Question for Ian

Reaction score
An Idea!

How would you feel about incorporating Shoutcast into the forum.

Peopl on the so called 'Nightshift' could listen to all kinds of music then

Not sure what the legal implications are, however plenty of sites do it

Just a thought. I would host a channel. Puters is on anyway so why not ;)

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
An Idea!

How would you feel about incorporating Shoutcast into the forum.

Peopl on the so called 'Nightshift' could listen to all kinds of music then

Not sure what the legal implications are, however plenty of sites do it

Just a thought. I would host a channel. Puters is on anyway so why not ;)
Er what is Shoutcast:blush: :confused:
I think you may need to educate me on music on the net:thumb: ;)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Naive meeeeee

I`m naive too...why incorporate it when all it takes is opening a new window and listening ;)

Reaction score
Its all about being cultured

Different days of the week could be for different types of music

All it takes is to tune in. Also it dont just have to be forum members people from all over the world can listen too. Jingles can be preprogrammed into the schedule advertising the forum and could bring in more crunchers

Only an idea

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
never heard of it...but will check it out m8 :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
So is it like a radio station that people can tune into? If its legal, and people would use it then I don't see why not :)

Have you done anything like this before TD as you sound as if you know what you are talking about :D Not used anything like this myself!

Reaction score
Yeah sorta an online station anyone can tune into. It is legal loads of people do it. Have you cheked out the website?

I did have a go from my PC but didnt really carry it on. Its better if its broadcast using a website like this one as a hub. Lots more people get to use it then

Have a look see in more depth and maybe we can have a go.

I know to use a website as a sorta hub is a bit more indepth so thats why I suggested it.

There are full tuts on how to set it up and get it working on the site

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
naw naw, haven't we got enough noise around here without a fliping radio blaring out to?

:confused:

Reaction score
Thats the beauty of it if you dont wanna listen then dont click on the link to start Shoutcast

EDIT**

Found a great Tut for people to get aquainted with

http://www.allinternetradio.com/shoutcast.asp

Found this too;

Complying with copyright laws

Musical compositions and sound recordings are creative works that are protected by the copyright laws of the United States (title 17, U.S. Code) and other countries. Under U.S. law, the owner of a copyright has the exclusive right to (and to authorize others to) reproduce the work, use parts of the work in a new creation, distribute the work in whole or in part, and to publicly display or perform the work (including on web pages and through webcasting). With few exceptions, it is illegal to reproduce, distribute or broadcast a sound recording without the permission of the copyright owner. It is your responsibility to comply with the copyright laws when you become a webcaster.
There have been recent amendments to the copyright law regarding webcasting of sound recordings. These new provisions allow webcasting under the terms of a statutory license, as a way to help webcasters get permission without having to go to each sound recording's owner. The statutory license, however, has strict requirements that you must follow. Some of these requirements include the payment of license fees, limitations on the number of songs from the same album or artist that may be played in a three hour period (called the sound recording performance complement); a prohibition on publishing advance playlists; and a requirement to identify the song, artist and album on the website. There are other requirements as well. The Recording Industry Association of America provides quite a bit of information on copyright law as it applies to webcasting, and both ASCAP and BMI have created license agreements that they are willing to grant to webcasters that they believe conform to the provisions of the new copyright rules for webcasting. For additional information on the statutory license and other aspects of webcasting, please visit the following sites:

The U.S. Copyright Office
The Recording Industry Association of America - particularly http://www.riaa.com/issues/music/webcasting.asp
ASCAP - particularly http://www.ascap.com/weblicense/webintro.html
BMI - particularly http://www.bmi.com/iama/webcaster/index.asp

Maybe we should sack it LOL

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, just read that last part and it might make things more complicated :) Don't really fancy paying lots of royalty fees ;)

The RIAA are really clamping down on this sort of thing by the sounds of it, so I think we'll have to give it a miss.

Reaction score
Not so bad if your a private server but when serving via a website makes all the more difficult

Oh well never mind another idea bites the dust

Oh you had your results yet m8?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Not so bad if your a private server but when serving via a website makes all the more difficult

Oh well never mind another idea bites the dust

Oh you had your results yet m8?
No worries, was a good idea :thumb:

I think the results are about 3 weeks away, but will post as soon as they arrive :D

Ask a Question