Problems with fax

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear readers

I know someone will be able to help with this....

I have Windows NT (Home) - I can't get a fax to send - says there is no dial tone. I have Broadband connection - this will be simple I know - what shall I do please? Since I zapped my 'rogue' file in start up, all appears well elsewhere......

Could we keep this simple for a very simple soul.............

Any help very graetfully received.

Kind regards

Gabriella x

Reaction score
dial up modem required.

you can spend all day trying to send a fax on broadband and it still won't happen ;)

in other words it can't be done using broadband connection.

James

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Thank you Techny

I have just spent the last few minutes looking at the same problem raised by a member of PC Advisor - the explanation/what to do was so complicated I couldn't make head nor tail of it..... From what I can see, it can be done but involves having a dial up connection.

So...... in very simple terms (pretty please) what can I do to have BB (I am very happy with that) and the ability to fax, which, not often, is handy from time to time with work bits.

Kind regards to all

Gabriella x

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Chris

Thanx 4 the reply - I understand the concept - how do I do it in reality? I d u/stand that BB doesn't sipport fax but...what do I need (cables/wires etc...) and what do I do to make it happen?

Please excuse a simple question from a simple soul.....

Gabriella x

(PS Vanessa or Dan to go this week - not sure myself - the Nadia stuff 2nite was gr8......)

Reaction score
i would assume you would just buy an external (for ease of installation) 56k modem and then sign up for a local rate dial up service (FreeUK have one) and then just connect and send a fax however you would normally.

that is however what i would assume - have never tried it in reality. I assume thats the way because Broadeth Bandeth doth neigh tie upeth thy phoneth lineth meaning you can still use a dial up connection.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Chris

I have a 56k modem already on the PC - is it just a question of a wire or 2 to plug in and off I go then?

Kind regards

Gabriella xx

Reaction score
in that case i would imagine all you need to do is wire it up.

im not sure if you would need to turn off your BB connection while dialling up - i dont think so though you may do. Maybe someone else would tell you that?

chris

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Chris

I didn't know that this PC business was so complicated.....the silly thing is...all I am trying to do is fax my GP to order some repeat medicine...I may be better walking the 5 miles or so with a handwritten note, post it in the box and return on foot. B4 my current PC I had a fax which shot through to the GP surgery like a flash - was on the old dial up then. If I took the walking option I would be contibuting to the Government's get fitter camapaign!!!! Perhaps this is a cunning plan...??!!

Gabriella xx

Reaction score
a.) call a courier and have it picked up
b.) take the bus and do the "get off a stop early" thing
c.) wait to sort the fax
d.) hmmm... just walk
e.) call a taxi
f.) ride a bike
g.) take the micro scooter

oh the possibilities... can you not just call or email them?

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Chris

B4 I go to my night nights - the GP surgery have email but don't know how 2 use it. I think they need a course on email...I thought I was bad but perhaps not quite as bad as that.............They don't take phone calls for medicines in case u are not who u say u are....how bizzare is that? Like people are gonna skank for some basic things they need...it's not like u r talking about anyhting out of the ordinary.......

Night night

Gabriella xx

Reaction score
gabs,

all you need is a 56k modem, and a modem cable (supplied with most 56k modems) and a telephone line thats preferably working. you don't need to register with an ISP, all you need to do is get hold of some fax software (included with XP) then fax away to your hearts content. you can have a broadband connection and dialup connection at the same time without any probs, just make sure that the fax software is set to use the dialup modem.

hope this clears things up a bit for you, if not give me a shout.

all the best

james

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You will need to make sure the "modem" is actually a "FAX Modem" ... not all modems can handle fax. You will also find the a fax modem will come with it's own fax software, not the best, but it will do.

Dear Chris
I have a 56k modem already on the PC - is it just a question of a wire or 2 to plug in and off I go then?

Kind regards
Gabriella xx
Then it should already be installed, it comes with it's own cable (is the cable still attached to the computer?) which plugs into your telephone socket (just like dial-up does) now all we need to do is get it working.

... you don't need to register with an ISP, all you need to do is get hold of some fax software (included with XP) then fax away to your hearts content.
:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
First off, you're going to need a cable to connect the socket from the 56K Modem to your phone socket. If your filter where you plug your broadband connection into (the filter plugs into the phone socket) has a socket free marked 'phone' plug the cable from your modem into that.

If the filter doesn't have a socket, just unplug it while you send your faxes and plug the Modem cable straight into it.

Check that your modem is enabled (Within Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager). Is it listed? Good. If it isn't isn't install drivers from the CD that came with your Modem and make sure it's enabled.

Once all that's done, you should be able to send your Fax within NT/Office just like you used to.

And after, if you had to take the BB filter out, don't forget to disconnect Modem Cable and put it back.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Blimey, just like London Buses, not a one for hours then three come along at once :D

Ask a Question