Quirky Recycle Issues on Roaming Profile

G

This network is set to use roaming profiles, and the client PCs are running Win2k Pro.

I've got a strange recycle bin issue with one user's profile. If I drag a file to the recycle bin, I get a prompt to permanently delete the file--yes = permanent, no=file goes back to its spot. In other words, I can't put objects in the recycle bin. If you try to drag items to the RECYCLER folder on his profile, same thing.

I've tried deleting the recycler folder, and windows rebuilds it, though the issue remains. I've given him administrative rights. I've logged into other computers, and the problem follows his profile. Other users' recycle bin works fine.

If I drag a file to the recycle bin on Windows Explorer, I get the same problem. If I right-click | delete, it bypasses the recycle bin, prompting for a permanent delete.

Now here's the doubly strange part; If I create a shortcut to the recycle bin in a temp folder and drag files from within the temp folder to that recycle bin shortcut, it works. If I drag files from the desktop to the recycle bin shortcut in the temp folder, it doesn't. Weird.

I can't find any topics on tech net that cover anything like this. Thanks!

G

Ryan,

Let me know if you get an answer to this(in case I miss the response), I have the same issue on a few PC's.

Thanks,
Bill

----- Ryan Hutchings wrote: -----

This network is set to use roaming profiles, and the client PCs are running Win2k Pro.

I've got a strange recycle bin issue with one user's profile. If I drag a file to the recycle bin, I get a prompt to permanently delete the file--yes = permanent, no=file goes back to its spot. In other words, I can't put objects in the recycle bin. If you try to drag items to the RECYCLER folder on his profile, same thing.

I've tried deleting the recycler folder, and windows rebuilds it, though the issue remains. I've given him administrative rights. I've logged into other computers, and the problem follows his profile. Other users' recycle bin works fine.

If I drag a file to the recycle bin on Windows Explorer, I get the same problem. If I right-click | delete, it bypasses the recycle bin, prompting for a permanent delete.

Now here's the doubly strange part; If I create a shortcut to the recycle bin in a temp folder and drag files from within the temp folder to that recycle bin shortcut, it works. If I drag files from the desktop to the recycle bin shortcut in the temp folder, it doesn't. Weird.

I can't find any topics on tech net that cover anything like this. Thanks!

Ask a Question