Programmatically STOP a device (VB.NET)

Does the .NET framework (using VB.NET) support the ability to programmatically STOP a device prior to its removal from the system?

I have need to move data from a computer on one network to a computer on a different network. For various reasons, I am not allowed to join these networks. Additionally, neither computer is allowed to disconnect from its network to connect to the other network

I have decided to use a USB jump drive to move the data between the two computers. I would like to make this as easy on the user as possible - these are non-techies. I would like to write a program that would reside on the jump drive itself. This program would copy the data, stop the jump drive (in preparation for its removal), then put up a message box telling the user that the jump drive can be removed. Ideally, this would happen when the jump drive is inserted automagically

I can handle the copy part (you know, the REALLY easy stuff <g>). I THINK an autorun.inf would handle the "run this program automatically" part. I haven't a clue about the "STOP the device" part

Where should I look for the STOP device functionality

Thanks very much for you help
Mik

Robert Gruen [MSFT]

Mike,

Yes you can do this from VB.NET...you will have to use PInvoke to call some
APIs. The APIs you want for device management live here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/devio/base/
device_management_functions.asp

Thanks! Robert Gruen
Microsoft, VB.NET

[...]