tim [ben's post below]

From: Ben Crinion - view profile
Date: Thurs, Mar 16 2006 11:40 am
Email: "Ben Crinion" <[email protected]>
Groups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
Not yet rated
Rating:
hide options

original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Hi

Im using ASP.NET 2 with C# in codebehind files and Visual Studio 2005
Team
Edition.

I have embedded lots of XML Documentation (<summary>,<see>,etc) into my
ASP.NET project in code behind files of ASP pages, user controls and
classes
in the App_Code directory. I have added the "/doc" compiler option
using the
web.config (see snippet at bottom of post).

When i build my website it seems to only generate the XML documentation
for
one
directory. It never generates all the documentation for the website, i
can
get it to generate documentation for different directorys but i dont
know
how I do it, it seems a bit inconsistant.

Is there a way to generate all documentation for the web project?

Also if i give the full path to the /doc option i can find the output
but if
i just give a file name i dont know where it creates the file.

Has anyone ever had any success with XML documentation and VS 2005? Let
me
know if there is a work around that im missing on the web.

Thanks
Ben Crinion

<system.codedom>
<compilers>
<compiler
language="c#;cs;csharp"
extension=".cs"
type="Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeProvider"
compilerOptions="/doc:c:\XMLDOCS.xml"
warningLevel="1" />
</compilers>
</system.codedom

David Hogue

Tim_Mac said:
hi,
i have VS2005 professional, and i would like to generate a complete
documentation reference for all the classes in my web project. i would
have thought this was as simple as a button or build option? i have
all the <summary> tags etc.

Look into the Web Application Projects addon. If you have a web
application instead of a web site you get all the options for
documentation that you would get with a normal application/class library
project.

Another option would be to move all the classes that you want to
document to a separate class library project. Depending how your
classes are organized and what classes you want to document this might
not be an option.
ben crinion posted a similar question in march and it went unanswered.
he was able to get the files documented for a single folder by adding
some sections to his web.config. my site has tons of folders so i
don't like the thought of adding (and maintaining) 50 lines of code to
web.config just to get some xml comment files. what's the best
approach?

The default web projects in vs2005 are a little limited. I don't know
that there is a way other then what Ben has.

Tim_Mac

thanks david
just trying that out now. i guess this was added by popular demand, a
lot of people actually liked the 1.1 web deployment model.

cheers
tim