Question for Sir Flopps

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Wow! Digging out my posh frock even as we speak... sounds as if your mate Luigi is pulling out all the stops at his greasy spoon. You'll probably have to attend the Cannes Film Festival after this, so hope you have some free space on your shelf for the awards.

On a more serious note... I'm feeling a tad embarrassed now. I didn't realise it was quite such a big ask - with such lengthy uploads and all that. :blush: It's jolly kind of you to go to so much trouble... and much appreciated. Really looking forward to viewing the videos. :nod:

Now... where did I leave my Jimmy Choo's...? (The bloke who sold them to me from his pitch just outside the indoor market, assured me they were genuine. Apparently, the name only looks like "Timmy Shoo" because of the stylised lettering on the designer label.) :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
First upload to Youtube failed :( They tell me the file could not be processed and to check that it plays back ok on my computer. I've played the first few minutes but not all 30 minutes.

However, on my media machine I'm using a Gigabyte motherboard and from the drivers disk that came with it it installed a piece of software named 'Easy Tune' which, apparently, is for overclocking.

I kept getting error messages telling me 'GUI MFC has failed' and a search told me Easy Tune was to blame. So I have now uninstalled that unneeded software and will try to upload the first file again tonight. And if I get time I'll play the file back in it's entirety just to check before uploading.

Think I'll stick to Asus boards in future, despite the LAN chip failing on the last one I purchased.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Here's the first one then.

This is probably the plainest of them all, no narration, just driving and featuring the music of just the one band.

Later footage features my dulcet tones and some non-driving footage.

This is the vehicle used in all of them:

8482d1368682828-question-sir-flopps-merc.jpg

Attachments

• merc.jpg
    merc.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 475

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... just about to go shopping, I put popcorn on me list. :)

I'll be right back, don't change the channel. :cool:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Yay! Thank you Flopps, we've just enjoyed the first of your sight-seeing tours with cups of post-brekkie coffee.

We're both now feeling nostalgic for the days when cars were not all "round" as they are now. One knew exactly how close the front (or rear) end was to any obstacle, because the bonnet (or boot) didn't disappear from view. Okay so I'm a dinosaur, lol. Still a very nice car though. :nod:

I noticed that you had quite a lot of 20 mph zones back then. They're just being introduced around here, mostly in school zones atm.

Must say we're really looking forward to your commentaries. There are so many interesting looking features, (buildings and what-not) that we found ourselves saying "ooh, wonder what that place is..?" quite a few times. Particularly that large building which looked like a castle....

Great of you to upload these Flopps. :nod: :thumb:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I just moseyed through that whilst havin a coffee and even though you are in the heart of London Flopp's it still seems quite semi rural, in fact it looked very similar to here in the burbs..

I'm gonna get a fish and chip supper in for the next one..:D:drool:

What did you film that with?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's not really the heart of London, in fact I'd call it the suburbs myself. I'd say central London probably starts from the south side at London Bridge or The Borough area.

I'm fairly sure it was filmed with a Canon G9 but possibly the camera I had before that one. The quality isn't that good if you go beyond the size of the screen in the post, possibly because of the rendering used but not sure really.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I thought if it was inside the M25 it was London, if its outside the M25 its the suburbs...Well it is this way North easterly direction, perhaps its slightly different over on the south side..;)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Interesting. What was the music playing ? Had me tapping my foot away quite nicely :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
ED: Bloc Party's first album 'Invisible Alarm'.

As for defining London, I've always used the criteria that if it has a London Postcode then it's London. The M25 encircles parts of several counties including Kent, Essex, Hertfordshire, Surrey, Middlesex et al. For me, the M25 is my work area, my 'limit' if you will.

Having said that, there are large parts of this fair capital that seem very rural, Blackheath being a case in point, it's actually referred to as Blackheath Village, as is Hampstead.

But I always think of London as the City and The West End.

And here we have part of the West End, I manage to drive from Trafalgar Square into The Strand in a bus lane (around 23:45), I was very lucky not to get nicked. In my defence m'lud, the road wasn't like that the last time I drove round there, why must you keep changing things? Oh, Ozric Tentacles, in case you're wondering ;)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Brilliant you lane hopper you..:D

Which Album Flopp's?

TC is gonna love this one with Buckingham palace, Big Ben, Houses of parliament, the London Eye etc etc its a tourists dream, ever thought of doing an open top car tour although you'll need a can opener for that..:lol:

Hang on 23:45 it didn't get dark...Wha'z goin on, you been on them Ozric's haven't you Flopp's :p

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Yes, CL is correct, TC and OH did indeed enjoy that tour immensely. We're unashamed armchair tourists, lol.

Recognised lots of the well-known landmarks, of course, but in any case, the scenery is so unmistakably London. Even for those of us who have never visited the city (raises hand...) it feels familiar.

The pedestrians seem to be pretty well-trained... as soon as the lights change, traffic starts to move and they obligingly just hop out of the way, lol.

Thanks again for uploading these vids Flopps, they're awfully good. :nod: :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Part way through these I suspect folk will become terribly bored with them. I would imagine there are those even now who are being polite and staying schtumm out of politeness ;)

The album in the London vid was Ozric Tentacles' 1st allbum Pungent Effulgent - link:

Me on the Ozrics? Nah, never favoured Mushrooms, took 'em just the once, didn't like that at all.

I notice I appear to have gone through a red light on entering the Mall. Oh, I'm a bad bad boy, bad to the bone :D

Polite pedestrians? Aye, I guess so, but not as polite as those in Tokyo. But on the other hand considerably more polite than those in Calcutta and Hanoi ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I appear to have gone through a red light on entering the Mall.
Heehee.... the red light was noticed here too, but far too polite to mention it. :p

Oh ye of little faith Mr Bootstomp! An audience of two humans and four moggies are looking forward to the rest of the series and, judging from the 400+ hits this thread has received, the PCR screening-room is probably going to be filled to capacity.

Not sure if it's possible for changes to be made to the thread title, but it might not be obvious to some folk, that videos have been uploaded already. Maybe some are expecting a separate thread... just a thought.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Part way through these I suspect folk will become terribly bored with them. I would imagine there are those even now who are being polite and staying schtumm out of politeness ;)

The album in the London vid was Ozric Tentacles' 1st allbum Pungent Effulgent - link:
Ahh good man :)

As for the staying schtuuuummm and being polite...They can jolly well stay schtuummm..:nod: as I am enjoying them and the music too!
Hadn't heard of the Tentacles either so you opened my eyes today and I learnt something :bow:
Quite liked it so will be looking into getting that album

We asked you to put these vids up Flopp's and know the time it takes to upload and the work it involves not to mention electricity used with pc's left on overnight while it does the job...We appreciate your efforts and am enjoying the vids...Besides I get to laugh at your driving whilst I'm watching..Red light anyone..:lol::p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The third offering, possibly the most dull so it's just as well it's only 17 minutes long.

A romp around the environs of North Kent taking in the villages of Shoreham and Eynsford and large swathes of dual carriageway. Rivetting huh? :)

When all have been posted I will put all the Youtube links in a seperate thread with a link to that thread in this one.

PS/EDIT: This is the first one I talk in, only a little but nevertheless some waffle. Oh, and I cuss too, ha ha!

Ozric Tentacles: As well as Pungent Effulgent I can recommend 'Strangeitude' that was the first album of theirs I bought - on vinyl. I also have Arborescence which I don't think is as good as the two previously mentioned. All the others I haven't heard.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Great stuff "Uncle Flopps" lol, and good to hear your dulcet tones too. :thumb: It's interesting to see how similar some of that scenery is, to some of the areas around here.:D

Sorry to be a bit brief today, it's no reflection on your vid... but currently not well and feeling like death-warmed-up atm. :(