Problems with RIS and multilanguage clients

Hi!

I have problems getting MUI clients to configure after
being deployed by a RIS server. Here is my story so far.

I help a customer to set up a RIS server. We install
Windows Server 2003 Standard on a machine with a PIII 600
MHz CPU and 512 MB RAM. Installation goes well.
The RIS component is installed and initialises well.
During configuration of the first RIS image we install an
English version of Windows XP SP1. The RIS server installs
all the files to a separate RIS disk and we are able to
Remote Install a client. So far all is well!

This customer is Swedish so we have decided to deploy
Windows XP Multilanguage (MUI) version with both English
and Swedish versions. Default language should be Swedish
but users who prefer it can switch over to English.
I read the documentation on the MUI discs and try to
follow the instructions for how to setup a RIS
distribution with MUI support. The method is to run a
command line in the answer file, which runs the setup
program for the MUI components. The installation works but
after completes RIS setup the machine defaults to English
keyboard on the login screen. Also the default user is
using English keyboard, which deflects on all new users
logging in to this PC. This is something we have to fix.
It's easiest done by removing support for English (US)
keyboards as the customers only have Swedish keyboards. As
you cant remove the English Keyboard through the
unattended answer file we decided to remove the Keyboard
manually and set everything up as we wanted it. Then we
planned to run RIPREP to crate a new image on the RIS
server based on this modified client.
The Modifications went fine and we were able to remove the
English (US) keyboard. Also we changed all region settings
to Swedish were possible in the control panel applet. We
also checked the option to propagate these region changes
to default user and so on to all new users on this
computer.
The RIPREP process went fine and we soon had a new image
on the server.
We tried to install this image onto a fresh machine and
the install went fine. But when we logged on with a newly
created account the English keyboard was back and the
regional settings were back to English (US).
As I couldn't fix this problem I tried to create a new
user and change the regional settings for this user so
that everything was back to Swedish defaults and removed
the English (US) keyboard again. Then I logged of the user
and copied NTUSER.DAT (the registry file) from the users
Profile Folder to the Default Users Profile Folder. After
this all-new users logging on to the machine got the
correct Swedish settings and Swedish keyboard. So I copied
the NTUSER.DAT file from the local machine to the RIPREP
image on the RIS server. Under the RIPREP image was a
folder named mirror1, which contained a replica of the
hard disk from the RIPREP process earlier. Under this hard
disk replica I browsed to Documents and Setting\Default
User. I replaced the NTUSER.DAT file placed there with my
own fixed NTUSER.DAT. The plan was that this new (and
bigger) NTUSER.DAT file would be copied to any client
installed from the image. Then all the settings that I put
into the NTUSER.DAT file would be propagated to all new
users.
So I reinstalled the client again and that went well. But
at the logon prompt the English (US) keyboard was back.
And when I logged an as a newly crated user the regional
settings was back to English (US). I thought that
something went wrong and checked the files. The NTUSER.DAT
file that had been copied down to the client was the new
one. I could se this at the bigger size (528 KB versus 328
KB) so the copy operation must have worked. But it seems
that Windows XP somehow edits NTUSER.DAT when it
initialises itself at first start-up.
So there is my problem. How on earth am I going to make
this work? What is the procedure to remote install a
machine from a RIS server AND apply a MUI pack AND to set
a non English (in my case Swedish) language as the default
option?

Bruno Horvat
CSC
DCeS - Windows Systems Engineer

Ivan Sheng [MSFT]

Hi Bruno,

It may need to modifying the HEX under the [Regional] section of the .sif
file as well as modifying the language code in the data1.msi and data2.msi
using the ORCA program etc. This is a complex problem. Due to the
complexity of this issue, it is best that you contact our Product Support
Services by creating a service request at
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/directory/phonepro.asp?SD=VAP

Ivan Sheng
Microsoft Online Partner Support
MCSD,MCSE4,2000,MCDBA,CCNA,ASE

This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.