Proxy Settings

Gummo

When I insert a proxy in LAN settings and return to the settings immediately
afterwards, I find that the proxy address and port values have disappeared
and the boxes greyed out, although 'Use a proxy server for your LAN' is
still checked. When I click on Advanced, the number 1 appears in the HTTP
field. Removing this number is useless because the whole thing repeats when
I re-insert the proxy settings.

Any ideas?

Jan Il

Hi Gummo :)

You don't mention which version of Windows you are using, so I'll have to
make a guess here, but, you may have the Automatic Proxy configuraton
enabled which may automatically change your proxy settings. See the
information here:
Disable Automatic Proxy configuration
http://charterpipelinentx.net/disableproxy.htm
or
Lan Settings- Proxy Server - Disable
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/proxyenableundo.reg
and
My proxy settings disappear every time I log on.
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/answers.htm#proxy

You can also try
Go to Tools>Internet Options> Connections tab> LAN Settings button.
If you see proxy:8080 in "Use automatic configuration script" box, delete
it and uncheck all the boxes.

Then go to Start>Run and enter:

regsvr32 -u ahiehelp.dll

Then click "OK". Reboot to finish the procedure.

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE [DTS/AumHa]
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Gummo

Jan Il said:

Jan - thanks very much for your kind help.

I feel so foolish now having discovered that I had pasted unwanted extra
characters into the proxy address field.

Yours in shame
Gummo

Jan Il

Hi Gummo :)

">> Hi Gummo :)
Jan - thanks very much for your kind help.

I feel so foolish now having discovered that I had pasted unwanted extra
characters into the proxy address field.

<grin>....not to worry. An extra or incorrect character in the mix is easy
to do and happens to many of us at some point. Glad that you were able to
get your problem resolved. :)