.pst size problem

J

James Parker

I know I am an idiot. I didn't archieve my Outlook 2003 .pst files when repeatedly prompted to do so. So I am admitting that right up front, and will understand the shower of abuse. With that understanding, my .pst file somehow reached over 4 gigs, but this was evidently not a problem until yesterday morning when Windows crashed for some unknown reason (black screen after POST).

I decided to take the opportunity to upgrade from XP to 7, and Outlook 2003 to 2007. After installation of Win 7, all my old files were intact under the Windows(old)file, and after I loaded Outlook 2007, I imported my old .pst file to 2007. It seemed to work ok, and I received no error messages during the transfer. When I attempted to run 2007 for the first time after that, however, it indicated that the .pst file was corrupted. The error message indicated that I needed to run Scanpst.exe, but it does not appear to work on files bigger than 2GB. While that led me to the "pst truncation utility," that seems to simply "snip" the end off of the file to get under the 2GB number (which in my case would be 2GB and woulde do nothing towards attempting to preserve the remaining 2GB of data. I have attempted to break the .pst file into smaller pieces unsuccessfully, and even tried to copy and move it to other computers still running Outlook 2003 (by both DVD and flash drive) to replace their .pst files then edit it down to a smaller size with no success.

Throwing myself on the mercy of my betters, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com

D

DL

Well Outlook 2003 using the native unicode format doesnt have a size
limitation
Niether import or export is the way to deal with native outlook data, as
detailed here daily
If your data file had been created by an earlier version of Outlook (eg 2002
or prior) it would have bombed out long before reaching 4gb

Did you do any diagnostics to asertain as to why your sys crashed? perhaps
your drive is on the way out

J

James Parker

Nothing that I would know how to do, particularly I guess after installing Windows 7 over the previous XP installation. It may be that my HD is goig out, but none of the other programs seem to be corrupted, and things I have installed since upgrading are working fine too. It's just the darn outlook.pst file that is the problem. Thanks for the help anyway. .
Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com

D

DL

Copy your pst files (origonals) from old folders to Documents folder of Win7
Configure outlook with a new profile, new data file & your accounts.
Test outlook.
If ok within Outlook, File>Open>Data File.....browse to your data file in
documents & open it.
Check the mail in this new set of Personal Folders.
What you do then depends

Ask a Question