ram help

Reaction score
I have just got some Crucial PC2100 DDR-DIMM 256MB CL2.5 Unbuffered, Non-parity, 2.5V

will this work on amd athlon 2000xp.my pc is about 1.7ghz. motherboard is asusk

I have 1 stick of mem in the pc already.256ddr .On the ram inside the pc : pc 2100 ddr 256mb.

Plus what is the best way to install ram.the last time i damage my motherboard.

i do not want this to happend testing the ram.

any help

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
It sounds like it should work, but your never 100% garanteed that mixed ram will work.

When installing ram, just make sure you have the memory the right way up and line her up and just push it in as straight as possible.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You do have to apply a 'reasonable' amount of pressure when installing ram ... because of that the hard part is keeping it upright.

Lay the case on its side and remove anything that may get in the way, not forgetting to reattach those obstacles.

Remember to 'ground' yourself first by touching a radiator and try not to touch the gold coloured pins of the ram.

Good luck.

:thumb:

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
You should only be able to install DDR RAM in one direction (due to the notch between the pins),

muckshifter said:
You do have to apply a 'reasonable' amount of pressure when installing ram ... because of that the hard part is keeping it upright.

Lay the case on its side and remove anything that may get in the way, not forgetting to reattach those obstacles.

Remember to 'ground' yourself first by touching a radiator and try not to touch the gold coloured pins of the ram.
:thumb:

As for installation - do as Mucks instructed. Laying your case flat is very practical method for this. Just try to push the RAM in evenly (i.e. not one end at a time)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Cache-man said:
Just try to push the RAM in evenly (i.e. not one end at a time)
:D Whoops, thats exactly what i do if i dont pay attention:p

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
if you hear a snap sound you either Installed it correctly or you cracked the ram or motherboard:D

Reaction score
michael555 said:
Plus what is the best way to install ram.the last time i damage my motherboard.

i do not want this to happend testing the ram.

any help

easy and simple

dont force it in be slow and careful.

push one end in then slowly push the other end in, dont force it or u will regret it.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
psd99 said:
push one end in then slowly push the other end in, dont force it or u will regret it.

Cache-man said:
Just try to push the RAM in evenly (i.e. not one end at a time).
So whos right?:confused:
I've had success wtih both methods so does it really matter?:)

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I was always taught to push the mem in evenly in one motion as this lessens the stress placed on the motherboard, at either end of the memory slots.

But I dont suppose it matters too much, another case of choosing your personal preference and sticking with it i guess.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just push it in firmly and evenly, until you hear a click and both end-of-slot retainers snap home.

Give it a visual inspection - does it look firmly seated? It does?

Good - that's it. Done.

Ask a Question