I'd personally stay away from "switch-boards" and instead create something custom; it'd be more customizable that way

Ask a Question