Radio-activity and PCs

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone will know the answer to this, but fingers crossed :) ...

My husband has to have his thyroid "zapped" with a dose of radio-active iodine early next month. Presumably he won't actually glow-in-the-dark afterwards ;)... but we have been given an A4 sheet of instructions regarding things to be avoided for at least a fortnight, or up to one month. This includes having to use separate cutlery and crockery, avoiding any close contact with others (that is being within one meter's distance) for more than one hour... that kind of thing.

One thing which isn't mentioned on the advice sheet, is whether he is likely to have any adverse effect on the PCs? He is not going to be fiddling around inside them of course, but does normally sit very close to one of the towers (can't be helped as space is limited.) Would Terry's "radio-activity" be likely to cause a problem either with the PCs or monitors does anyone know please?

Your views would be much appreciated :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Radiation affects magnetic media. The only item in a computer that stores data using magnetic fields is the hard disk.(edit: and floppy disks)

I would hazard a guess that any radiation introduced into a human body would be of such a low level it couldn't influence a hard disk's data patterns. The disk is, after all, shielded by at least two layers of metal, it's own case and the computer case.

I think the instructions you've been given are erring on the side of over-cautioness, there is a lot of natural radiation present in our everyday atmosphere and levels vary day to day.

Still, I'm no medical perp, so maybe it would be best to speak to his medical team to put your mind at rest.

Other media usually present in the average household that could be affected by radiation are Audio Cassettes & Video Cassettes.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply Flopps, I must admit, we have been wondering whether the advice is going a bit "overboard." The therapy itself only involves taking a drink of the stuff to "kill" off a hot-nodule which sometimes causes an over-active thyroid - so I would have thought that the effects would not be that strong after the first 24 hours or so - although having said that, they even advise double-loo-flushes! :lol: (Sorry, probably too much information there ;) )

It is helpful to know your opinion re the PCs though :thumb: thank you for that.

I have been threatening to make tin-foil suits for myself and our cats :lol:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
DO NOT WORRY TC

Iodine 131 has been used for about 50 years in the treatment of thyroid problems and is EXTREMELY safe. The amount of radioactive iodine needed is very small, simply because almost all the iodine in the body is concentrated by the thyroid gland where it can then do its job i.e.destroying thyroid cells. A small amount ends up in the urine, hence the need for extra flushing.The concentrating effect of the thyroid is so rapid that the rest of the body is not effected at all - a wonderful solution to thyroid problems. It's just a pity that other organs do not concentrate certain specific elements, otherwise there would be many more "cures" for other diseases.

The iodine 131 has a half-life of about 8 days and the radiation does not penetrate very far. So, 8 days after the administration there will only be half of the radioactivity left and 16 days after there will only be a quarter and so on. But remember half of a very small amount is an extremely small amount.

I think it is fair to say that both you and the computers will be very safe. :thumb: As Flops says all the important bits of your PC are encased in metal and your other half is unlikely to sit with his neck on the monitor for 24 hours a day.

WORRY NOT. :wave:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh thank you Nivrip :) I guess the hospital decided to err on the side of over-cautiousness to protect itself as much as anything. Speaking to the consultant, we had the impression that it was mainly necessary to avoid small children or anyone who might be preggers and potentially more vulnerable.

I'm grateful to you both for your observations and help (although I think the foil suits looked rather fetching ;) )

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... I wonder if I live far enough away to avoid fallout

I'll add my tuppence ... You have no worries with Radio Active Man affecting your PCs. If you like, I can rent you a geiger counter, very cheap, only £50 an hour.

It's the 'little' things that are annoying ... have you informed your next door neighbour about possible 'fallout', did the instruction sheet mention, no sex, now that's a bummer. ;)

Did they give Terry any bio-hazard signs to stick around the house, street, Caerphilly?

I wouldn't bother with "tin foil" hats or full body armour, they'll melt anyway. :thumb:

Niv knows what he's talking about.
nod.gif

It's a great forum we have here ...
laughingsmiley.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: .... but at least we had our priorities right, worrying about the PCs :rolleyes: ;)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
avoiding any close contact with others (that is being within one meter's distance) for more than one hour...

It's the old joke again - how do you make it last one hour? :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
What could Niv mean :rolleyes: Ah yes... the bus ... ! It says on that form that he mustn't use public transport for journeys taking longer than one hour (true) Thinking of getting him a bell ... "unclean... unclean..." :lol: :lol:

Reaction score
Taffy Cat the toilet flushing is quiet important as the urine & stools (plus sweating)are the real main source's of gettting iodine out of the body and the urine can effect the hands if anything splashies on them, hence good to have a good liquid hand soap to use.

Oh and i hope Mr TaffyCat gets better.:nod:

Nivrip your not a failed/struck off Doctor are you?:p

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
feckit said:
Taffy Cat the toilet flushing is quiet important as the urine & stools (plus sweating)are the real main source's of gettting iodine out of the body and the urine can effect the hands if anything splashies on them, hence good to have a good liquid hand soap to use.

Oh and i hope Mr TaffyCat gets better.:nod:

Nivrip your not a failed/struck off Doctor are you?:p

Terry, aka "Radio Active Man" ;) says to thank you for the good wishes :D And yes, we always keep a good supply of liquid soaps :thumb:

Hmmm...:rolleyes: perhaps Niv is more into nuclear physics ... One thing is for sure, PC Review is host to quite a diversity of folk, so it is nearly always possible to get answers to almost anything :thumb: :D

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Hmmm...:rolleyes: perhaps Niv is more into nuclear physics ... One thing is for sure, PC Review is host to quite a diversity of folk, so it is nearly always possible to get answers to almost anything :thumb: :D
Well Niv is 100 this June (it's in his profile!) & a Semi Retired Hobo!!

Ask a Question