Radioheads free ablum

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That was an interesting thing to do.

I actually paid a fiver for the album which was one pound more than the average UK price paid, not counting those who downloaded it for free to determine the average.

Let's see, they had no CD to supply, no packaging costs, very little promotioon costs, no distribution to pay for and there was no retailer making a profit. Only costs were their time and studio time.

Weighing up that little lot I'm figuring I paid too much and £3.00 would have been nearer the mark.

Still, it was a brave thing to do although Radiohead probably never need to work again for the rest of their lives. Because of their stance, I actually bought the album, I probably wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

My personal view is that the albums 'OK Computer' & 'The Bends' and the song 'Creep' were good and everything else they've done is pretty much average or downright rubbish, so I was pleasantly surprised to find this new album is actually quite good.

I've burnt it to CD and made a cover up for it, I think it's a good way to buy albums myself, although it would be good to be able to have the choice to download in WAV format.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Never bothered with the download meself and don't know about the group really .I agree that it was a very interesting excercise . They would have had some internetand web page costs aswell but I reckon they have shown a good profit from the launch . I believe that they have just released a physical copy of the album aswwell this week .
I think this shows the power of the internet and is a good way forward for the music industry as it will loosen the grip of the big companies .Paying artists tens of millions to one artist was not good for the music scene as it did not give a chance to the thousands of small unknown artists some of whom are very very good . This type of internet initiative will help the smaller artists and give us the public a much wider choice.
Yuo have to laugh at the idiots who took the chance of downloading the music from other sites . Why take the chance of downloadind something that you don't know who or where it came from when you could have downloaded for free from a guaranteed source . Oh well thats free choice I guess .

:D

Ask a Question