Projector dead pixels caused by mistreatment?

Reaction score
Can a projector develop dead pixels from being mistreated? Mine has been fine for nearly three years then all of a sudden lots of dead pixels after a group of students stayed in my place on airbnb, could them knocking it about cause this? Is it more likely to be a coincidence?

I need to act quickly to make a claim on insurance/keep their security deposit if it is from mistreatment.

Thanks.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Anything is possible. It could just be coincidence, My suggestion would be to look on other forums to see if anybody is having the same sort of problems as you.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Can a projector develop dead pixels from being mistreated? Mine has been fine for nearly three years then all of a sudden lots of dead pixels after a group of students stayed in my place on airbnb, could them knocking it about cause this? Is it more likely to be a coincidence?

I need to act quickly to make a claim on insurance/keep their security deposit if it is from mistreatment.

Thanks.

It could be extremely difficult to prove that it was "accidental" damage.

Best of luck.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Usually, dead pixels are caused by:
1. Manufacturing problems.
2. Premature failure of the pixel or driver due to mechanical shock.
3. Premature electrical failure of the pixel due to electrical overloading, overheating.

I've seen a load of laptop computers that tend to be banged around and abused and none have developed dead pixels that weren't there when the system was purchased.

One thing that could cause a dead pixel in a projector would be overheating of the LCD array. That, I suppose, could damage a transistor junction and cause it to fail. An inherent manufacturing defect could cause premature ageing and failure of a single pixel but if you keep your projector well ventilated and use it sensibly.

Anything is possible.

:user:

Reaction score
Heard back from BenQ tech support and they said that won't have been caused by mistreatment, caused by a faulty DMD chip, since its solid state you would have to kick the hell out of the projector to break that. Repair will cost nearly as much as a better replacement, curses! Must have just been a freaky coincidence after all. I can fix it for free though by watching projector without glasses and slightly out of focus (or very drunk) so I dont notice the faulty pixels...yeah!

Ask a Question