Range Problem

Steven Drenker

I'm having trouble understanding a simple behavior of Ranges. In the
following snippet...

Sub test()
Dim rng As Range

Worksheets("Sheet1").Select
Set rng = Range("A1:A10")

Charts("Chart1").Select

Debug.Print rng.Address ' OK - Prints $A$1:$A$10

rng.Value = 10 ' <-- Works OK
rng.Select ' <-- Fails: Run-time Error 1004: Method
'Select' of object 'Range' failed
End Sub

If I can write to the range with "rng.Value =", why can't I select the range
with "rng.Select"? It seems to me both should work.

Steve

Chip Pearson

You set rng to Sheet1!A1:A10, but then you select a Chart sheet.
You can't select a cell that is not on the active sheet.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

message
news:BFFA6405.1391EA%[email protected]...

The object with the focus is your chart, if you reactivate the worksheet your
range select statement works just fine.

ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Activate

Hi Steven

Range("A1:A10") refers to a range of cells
Range 10 is not a range of cells, hence the error message.
Also, you can only set ranges with Set, not with Value

Steven Drenker

You set rng to Sheet1!A1:A10, but then you select a Chart sheet.
You can't select a cell that is not on the active sheet.
Thanks, Chip. So I need to do it in two steps? First select the sheet and
then select the cell? I can't combine into one step such as ws.range.select?

Chip Pearson

Yes, you must first select the sheet, then the cell. You can do
it on one line of code with Application.Goto. E.g.,

Application.Goto Rng