Put News/Discussion Group in Outlook

Brad

I have managed to put my favorite new/discussion groups in Windows Mail, but
can't figure out how to add them to Outlook. I have been using Windows Mail
as a stepping stone into full Outlook and want to eventually get away from
Mail if I can. Can Outlook access new or discussion groups like this one?

Brad
OE 6 on XP
Mail on Vista Business 64
Outlook 2007 on Vista Business 64

Ken Blake, MVP

I have managed to put my favorite new/discussion groups in Windows Mail, but
can't figure out how to add them to Outlook. I have been using Windows Mail
as a stepping stone into full Outlook and want to eventually get away from
Mail if I can. Can Outlook access new or discussion groups like this one?

No. Outlook can not do newsgroups at all, unless you use one of a few
add-ins for it. I've tried a couple of those add-ins and I didn't like
them, but you might want to try them for yourself.

Besides, unlike many other people, I would *rather* run separate
programs for mail and newsgroups.

Brad

For 14 years I have run a separate calendar and to-do lists from my emails
using Franklin Planner's Ascend, but kept my emails and newsgroups together
using Outlook Express. Why is it you like to have your newsgroups separate
from your emails? I am interested in your viewpoint as I may not use the
email portion of Outlook if I need to keep Windows Mail open for my
newsgroups. I would keep my old calendar, but it is a 16 bit program and
won't run on Vista 64 bit. I really can't downgrade my OS since I upgraded
so I could use 8 GB for AutoCAD.

By the way, is there any way to synchronize the email in both Outlook and
Mail?

Brad

DL

Outlook & Mail are mail handlers only, you would need an imap account to see
the same in both

Brad said:
[...]

Because I keep them both open at once, and I want to see both screens.

VanguardLH

Brad said:
kept my emails and newsgroups together
using Outlook Express. Why is it you like to have your newsgroups separate
from your emails? I am interested in your viewpoint as I may not use the
email portion of Outlook if I need to keep Windows Mail open for my
newsgroups. I would keep my old calendar, but it is a 16 bit program and
won't run on Vista 64 bit. I really can't downgrade my OS since I upgraded
so I could use 8 GB for AutoCAD.

Outlook is designed to be a corporate e-mail client, not a personal one.
Corporations are not clamoring for their employees to waste more of their
work time on non-work related tasks, like wasting time in newsgroups. Where
do you think the majority of licenses for Outlook are sold?

Outlook has not had nor will it likely ever have NNTP support. Corporations
aren't asking for NNTP support in Outlook. You could always go install an
NNTP add-on to Outlook if you feel that you must have e-mail and newsgroups
mixed together despite that NNTP is *not* an e-mail standard anymore than
chats via a instant messenger client are e-mail. Newshound and Mapilab have
add-ons to include NNTP support into Outlook. Check to see if they provide
trials of their software so you can test them to see if you like them.
Personally I find the rules set in a *real* NNTP client to be far more
useful and robust than those available in an e-mail client.

You think Microsoft designed Outlook EXPRESS as a business-class e-mail
client? It was fluffware (previously named Internet Mail & News, and why
Microsoft named the executable to msimn.exe) to bloat Internet Explorer to
further their aims at supplanting Mosiac as the web browser of choice.
Bloating the products or ancilliary programs included with them to enlarge
the feature list is not just a Microsoft ploy.

What stops you at using a different combo email+newsreader client? Windows
Live Mail is probably most like the Outlook Express with which you are
familiar. Thunderbird is email+newsreader and adds a calendar (after you
install the Lightning extension). EssentialPIM might be to your liking
(there's a free version but you might want to get the paid Pro version).

You could also run OE inside a virtual machine. VirtualPC, VMWare Server,
and VirtualBox are all free. Since you are running another instance of
Windows as a guest, you'll need another license of Windows to run in the VM.
That means you cannot use an old version of Windows from which you upgraded
because you retain only a single license to Windows when you upgrade (the
license transfers to the new version and you no longer have a license for
the old version). When running Windows as the host OS and another instance
of Windows inside a guest OS (in a VM), you'll need 2 licenses for Windows.
By the way, is there any way to synchronize the email in both Outlook and
Mail?

I haven't used the Windows Mail client in Windows Vista. It has its own
newsgroup at microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail. Those users can tell you
in what file formats that Windows Mail can export its message store (and
then see if it is one that Outlook lists as an import format).

Charles W Davis

Brad said:
I have managed to put my favorite new/discussion groups in Windows Mail,
but can't figure out how to add them to Outlook. I have been using Windows
Mail as a stepping stone into full Outlook and want to eventually get away
from Mail if I can. Can Outlook access new or discussion groups like this
one?

Brad
OE 6 on XP
Mail on Vista Business 64
Outlook 2007 on Vista Business 64
Brad, Mozilla Thunderbird is very newsgroup friendly.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

There Newshound is nice too.
See http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/news.htm for links to both programs.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

mailto:[email protected]

How many email accounts are in your main Outlook profile?