Problems installing Win XP Pro on a new Mobo

G

Well this is a long post: I just purchased a new computer PIV 3.0, Msi 865PE Neo2 FI2SR, Seagate 80GB SATA, no need to mention the rest.
Hardware install went ok Sofware....oh my god. I just want to install Windows XP on my new sata drive, i dont want any raid´s or any other hdd´s working.

The moment i started the pc i got the realtek boot agent on my screen only to find out it wasnt recognizing the HDD, went to bios, changed on chip configuration to native mode, sata only, kept sata and pata active, channel selection : both, and no on the configure sata as raid, checked boot order and saved my settings.
After that i got my hdd recognized and i started windows xp configuration, got to the menu where i had to agree with the disclaimer, maintained the current format (NTFS) and windows started copying files to c:, soon after i was asked to reboot(15 secs to reboot), i was thinking everything was ok, but instead of getting to the next phase of the windows config it makes me go throught the same process of format and first file copying all over again, i tried everything i know more then 10 times in several different ways, and still cant get windows configuration to continue with next processes.
What did i do wrong, do i need any RAID driver(i just want one hdd working on this system now and forever, no need for RAID i think), i tried different win xp installation cds´s also but nothing happened.
Im out of ideas. Plz help. Thanks in advance.

I dont know if it is windows xp problem for sure, my apologies if im posting this on the wrong place.

I allready asked around on MSI forum but still didnt get anything i can use on my problem not even similar problems able to reach me on how to solve my own.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Sounds like you are hitting a keyboard key when you see
the message to "press any key to boot from CD". Don't do this.
When setup reboots the first time, do not touch your keyboard
and your computer will automatically boot from the CD and
continue installation.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Well this is a long post: I just purchased a new computer PIV 3.0, Msi 865PE Neo2 FI2SR, Seagate 80GB SATA,
no need to mention the rest.
| Hardware install went ok Sofware....oh my god. I just want to install Windows XP on my new sata drive, i
dont want any raid´s or any other hdd´s working.
|
| The moment i started the pc i got the realtek boot agent on my screen only to find out it wasnt recognizing
the HDD, went to bios, changed on chip configuration to native mode, sata only, kept sata and pata active,
channel selection : both, and no on the configure sata as raid, checked boot order and saved my settings.
| After that i got my hdd recognized and i started windows xp configuration, got to the menu where i had to
agree with the disclaimer, maintained the current format (NTFS) and windows started copying files to c:, soon
after i was asked to reboot(15 secs to reboot), i was thinking everything was ok, but instead of getting to
the next phase of the windows config it makes me go throught the same process of format and first file copying
all over again, i tried everything i know more then 10 times in several different ways, and still cant get
windows configuration to continue with next processes.
| What did i do wrong, do i need any RAID driver(i just want one hdd working on this system now and forever,
no need for RAID i think), i tried different win xp installation cds´s also but nothing happened.
| Im out of ideas. Plz help. Thanks in advance.
|
| I dont know if it is windows xp problem for sure, my apologies if im posting this on the wrong place.
|
| I allready asked around on MSI forum but still didnt get anything i can use on my problem not even similar
problems able to reach me on how to solve my own.

G

Thx for the quick advice but before i wrote this post i tried that, unfortunatly it didnt work, following your advice i didnt touch any key, the follwing msg appeared"invalid system disk", but before that i had one error(ive been having this error everytime i tried to install this windows xp cd on this new mobo): i made normal format(10-20m), started copying files but it stopped at 2% in the gdi32.dll file, saying to check if i had my cd on the drive. Meanwhile i pressed F3, left the config,rebboted and made the process all over again, this time i didnt formatted, the config made a disk maintainance, forced me to reboot. Booting from cd for the third time, i kept existing format but this time copied all windows config files till the end, rebooted, touched no keys, got the same feared msg again"Invalid system disk".

Only ideas i have are: bad cd rom? bad cd?

All advices are certainly welcome.

Ask a Question