RAID versus 10,000 rpm?

John Doe

If I buy two 5400 or 7200 rpm hard disks, could they be used as the
main hard disk storage (for booting Windows XP Home) and be
configured to operate faster than one 10,000 rpm hard disk, on the
following mainboard?

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2_Delta2-LSR

Integrated SATA Phy, supporting up to 2 ports
One SATA controller, supporting two drives in master mode

NV RAID (Software)
Supports 2 serial ATA plus 4 ATA 133 Drives
RAID 0, 1, 0+1, JBOD is supported
Booting from RAID
Cross controller RAID support
Rebuilding on the Fly
Spare Disk Allocation
Supports Windows 2000 and later versions

Thank you.

Rod Speed

John Doe said:
If I buy two 5400 or 7200 rpm hard disks, could they be used as the
main hard disk storage (for booting Windows XP Home) and be
configured to operate faster than one 10,000 rpm hard disk, on the
following mainboard?

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2_Delta2-LSR

Integrated SATA Phy, supporting up to 2 ports
One SATA controller, supporting two drives in master mode

NV RAID (Software)
Supports 2 serial ATA plus 4 ATA 133 Drives
RAID 0, 1, 0+1, JBOD is supported
Booting from RAID
Cross controller RAID support
Rebuilding on the Fly
Spare Disk Allocation
Supports Windows 2000 and later versions

Why are you obsessing about speed ?

Bob Willard

John said:
If I buy two 5400 or 7200 rpm hard disks, could they be used as the
main hard disk storage (for booting Windows XP Home) and be
configured to operate faster than one 10,000 rpm hard disk, on the
following mainboard?

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2_Delta2-LSR

Integrated SATA Phy, supporting up to 2 ports
One SATA controller, supporting two drives in master mode

NV RAID (Software)
Supports 2 serial ATA plus 4 ATA 133 Drives
RAID 0, 1, 0+1, JBOD is supported
Booting from RAID
Cross controller RAID support
Rebuilding on the Fly
Spare Disk Allocation
Supports Windows 2000 and later versions

Thank you.

Oh, yeah. 5400+5400 > 10000. Keen observation.

Do you work for FEMA?

John Doe

Bob Willard said:
John Doe wrote:

Oh, yeah. 5400+5400 > 10000. Keen observation.
Do you work for FEMA?

I would very much enjoy matching my personal computer skills against
yours.

Who rattled your cage, troll.

CJT

John Doe wrote:

I would very much enjoy matching my personal computer skills against
yours.
<snip>

It's a real shame that there even is such a thing as "personal computer
skills." In days gone by, that would have been akin to "file cabinet
skills" or perhaps "writing pad skills."

John Doe

CJT said:
John Doe wrote:

<snip>

It's a real shame that there even is such a thing as "personal
computer skills." In days gone by, that would have been akin to
"file cabinet skills" or perhaps "writing pad skills."

I use speech recognition for command, automation, and dictation.
Modern personal computers are very complex machines and are likely
to become much more so. Sooner or later, the same skills will be
used to master robotics. Your analogy is a stretch.

minimize spam. Our true address is of the form che... prodigy.net.

From: CJT <abujlehc prodigy.net>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: RAID versus 10,000 rpm?
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:23:03 GMT

J. Clarke

Bob said:
Oh, yeah. 5400+5400 > 10000. Keen observation.

Do you work for FEMA?

Well, now we know that you're good at being a smartass. When you take the
"ass" part off get back to us.

Arno Wagner

Previously John Doe said:
If I buy two 5400 or 7200 rpm hard disks, could they be used as the
main hard disk storage (for booting Windows XP Home) and be
configured to operate faster than one 10,000 rpm hard disk, on the
following mainboard?

Access-time wise: No, RAID0 (what you are takling about) does not do
anything for access time.

Linear access-wise: Maybe. Look into the datasheets for the disks
you are actually intending to use and get their media transfer rates.
Also depends on the disk zone.

Arno

Wayne

The problem is that you seldom get sustained sequential transfers, and when
access time becomes a factor the higher RPM drive, with its lower latency,
generally will be the better performer.

RAID can gain you significant performance benefits _if_ your data patterns
are such as to benefit from its use--generally speaking they aren't.

I cant speak about usage data patterns, but my experience is that RAID 0
measures maybe half again faster than a similar single drive. I use two WD
Caviar 7200 RPM 80GB SATA drives as 160GB RAID0 (VIA controller on Asus AV8
Deluxe motherboard), and HDTach measures about 75MB/second average
throughput. A similar single ATA WD 160GB shows about 51MB/second average
(from 61 at outer rim to 35 at inner edge).
If you only have two drives in the machine, you'd do better to use one for
Windows and put the pagefile on the other. If boot time is the issue then
use standby or hibernate instead of shutting down.

You wont like using hiberate with 1GB of memory. Slow to restart. It is
faster to just reboot than to restore 1GB of memory. The advantage of
hibernate is if it is necessary to restore running programs to a previous
active state.

J. Clarke

John said:
If I buy two 5400 or 7200 rpm hard disks, could they be used as the
main hard disk storage (for booting Windows XP Home) and be
configured to operate faster than one 10,000 rpm hard disk, on the
following mainboard?

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2_Delta2-LSR

Integrated SATA Phy, supporting up to 2 ports
One SATA controller, supporting two drives in master mode

NV RAID (Software)
Supports 2 serial ATA plus 4 ATA 133 Drives
RAID 0, 1, 0+1, JBOD is supported
Booting from RAID
Cross controller RAID support
Rebuilding on the Fly
Spare Disk Allocation
Supports Windows 2000 and later versions

Thank you.

It seems to be Don Rickles Appreciation Day on the newsgroup--you ask a
perfectly reasonable question and get a bunch of smartass replies by people
who only meet half that description.

Now, in answer to your question, the answer is "maybe but probably not".

Sequential transfer rate can be higher for the lower RPM disks if you get
disks with higher areal density--7200 RPM drives seem to lead in that area.

The problem is that you seldom get sustained sequential transfers, and when
access time becomes a factor the higher RPM drive, with its lower latency,
generally will be the better performer.

RAID can gain you significant performance benefits _if_ your data patterns
are such as to benefit from its use--generally speaking they aren't.

If you only have two drives in the machine, you'd do better to use one for
Windows and put the pagefile on the other. If boot time is the issue then
use standby or hibernate instead of shutting down.

Folkert Rienstra

J. Clarke said:
It seems to be Don Rickles Appreciation Day on the newsgroup--

And rightfully so when the trolls all gather on the same day.
It's just a happy price shoot.

And come off your high horse, you did the same on the MTBF question.
you ask a perfectly reasonable question

Not if the answer is there, staring right in your face, supplied by the
troll himself.
and get a bunch of smartass replies by people who only meet half that description.

Look in the mirror, Clarke, everyone knows John Doe is
the troll with that big sign on his head that says "Shoot me"
and goes around posting message headers all over the internet.
Now, in answer to your question,

It wasn't a question, it was an obvious troll, as any 'smartass' and not so
smart 'ass' can see.
the answer is "maybe but probably not".

On what part of the question was that, Clarke.

Folkert Rienstra

John Doe said:
I use speech recognition for command, automation, and dictation.
Modern personal computers are very complex machines and are likely
to become much more so. Sooner or later, the same skills will be
used to master robotics. Your analogy is a stretch.

After that explanation it sounds to me that he was right on the money.

Odie Ferrous

And come off your high horse, you did the same on the MTBF question.

My goodness me. Folkert, is that really you saying that? "High
horse"?????

This defies all logic to which I have ever been exposed. Regarding you,
of course.

Pray, tell - for once and for all - which planet vomited you from its
boundaries?

Tell your mum she needs to put more bran in your breakfast. Clearly you
have some sort of deficiency.

Or best just see the local doctors.

Prat.

Odie

Arno Wagner

Previously CJT said:
John Doe wrote:
It's a real shame that there even is such a thing as "personal computer
skills." In days gone by, that would have been akin to "file cabinet
skills" or perhaps "writing pad skills."

LOL!

Then it could have been "literacy" if go back far enough.

Arno

John Doe

Header information should be better understood. Header information
helps keep track of trolls. Header information can help avoid
serious misunderstandings. Understanding header information can also
help prevent malicious trolls from manipulating Usenet users.

Troll.

From: "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to myweb.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:15:21 +0200

[QUOTE="J. Clarke"]
[...]

[/QUOTE]

John Doe

If you only have two drives in the machine, you'd do better to use
one for Windows and put the pagefile on the other.

Very generally speaking, how much of a performance boost does that
produce?

Thanks.