Raid 0 Question

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a pair of Raptors and setting them up as RAID 0. I think most PC's just use some form of software controler to set this up. Would I be better off having 1 drive on my SATA 1 cable and the other on the SATA 2 cable? Would this then use two different controlers/bus's rather than having the information traveling down the same line and being organised by the same controler?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
First of all make sure your motherboard has a RAID facility.

If it has, the RAID 0 function will be handled by an onboard controller chip. Whichever ports are connected to the controller (see motherboard manual) will determine how you connect your drives.

The RAID setup is then accessed by hitting a key on POST.

Generally speaking, a RAID 0 setup would not normally be connected to two different buses, in fact it's advantageous to have them both on the same bus as your OS will see the pair of drives as one hard drive.

Reaction score
Thanks for your response Floppy.

I do know how to setup a RAID array thanks, what I am trying to determine is what the difference is between the PC array and a propper one where you have a separate RAID controller card.

Is it that the processor on the PC is trying to do the job of what would be 2 seperate ones on a RAID card?

As I am sure you know the speed increase by RAID 0 is gained by accessing data written accross 2 disks simultaniously. If these disks are on the same bus then wouldn't the advantage be lost or does 1 bus have the ability to carry the data from both drives in parallel? I was thinking that as my mobo has 2 banks of 4 SATA drives that it may help to use both banks?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ah, you mean a software RAID 0 setup, as can be done within Windows?

In which case, I have not a clue, but it's an interesting question ;)

I'm using two Raptors in a RAID 0 setup myself. It's fast :)

Ask a Question