Quiet AMD64 coolers.

Black Shuck

Got my AMD Winchester 3500+ amd Asus A8V Deluxe board, but the fan makes
WAY too much noise compared to my old P4 system. I have "Cool and NotSo
Quiet" enabled, along with Q-Fan2 in the BIOS, and it made a small
improvement.

The temps are quite normal (48 oC), so i think it's just a shity quality
AMD boxed fan.

Anyone recommend a way of making it quiet, so I can think again in
peace? Was looking at a Zalman 7700 AlCu, but quite pricy for a CPU
HS/Fan. Anything as good but cheaper???

Wes Newell

Got my AMD Winchester 3500+ amd Asus A8V Deluxe board, but the fan makes
WAY too much noise compared to my old P4 system. I have "Cool and NotSo
Quiet" enabled, along with Q-Fan2 in the BIOS, and it made a small
improvement.

The temps are quite normal (48 oC), so i think it's just a shity quality
AMD boxed fan.

Anyone recommend a way of making it quiet, so I can think again in peace?
Was looking at a Zalman 7700 AlCu, but quite pricy for a CPU HS/Fan.
Anything as good but cheaper???

Replace the fan with a 70->80mm fan adapter, then install an 80x25mm
fan. While the stock fan leaves a lot to be desired, the actual HS itself
is quite good.

DougH

Got my AMD Winchester 3500+ amd Asus A8V Deluxe board, but the fan makes
WAY too much noise compared to my old P4 system. I have "Cool and NotSo
Quiet" enabled, along with Q-Fan2 in the BIOS, and it made a small
improvement.

The temps are quite normal (48 oC), so i think it's just a shity quality
AMD boxed fan.

You are probably right about getting a bad quality fan. I'm running the AMD
fan on mine with Cool n Quiet enabled and my cpu temp reads a very quiet
30C.

DougH
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe/AMD 3500+
MSI NX6800GT

John Hollingsworth

*From:* Black Shuck <[email protected]>
*Date:* Sat, 22 Jan 2005 00:32:43 +0000

Got my AMD Winchester 3500+ amd Asus A8V Deluxe board, but the fan
makes WAY too much noise compared to my old P4 system. I have "Cool
and NotSo Quiet" enabled, along with Q-Fan2 in the BIOS, and it made a
small improvement.

The temps are quite normal (48 oC), so i think it's just a shity
quality AMD boxed fan.

Anyone recommend a way of making it quiet, so I can think again in
peace? Was looking at a Zalman 7700 AlCu, but quite pricy for a CPU
HS/Fan. Anything as good but cheaper???
I'm using a Zalman Al-Cu 7000 on an A8V and 3500+ Newcastle, and am
impressed with its quietness. I've disable C & Q and also Q Fan. The
Zalman fan is set to min and runs at ~ 1380 giving an Idle CPU temp of ~
36 deg C and ~ 48 deg on full load. If you are going to a lot of 100% CPU
usage you can enable Q Fan and use that to control the Zalman fan.

John

Please remove "NO-SPAM" if sending email.

DougH

You are probably right about getting a bad quality fan. I'm running the
AMD
fan on mine with Cool n Quiet enabled and my cpu temp reads a very quiet
30C.

Forgot to mention, with a load it gets to about 48C.

DougH
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe/AMD 3500+
MSI NX6800GT

DougH

You are probably right about getting a bad quality fan. I'm running the
AMD
fan on mine with Cool n Quiet enabled and my cpu temp reads a very quiet
30C.

Forgot to mention, normal working temps are about 40C to 44C. With a load
like Seti@Home it gets to about 48C.

DougH
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe/AMD 3500+
MSI NX6800GT