RAM Problem

Mike

I just added 2 GB RAM to my XPS 630i to bring it to 8 GB, yet it still is
only reading 6 GB RAM. Do I need to reset something to fix this?

Mike

Brian the King said:
Since Mike would have had to turn his computer off to install
additional RAM, I don't see how that could be of use.

What sort of RAM and motherboard configuration do you have?

The best I could tell you is:
4 Memory slots
800Mhz PC6400 DDR2

I ordered this with 6GB RAM. The 2 sticks I pulled were 1GB each, so I
replaced them with 2 2GB sticks of Corsair XMS2 RAM.

Rick Rogers

Hi,

So the problem is in the hardware layer. Try setting the ram timing manually
rather than relying on automatic detection. It's not unusual to have to do
this when you reach a motherboard's maximum capacity.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Since you mentioned you have a Dell XPS 630i computer, its likely you
cannot adjust the RAM timing (voltages) in the motherboard's BIOS.
Are you sure the RAM you installed is the same specifications as the
existing RAM? I would suggest running CPU-Z to find out.

CPU-Z (free): http://www.cpuid.com/index.php

"(e-mail address removed)>" <rathbunger<nospam> wrote in message Rick,
Now about a BIG help on doing that? I haven't a clue.

Mike

It's fixed. I reinstalled each stick one at a time. I must not have had a
stick seated properly. Now for another amazing development. My Windows
Experience rating for RAM dropped from 5.5 to 5.2 . WTF???????? How is
that possible after adding another 2GB???

--

Don't pick a fight with an old man.
If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Mike

Here's the report:
The Corsair is what I added.

Chipset

Northbridge NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI SPP rev. A2
Southbridge NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI MCP rev. A3
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x8
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 8192 MBytes
Channels Dual
Memory Frequency 333.3 MHz (1:1)
CAS# 5.0
RAS# to CAS# 5
RAS# Precharge 5
Cycle Time (tRAS) 15
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 20
Command Rate 2T

Memory SPD

DIMM #1

General
Memory type DDR2
Module format Regular UDIMM
Manufacturer (ID) Corsair (7F7F9E0000000000)
Size 2048 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
Part number CM2X2048-6400C5

Attributes
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Nominal Voltage 1.80 Volts
EPP no
XMP no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 270 400
CAS# 4.0 5.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 4 5
RAS# Precharge 4 5
TRAS 13 18
TRC 15 22

DIMM #2

General
Memory type DDR2
Module format Regular UDIMM
Manufacturer (ID) Corsair (7F7F9E0000000000)
Size 2048 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
Part number CM2X2048-6400C5

Attributes
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Nominal Voltage 1.80 Volts
EPP no
XMP no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 270 400
CAS# 4.0 5.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 4 5
RAS# Precharge 4 5
TRAS 13 18
TRC 15 22

DIMM #3

General
Memory type DDR2
Module format Regular UDIMM
Manufacturer (ID) Kingston (7F98000000000000)
Size 2048 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
Part number KYG410-ELC
Serial number 8337DF6B
Manufacturing date Week 48/Year 08

Attributes
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Nominal Voltage 1.80 Volts
EPP no
XMP no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 266 333 400
CAS# 4.0 5.0 6.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 4 5 6
RAS# Precharge 4 5 6
TRAS 12 15 18
TRC 16 20 24

DIMM #4

General
Memory type DDR2
Module format Regular UDIMM
Manufacturer (ID) Kingston (7F98000000000000)
Size 2048 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
Part number KYG410-ELC
Serial number 8337E06B
Manufacturing date Week 48/Year 08

Attributes
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Nominal Voltage 1.80 Volts
EPP no
XMP no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 266 333 400
CAS# 4.0 5.0 6.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 4 5 6
RAS# Precharge 4 5 6
TRAS 12 15 18
TRC 16 20 24

--

Don't pick a fight with an old man.
If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Ian D

Mike @gmail.com> said:
It's fixed. I reinstalled each stick one at a time. I must not have had
a stick seated properly. Now for another amazing development. My Windows
Experience rating for RAM dropped from 5.5 to 5.2 . WTF???????? How is
that possible after adding another 2GB???
With the full RAM load, the motherboard either dropped
the memory clock speed, or the RAM timings. This is
quite common when the maximum memory complement is
installed. As suggested earlier by another poster, use
CPU-Z to see what's going on.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

According to Corsair, your new Corsair RAM is designed to work properly with 1.9 Volts
and your existing RAM and motherboard supports only 1.8 Volts. This discrepancy is likely
causing the issue with WEI. I would recommend returning your Corsair RAM and purchasing
Kingston RAM rated at 1.8 Volts.

Use the Kingston RAM Configurator: http://www.kingston.com/

This mismatched RAM voltage has caused your overall Memory Frequency to be knocked down to
333.3 MHz (should be 400 MHz) and results in the lower WEI score.

"(e-mail address removed)>" <rathbunger<nospam> wrote in message It's fixed. I reinstalled each stick one at a time. I must not have had a
stick seated properly. Now for another amazing development. My Windows
Experience rating for RAM dropped from 5.5 to 5.2 . WTF???????? How is
that possible after adding another 2GB???

--

Don't pick a fight with an old man.
If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Mike

Thanks, Carey.

--

Don't pick a fight with an old man.
If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Richard Urban

Computer motherboards will accept only certain types of RAM. Use your manual
to see what is accepted. Then look to see whether the RAM you purchased
matches. Some only accept single sided RAM sticks. Some will accept double
sided RAM. Some tell you not to use certain configurations or to place the
larger RAM sticks in a certain location. Then there is the RAM timing etc..
All the sticks should match.

You need to do some homework that none other can do for you.

Synapse Syndrome [KGB]

Carey Frisch said:
Since you mentioned you have a Dell XPS 630i computer, its likely you
cannot adjust the RAM timing (voltages) in the motherboard's BIOS.

Nice try at getting technical, Carey, but RAM timings and voltages are two
entirely different things.

ss.

Synapse Syndrome [KGB]

Rick Rogers said:
So the problem is in the hardware layer. Try setting the ram timing
manually rather than relying on automatic detection. It's not unusual
to have to do this when you reach a motherboard's maximum capacity.

If that ever happens, it would not be due to the motherboard reaching its
maximum capacity at all. It would be due to it only reading the SPD chip on
the first RAM stick, which would be a problem if any of the others are
slower.

ss.