Problems with Administrator profile after software install

kkarr

I installed SUS (Microsoft Software Update Services) on a
Win 2000 server. The install seemed to go ok, no errors
or anything. After rebooting an logging in it hangs with
just a blue background and the cursor shows and can be
moved around, but nothing else happens. The website on
the server seems to work and the backup tape emailed that
it had worked fine overnight.

I found I can login as another user and it comes up. So I
renamed the Administrator profile, rebooted and logged in
as the admin thinking that it would just create a new
profile and be fixed. But it still hangs in the same
spot.

Any Ideas? I really do not want to reinstall and do not
have an ERD.

dcdon

Your best bet is an Inplace Upgrade...

You can try Safe Mode "Last Known Good Configuration", but it will
more likely not get you there...

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000

What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not
Change
"(e-mail address removed)" <[email protected]>
wrote in message I installed SUS (Microsoft Software Update Services) on a
Win 2000 server. The install seemed to go ok, no errors
or anything. After rebooting an logging in it hangs with
just a blue background and the cursor shows and can be
moved around, but nothing else happens. The website on
the server seems to work and the backup tape emailed that
it had worked fine overnight.

I found I can login as another user and it comes up. So I
renamed the Administrator profile, rebooted and logged in
as the admin thinking that it would just create a new
profile and be fixed. But it still hangs in the same
spot.

Any Ideas? I really do not want to reinstall and do not
have an ERD.

kkarr

I finally got the issue resolved without any type of
reinstall. I got to looking at group membership
differences between my login account and the
administrator account. Eventually I found that removing
the admin account from membership in one group allowed me
to login as admin without any problems. I have yet to
determine the problem with the security group or even why
there was a membership in it.