Raptors in Raid 0 ?

Magnusfarce

The bit of research I've done suggests that a pair of Raptor HDD's set up in
a RAID 0 array does not increase their net speed by very much. Is this
true, and if so, why?

- Magnusfarce

DevilsPGD

In message <[email protected]> "Magnusfarce"
The bit of research I've done suggests that a pair of Raptor HDD's set up in
a RAID 0 array does not increase their net speed by very much. Is this
true, and if so, why?

I've seen this here -- I suspect the issue is that the drives are
already approaching the ability of the controller to keep up. I might
be way off though.

John Doe

Magnusfarce said:
The bit of research I've done suggests that a pair of Raptor HDD's
set up in a RAID 0 array does not increase their net speed by very
much. Is this true, and if so, why?

From reading, my understanding is that it depends on your usage,
like random access versus sustained transfer or something like that.
I might ask in the storage group. Good luck.

aj

The bit of research I've done suggests that a pair of Raptor HDD's set up in
a RAID 0 array does not increase their net speed by very much. Is this
true, and if so, why?

- Magnusfarce

Onboard cache gets disabled during RAID which kills a big part of the
benefit of that drive. Getting a controller with large cache should
solve that.

John Weiss

Magnusfarce said:
The bit of research I've done suggests that a pair of Raptor HDD's set up
in
a RAID 0 array does not increase their net speed by very much. Is this
true, and if so, why?

The speed increase is real and discernable. However, I don't think it is
worth the added risk of data loss.

After having to rebuild mine due to corruption of 1 of the disks, I went to
RAID 1.

DevilsPGD

In message <[email protected]> aj
Onboard cache gets disabled during RAID which kills a big part of the
benefit of that drive. Getting a controller with large cache should
solve that.

huh? -- The drive doesn't know or care that you're using a RAID
controller. Caching on the controller will definitely help, but the
drive's cache shouldn't be affected one way or the other.

Conor

The bit of research I've done suggests that a pair of Raptor HDD's set up in
a RAID 0 array does not increase their net speed by very much. Is this
true, and if so, why?
PCI bus transfer.

Can't shift data faster than the PCI bus will allow.

DevilsPGD

In message <[email protected]> Conor
PCI bus transfer.

Can't shift data faster than the PCI bus will allow.

A single Raptor can't exceed the PCI bus' theoretical bandwidth limits
though, other then when bursting (which doesn't count), so in theory,
RAID-0 should still help.

In practice... It doesn't :(

I'm probably going to try again on my new GA-K8NXP-SLI, it has an SATA
controller on the PCI-E bus, which might be a bit more fun :)

sbb78247

John said:
The speed increase is real and discernable. However, I don't think
it is worth the added risk of data loss.

After having to rebuild mine due to corruption of 1 of the disks, I
went to RAID 1.

you pussy - that is what imaging and a disaster plan is for - live life tase
death

John Doe

Troll

From: "sbb78247" <sbb78247 stilldon'tfuckincare.invalid>