Question for Sir Flopps

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
And to number four...

30 mins long; Fair bit of talking; starts back streets near Thames barrier on Woolwich/Charlton borders to Blackheath, Greenwich Town centre, Rotherhithe tunnel, Wapping, Tower Bridge and back to Blackheath.

I like the part where I slowly cross Tower Bridge, imo the music fits well. The music, btw, is a mix from a guy at another forum I frequent named Imaginasian, although he longer goes there.

This one is 30 mins long and would have benefited from a little editing, those parts where I'm stuck in traffic are tedious. It's also hard to make out what I'm saying. Anyhow, here it is, hope you're feeling better today TC

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Wicked lad that you are Sir Flopps!! Or should that be "Sou' Wester Man" - that was a good look!! :lol:

We thoroughly enjoyed today's tour, and it was interesting to see Tower Bridge from a driver's perspective, instead of the usual long-shots we normally see, courtesy of the Beeb.

It's great to see some of the by-ways and streets which are not so well known (to most of us.) I particularly like the ones which still have plenty of their original architecture - but enjoy seeing the more recent iconic landmarks such as the Gherkin peeping over the rooftops too.

Btw Flopps - how did you secure your camera on the dash? Did you use a Gorilla-tripod? Blue tack..? Or some other devious device?

Thanks for the good wishes CL and Flopps... it's more than 10 years since I last had a cold, hence this one has completely clobbered me. Kitten-weak atm, which I'm hating, plus a lousy headache which isn't helped by coughing and sneezing. I need a vet! :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
When I was eleven years old I was visited during the night by aliens from the third ring southwest of Alpha Centauri and in return for me giving them directions to Catford Town centre they bestowed upon me the power of levitation and I had great fun making my Dad's porridge float and spin some breakfast times and that is how the camera was mounted in the front of the vehicle.

Well, no, actually that's a lie. I used a purpose made tripod from RS with several bungees for stability. Tech finesse at it's most grandoise n'est ce pas?

Reaction score
When I was eleven years old I was visited during the night by aliens from the third ring southwest of Alpha Centauri and in return for me giving them directions to Catford Town centre they bestowed upon me the power of levitation and I had great fun making my Dad's porridge float and spin some breakfast times and that is how the camera was mounted in the front of the vehicle.
I did wonder where you got your sense of humour from?:lol:
Have you ever been detained under a section 12?:p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Have you ever been detained under a section 12?:p

Well sir, I must confess to having been detained several times during my stay on this planet sometimes I heard the words 'in his own recognisance' mentioned and a sum of cash quoted and other times they gave me this jacket and despite my complaints and protestations they wouldn't give me a different jacket with shorter sleeves. I have never been privvy to which section these actions were affiliated to.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It's called a 'Section 2', not 12, which in turn can be elevated to a 'Section 3', a 'Section 117' does not apply in this case ... you don't need to know how I know. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Five...

Biggin Hill, Westerham, Hever.... dull grey overcast rainy day... short walkabout in graveyard.... heavy rock soundtrack... 43 minutes.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
This was good. :thumb: Well actually, we're enjoying them all, as you might have already guessed.

The villages looked attractive, even on that rather rainy day - some of the pubs looked inviting too.

Crikey, I thought it was bad enough for narrow, twisty roads around here, but that was quite a hairy left-hand bend in your vid... :eek:

I particularly liked the little walk around the graveyard of the church in Haver... what is it about those places..? Strangely, they don't seem at all morbid, do they; just old, peaceful, tranquil... and interesting when the very old inscriptions are still legible on the gravestones.

floppybootstomp said:

Well, no, actually that's a lie. I used a purpose made tripod from RS with several bungees for stability. Tech finesse at it's most grandoise n'est ce pas?

Haha, Flopps you wag...! :lol: :cheers:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've been visiting Shoreham, the first village, most of my life. When I was about 13 I went camping with about five mates at a place named Badgers Mount which was memorable for me for two things. One of the lads, Derek Smith, managed to snaffle a bottle of sherry and brought it with him. On Saturday afternoon we drank it.

That is, we all had a small sniffter each and Derek drank all the rest. After a while he turned green, then grey, then blue and threw up in a mosty spectacular fashion and passed out. We put him in a sleeping bag and he didn't wake up til Sunday morning, no hangover, much to our surprise.

At around 8pm we all (except Derek) decided to walk to Shoreham which is 2 or 3 miles away on the other side of a valley. These days it's a National trust reserve area with BBQ tables and stuff but back then it was just wild meadow and forest.

When we arrived in Shoreham it was still daylight and we mooched about, wished we were old enough to go in the pubs then started out walking back to the tents. By then it was dark and as soon as we left the village it was pitch black. Being townies we weren't used to this and it took a great deal of willpower on my part not to admit I was scared rigid and probably everybody else felt the same as me.

How we never got lost is beyond me but eventually we arrived back at our tents and collapsed into a deep sleep for the night.

In the video, when I drive across the bridge over the stream, the two houses together opposite, both in block colours, used to be a pub that had sofas, armchairs and a big coal fire going. Tis a pub no more, which is a shame.

One more thing, that Derek Smith again. He lived in New Cross and when his Mum and Dad went on holiday he invited us all round his home. Then he got out his Dad's hidden cine projector and we were treated to our first black and white films of naughty ladies of the night prancing around nekkid.

Had a catastrophic affect on this young boy's psyche, I was so deeply traumatised I started fancying women. Awful eh?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Haha... poor Derek. Sherry is one of those drinks we tend to associate with our grannies sipping daintily on family (or festive) occasions. Or the vicar in sit-coms.

Do you remember "Pony - the little drink with the big kick" which was popular for a wee while, back in the 60s/70s? (For anyone who doesn't, it was actually sweet cream sherry, which came in small, individual bottles, with a fancy foil top.) Lethal stuff! :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I spent a coupla nights downloading some stuff then on Friday night/Saturday morning attempted to upload the next one but it failed.

My internet connection has been playing up, and on that occasion the upload failed because of that.

All today it has been dropping in and out and my download speed is currently 7.51 and upload speed 0.37, less than usual.

Spoke to ISP tech advice and there is a problem, and according to their best guess it's either the exchange or a problem local to me (my building's wiring, router prob or other).

So no upload for now. I'm going to get a new router and also considering going for fibre broadband connection as it's now available for me. It'll cost a bit more but oddly enough that amount is covered by what I'm saving on new mobile phone comtract (my goodness they're desperate)

Anyhow, that's why no upload for now, will keep y'all posted.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh, that Pony drink? I remember a sales rep coming into the pub where I was working doing a disco and asking the governor 'What would you say if I asked you for a Pony?'

And Billy pointed him towards the Gents' Karzi. The sales rep, puzzled, asked 'What do you mean'.

We all chuckled and guffawed.

Cockney rhyming slang: Pony = Pony and Trap - Crap as in 'I'm dying for a pony, where's the Gents?'

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ooh sorry you're having internet problems - always a bummer.

Good to hear the fibre option is now available to you though and, with the saving on your mobile phone contract, it sounds as if the runes are guiding you to take up that option. ;) Hope it can all be speedily sorted out... allowing for inevitable Bank Holiday delays, of course.

Any idea which router you'll be going for...?

floppybootstomp said:
Oh, that Pony drink? I remember a sales rep coming into the pub where I was working doing a disco and asking the governor 'What would you say if I asked you for a Pony?'

And Billy pointed him towards the Gents' Karzi. The sales rep, puzzled, asked 'What do you mean'.

We all chuckled and guffawed.

Cockney rhyming slang: Pony = Pony and Trap - Crap as in 'I'm dying for a pony, where's the Gents?
:lol::lol::thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My internet connection seems to have stabilised, the dropouts I suffered were possibly the fault of the exchange, maybe it was unmanned over the Bank Holiday. I have ordered a new router anyway from my ISP Zen, £35, wireless, ADSL 1, 2 and fibre capable with four ethernet ports, doesn't hurt to have a spare and I'm now sorted for fibre connection should I choose that option.

And so to number six, a visit to Hastings. This was a few days prior to surgery in April 20006 as I recall and as I remember this has walkabout footage in it and the wind makes quite a noise on the camera Mic. But I haven't looked at this one prior to posting so cannot remember precisely.

Here's 34 minutes worth:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
....And a very enjoyable 34 minutes worth it was Flopps! That stiff seaside breeze really blew away the cobwebs. :thumb:

I didn't know Hastings had one of those funicular railway/lift thingies. Thought I spotted it in the distance when you were panning around, but wasn't certain. Then you very obligingly took us to ride on it! That was fun. An awfully good way to be able to get up and down that very steep cliff.

Super views from the cliff-top, it seemed so peaceful up there, with the birds all singing; a really nice spot.

I'm glad your internet is behaving again, but yes, a good idea to have a spare router. TBH I kept our old router after installing the new one "just in case." I think of it as insurance - even though it probably wouldn't work so well with LLU, lol. :D

Thanks muchly for posting another tour Flopps. They're great. :cheers:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Brings back lots of memories does Hastings, remember going in that dome shaped italian restaurant the other side of the roundabout at 31:40 in the vid, had a really nice meal in there with the family back in about 2006
Loved feeding the seagulls on the wing in gusty winds on the seafront, wow they can really move and are just such skillful flyers..

Thanks for posting Flopp's and glad your getting your web probs sorted..

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I haven't forgotten this, it's just that I have to edit Number Seven, a trip to Sandwich in Kent. In this one there is a slideshow part way through of the town of Sandwich with commentary by myself and during the commentary I make a somewhat disparaging remark against ex wife # 2.

That's how I felt at the time but the bitterness has now dissipated and I figured life's too short to harbour hatred and I regret the remark. So I need to edit it out of the audio stream, all I gotta do is figure out how to do that thing, never done that before. I wouldn't have bothered but Youtube is open to the public, including folk who I know ;)

I have a fairly up to date version of Pinnacle Studio and there's also Windows Movie maker, I must now force myself to sit down and do it but as the weather's so nice I've been outside a lot.

So bear wiv me, I'll get there in the end :)