LCD Monitors - Manufacturers Dead Pixel Policies

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Manufacturer's Dead Pixels Policy has been a concern of many prospective buyers of LCD Monitors. Many are still not sure which manufacturers have a good policy which regard to this aspect of LCD Monitors.

Here is a link to one of the sites which give some idea of Dead Pixel Policy which I came across and what it is all about and which manufacturers are better (from the buyers point of view).

Dead Pixel Guide

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I got a dead pixel on my Dell LCD monitor, its white, but you cant spot it really, ive asked numerous people to try and spot it on a black background and its near impossible!

But im suprised i only got a dead pixel, it fell down 8 concreate steps when i dropped it :/ .

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
But im suprised i only got a dead pixel, it fell down 8 concreate steps when i dropped it
:eek:

My advice, as always, if you find any dead pixels ... complain, quote 'the sale of goods act' and refuse to be fobbed off with any 'explanation' they may give.

The more 'customers' stick up for their rights the sooner manufacturers will take note ... especially if it hits them in their own pocket when sales fall. :D

Reaction score
I may leave my monitor for a while before swapping it out, i dont want an older model that potentially may have more... and a refurb.

Reaction score
1 or 2 dead pixels does not make it unfit for its purpose. Very few manufacturers guarantee pixel perfect and thoese that do charge a premium for it.

Im not saying I agree with any of the policies, but they dont break any regulations. Your agreeing to buy a product built to ISO [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]13406-2, and most are sold to the Class 2 section of this regulation.

Some more infomation here

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20030319/lcd_pixels-06.html
[/font]
What I have noticed is that 95% of manufacturers will replace if you complain directly to them as an end user, if you go back through your retailer they will probably just quote the dead pixel policy to you without investigating it further.

My personal opinion is it stinks, but until the monitor manufacturers decide to jointly do somthing about it, the retailers have no choice but to follow the guidelines.

Reaction score
and thats why i would only buy a monitor that has at least a 3 year on site swap out warranty.

Ask a Question