RAM runs at 394mhz, but not full 400..

Reaction score
I was running my Corsair Value PC3200 at full 400mhz for about a year, with an AthlonXP 3200 and a geforce 6800. I had no problems. Now, after updating the BIOS, reformatting my hard-drive, updating drivers/packs, and installing a new 6800gt, I can't run at full 400mhz without blue screens.

The I've tried various different configurations, including increasing the latencies, and it will only run okay if I drop it down to '83'% (333) or drop the FSB by 2 and run it at 394. I KNOW that this problem isn't a result of the AGP or processor overheating, and the voltage of the RAM should be fine. Its also not a result of a lack of power supply, AND the case temp is below 50c.

In theory, the 6800gt is the only thing new that could have started the problems, but all the 6800gt has done to my case is give it 2 or 3 degrees C more heat.. If RAM is faulty, does it slowly become more vulnerable to heat as it gets more old? I mean, SIX mhz is currently the difference between it running fine or crashing!!

Grr...

Anybody?! I'm out of ideas!

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Why did you 'update' the BIOS?

:confused:

Because it was an old version, and seeing as I was reformating and reinstalling everything ELSE...

But I used Winflash in-windows, and it all installed fine. I'm aware of the dangers of screwing up a PC whilst flashing the BIOS... And as far as I am aware all the BIOS settings are the same as they were previously..

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem in my system, and gave up trying to figure it out, so i just run it with the bus set that few MHz below what it should be, there is no noticable performance loss, although it is frustrating knowing that you're not getting the most from your system.

Reaction score
Aah, its good to know its not a completely individual problem. What is your spec?

Its quite annoying. Im now fairly certain it isn't the memory itself that is causing the problem but rather the graphics card... or at least the relationship between the graphics card and the memory... not sure.

I can still overclock the card tho, so it ain't a heat problem. For now I've just taken to keeping the FSB at 198 for stability but overclocking the graphics card to make up for it, which brings me back to a 3dmark05 score of 5200.

However, if anybody could share some light on the situation it would be greatly apreciated.

Reaction score
Have you got the RAM timings (CAS Latency, RAS to CAS) etc set to SPD? If you push these figures tighter than default on value RAM you usually wont get good results...

See if it's running at CAS 3 - if not, put it there and see if your PC boots @ 400MHz

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
tomsega said:
Aah, its good to know its not a completely individual problem. What is your spec?

Its quite annoying. Im now fairly certain it isn't the memory itself that is causing the problem but rather the graphics card... or at least the relationship between the graphics card and the memory... not sure.

I can still overclock the card tho, so it ain't a heat problem. For now I've just taken to keeping the FSB at 198 for stability but overclocking the graphics card to make up for it, which brings me back to a 3dmark05 score of 5200.

However, if anybody could share some light on the situation it would be greatly apreciated.

My specs are as follows:
Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 v2 mobo
Intel P4 Prescott 3.0GHz
2 x 256MB DDR Kingmax value mem
2 x 80GB Seagate Barracuda SATA
NEC ND 3540A DVD burner
Lite-On 52 CD burner
Ennermax EG701 Noisetaker 600w
nVidia FX5200

Not amazing specs I know, but it should all work in unison.
I first thought it may be the CPU, which i bought second hand off of eBay, but it works perfectly for everything else. My thoughts at the moment are that the memory may be faulty, it wasn't expensive when i bought it, but since I just cant be bothered to replace it just at the moment, I'm quite happy just running the 400 memory at 396MHz.

Reaction score
I thaught the problem was because of the memory, too. However, I run Memtest without error, I've tried to reduced the latencies to as low as 3.0-7-7-12 (!!), I've also gone out and got the beefiest copper heatsinks I could find and stuck that on the RAM, but that didn't help...

However, Memtest doesn't raise the case temp like a game does, so...

I have a Shuttle SFF that always has the RAM voltage in 'auto', so YOU could try that. Otherwise personally I'm out of ideas.

Except I'm gonna try and write 'letter of the month' to Custom PC because they always give away free Corsair twinX RAM!

Last edited:

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I swapped out my memory the other day, and replaced it with 2 x 512MB CorsairPC3200. Now everything runs stable at standard speeds. So my old memory must have been at fault.

Whats even better to know, I have even overclocked the system. My P4 3GHz Prescott is now happily running at 3.4GHz @ 36 degrees C. I upped the bus speed from 200HMz to 227MHz which gives a FSB speed of 908MHz.

I'm currently running stability/stress tests just to make sure the system will stay stable at these speeds, and if it does then I'm gonna try to push it a bit more. 4 GHz would be nice, but I think that would be asking for trouble. If I can get it to 3.6GHz stable then I'll be pretty happy. I'll keep you all posted.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It may be as simple as that being the actual speed of the budget RAM.

I'm using the same stuff, btw, although mine is running at 400Mhz.

I'm using a 6800GT as well.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Wahey. I've managed to get the Overclock even further now.
The 3.0GHz Prescott is now running stably at 3.75GHz :) with the fsb at 1000MHz, and the temps are staying pretty low too at 37C idle and 46C under stress.

If I go any higher then temps start to increase quite a lot though, and it quite frankly makes me pretty nervous. I'm quite confident though that if I got some water cooling then it would go to 4GHz.

I'm pretty impressed really, as this was my first go at OCing, I just wanted to try to get a little more life out of my old CPU, and i've certainly managed that.

Heres a screenshot of the redings from CPU-Z

Attachments

• cpuz.jpg
    cpuz.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 111

Ask a Question