RAID with SATA drives

Q

Q

Help!
I'm trying to create a new PC with SATA drives in a RAID format. Using a Gigabyte GA-8i945P m/b and a pair of 250Gb WD Cavair SATA drives. The default on the m/b is for SATA in RAID and BIOS sees the drives as Ch 2 master and Ch 3 master. However entering the RAID menu, the drives don't show up. The message is: "Please install Pri/D0 and Sec/D0 drives or Pri/D1 and Sec/D1 to configure a Mirror mode array." I happen to be trying to choose a Raid1 array, but I get basically the same message if I try to choose a Raid0 array.
I've checked every possible option in the BIOS and everything should work... but no go. :-(

I don't happen to have a CD attached to the system yet (should arrive in a day or so) so I know WinXP will want drivers for SATA when I go to install XP. There is a Utility CD for the motherboard with drivers for everything, but they're all for Windows... Any idea if I can set up SATA under XP even though I can't get it set up now?? I'm thinking if I can't get the system to recognize RAID with SATA, then anything I try in XP won't make a difference, but I could be wrong. Any ideas?
TIA

J

Jerry

All your questions are best answered by the manufacturer of the motherboard.

Help!
I'm trying to create a new PC with SATA drives in a RAID format. Using a Gigabyte GA-8i945P m/b and a pair of 250Gb WD Cavair SATA drives. The default on the m/b is for SATA in RAID and BIOS sees the drives as Ch 2 master and Ch 3 master. However entering the RAID menu, the drives don't show up. The message is: "Please install Pri/D0 and Sec/D0 drives or Pri/D1 and Sec/D1 to configure a Mirror mode array." I happen to be trying to choose a Raid1 array, but I get basically the same message if I try to choose a Raid0 array.
I've checked every possible option in the BIOS and everything should work... but no go. :-(

I don't happen to have a CD attached to the system yet (should arrive in a day or so) so I know WinXP will want drivers for SATA when I go to install XP. There is a Utility CD for the motherboard with drivers for everything, but they're all for Windows... Any idea if I can set up SATA under XP even though I can't get it set up now?? I'm thinking if I can't get the system to recognize RAID with SATA, then anything I try in XP won't make a difference, but I could be wrong. Any ideas?
TIA

R

RonK

Have you tried connecting the drives to the other 2 sata connections ?
Help!

TIA

Q

Q

Yes swapped the ATA connections... turns the drives into IDE Slaves instead of Masters.

Looks like a call to Gigabyte tomorrow... that should be interesting... :-D~

Help!

TIA

T

Tim

Sounds like you will need to read the manual on how to set the bios for SATA drives and RAID. SATA controllers can emulate IDE controllers and so 'fake' a Master or Slave IDE drive.

I don't have the GB board you mention so can't tell you what to set. Cehck the manual! It will be there.

Best of luck with calling GB support. You are much more likely to get faster feedback from the alt.comp.periphds.mainboard.gigabyte news group.

If you are setting up RAID (either 0 or 1) you will need the RAID drivers on floppy to feed in via F6 during XP installation. The only practical way around that is to slipstream the drivers onto a custom XP installation CD - googlefor "slipstream XP" without the quotes on how to do that.

- Tim

Yes swapped the ATA connections... turns the drives into IDE Slaves instead of Masters.

Help!

TIA

M

Mercury

sorry should be alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

set the appropriate sata controller to SATA (not IDE) and make sure you have RAID enabled.

and... please don't post as HTML.
Sounds like you will need to read the manual on how to set the bios for SATA drives and RAID. SATA controllers can emulate IDE controllers and so 'fake' a Master or Slave IDE drive.

I don't have the GB board you mention so can't tell you what to set. Cehck the manual! It will be there.

Best of luck with calling GB support. You are much more likely to get faster feedback from the alt.comp.periphds.mainboard.gigabyte news group.

If you are setting up RAID (either 0 or 1) you will need the RAID drivers on floppy to feed in via F6 during XP installation. The only practical way around that is to slipstream the drivers onto a custom XP installation CD - googlefor "slipstream XP" without the quotes on how to do that.

- Tim

Help!

TIA

Q

Q

Sorry about the HTML... I switched it off after my first post, but I think
my Newsreader responds in the same format... this post should be okay?!

Problem was fixed by entering ctrl-I to get into the Intel RAID setup,
instead of the Gigabyte RAID setup... I saw that small print in the manual,
but the BIOS never displayed the ^I option!

However, in order to get the display of the ^I, I upgraded the BIOS, and
everything seemed fine... until I rebooted... Now the BIOS is hosed and I'm
completely skrewed. I'm returning the MB and COULD get the same replacement
GA-8I945P-Pro, or else get something different. Need support for Pentium-D,
DDR-2 RAM, SATA RAID... Any suggestions?

Thanks.

sorry should be alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

set the appropriate sata controller to SATA (not IDE) and make sure you have
RAID enabled.

and... please don't post as HTML.
Sounds like you will need to read the manual on how to set the bios for SATA
drives and RAID. SATA controllers can emulate IDE controllers and so 'fake'
a Master or Slave IDE drive.

I don't have the GB board you mention so can't tell you what to set. Cehck
the manual! It will be there.

Best of luck with calling GB support. You are much more likely to get faster
feedback from the alt.comp.periphds.mainboard.gigabyte news group.

If you are setting up RAID (either 0 or 1) you will need the RAID drivers on
floppy to feed in via F6 during XP installation. The only practical way
around that is to slipstream the drivers onto a custom XP installation CD -
googlefor "slipstream XP" without the quotes on how to do that.

- Tim

Yes swapped the ATA connections... turns the drives into IDE Slaves instead
of Masters.

Help!
I'm trying to create a new PC with SATA drives in a RAID format. Using a
Gigabyte GA-8i945P m/b and a pair of 250Gb WD Cavair SATA drives. The
default on the m/b is for SATA in RAID and BIOS sees the drives as Ch 2
master and Ch 3 master. However entering the RAID menu, the drives don't
show up. The message is: "Please install Pri/D0 and Sec/D0 drives or Pri/D1
and Sec/D1 to configure a Mirror mode array." I happen to be trying to
choose a Raid1 array, but I get basically the same message if I try to
choose a Raid0 array.
I've checked every possible option in the BIOS and everything should work...
but no go. :-(

I don't happen to have a CD attached to the system yet (should arrive in a
day or so) so I know WinXP will want drivers for SATA when I go to install
XP. There is a Utility CD for the motherboard with drivers for everything,
but they're all for Windows... Any idea if I can set up SATA under XP even
though I can't get it set up now?? I'm thinking if I can't get the system to
recognize RAID with SATA, then anything I try in XP won't make a difference,
but I could be wrong. Any ideas?
TIA

T

Tim

Go to the gigabyte news group and ask there:
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

What makes you think you screwed the BIOS and how did you flash it?
Did you double check the motherboard model BEFORE flashing - there are 2 Pro
models.
Does the motherboard boot at all? Any beeps? Do you see anything on screen?

Have you tried resetting the cmos? Make sure you pull out the power cable
when you do. The procedure is in the manual.

GB motherboards are supposed to have dual bios - IE a backup on the board.
Have you checked this out?

- Tim

Q

Q

Thanks for the Newsgroup info...

I've been building systems for years so I know that one has to TRIPLE check
everything before flashing BIOS.

Yes, triple-checked the correct board model number... there are actually 4
or 5 that almost appear to be the same thing.

Yes, disconnected the power cable... many times actually.

Yes, 5 quick beeps.
The screen that comes up is a BIOS "checksum error" screen and then attempts
to restore from the dual BIOS and that fails as well... Then it just shuts
down.

Had the Gigabyte support technician on the phone and we double-checked
everything...
He surmised that either the Northbridge or the BIOS in general is/was hosed.

The board is going back... and I'm replacing with an MSI 945P board.

T

Tim

Could have been a blessing then.
A shot board could have carried on for months will all sorts of issues.

Ask a Question