Quality sound driver system

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Looking to poke some of the audiophiles out there.

Anyone play with cone-less audio drivers? You know, the ones that turn any surface into a speaker. I am looking to put together a project that requires the ability to put out as low as 20hz. I thought about speaker systems but the application requires air to create transfer the frequency. Otherwise, the physical contact would damage the cone. The idea is to use this on fiberglass, anywhere from 1/2"(13mm) to 1"(25mm) thick with water on the opposite side.

So far, I've been able to put together some searches that lead me to this product.
http://www.vidsonix.com/vidsonixnew/info_vxgh72.htm

This is seriously under powered for what I plan to do. I need to be able to transmit fairly high amplitude 20hz to around 120hz.

I got to play with a system a few years ago during a audio system installation. We blew the ceiling panels out of the cabin on this yacht when the volume cranked. To shreds if I remember what the manufacturer was.

Show me what you got.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I tried one of these a long, long time ago (it was called OmniVox). It worked really well on glass and tables - although the fidelity wasn't fantastic, as you might expect.

What are you planning on building with it, it sounds interesting!

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I have an idea to create a frequency generator to simulate a particular animal behavior. I don't want to divulge too much, yet, as I am evaluating this project for potential patent on design.

Typically, people have used standard subwoofers to accomplish what I want to do. This, however is based on an existing audio system and while music brings some of the desired frquency at times when the subs thump. I want to build a stand-alone system that I can connect a small tone generator to an amplifier to run the audio driver. This system would be completely seperate from the audio system. Ideally, I would like to be able to generate a few different frequencies with the push of a button. I'm sure this will require a couple different sized audio drivers in one unit.

I am still in brainstorming mode.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score

Ask a Question