problems anchors

G

I've come across a page with a link like this: "https://thesite.com/common files/thepage.htm#theanchor" 2 of my coworker can click on the link and normally the page will load at the anchor, sometimes 1 of them ends up about a page above the anchor. When I click it though the page loads and stays at the top of the page. Acts as if the "#theanchor" are of the url does not exist. All 3 of us are running IE6 sp1 with the same 6 patches installed. If I use Netscape 7.02 the page loads correctly. The target of the <a href> is _blank so the link opens in a new window.

So what is wrong with my IE install or settings that is causing this problem?

TIA,
John B.

G

I've found what my problem is. I have the Content Advisor enabled. When I disable the content advisor links written as "<a href=theotherpage.htm#myanchor>link</a>" work fine. Is this a bug or a "by design" gotcha? I fail to see how going to an anchor on a page is going to affect the content ratings of the page, so why is content advisor stopping it from going there?

R

Robert Aldwinckle

Acts as if the "#theanchor" are of the url does not exist.

I have seen this problem before but mostly I think when there was
a special character in #theanchor name. Other coding errors
often also are identified when a specific symptom is investigated.
(IOW you can probably find a workaround that IE agrees with. <g>)

---

John B said:
I've come across a page with a link like this: "https://thesite.com/common files/thepage.htm#theanchor" 2 of my coworker can
click on the link and normally the page will load at the anchor, sometimes 1 of them ends up about a page above the anchor. When I
click it though the page loads and stays at the top of the page. Acts as if the "#theanchor" are of the url does not exist. All 3
of us are running IE6 sp1 with the same 6 patches installed. If I use Netscape 7.02 the page loads correctly. The target of the <a
href> is _blank so the link opens in a new window.

G

Well, I know that it is not due to a special char. I created a pair of test pages that on 1 page only has a link written like <a href="theotherpage.htm#myanchor">link</a>. theotherpage.htm contains a bunch of repeating lines, enough that scrolling is required to see all of them. About half way down the page I place an anchor named "myanchor" next to a line with unique text in it. When Content Advisor is enabled the anchor is ignored and if I disable the Contect Advisor the link to the anchor works every time

So, my question still stands....is IE's Content Advisor bugged? Or, is this another annoying "by design" feature

John B.

R

Robert Aldwinckle

is IE's Content Advisor bugged?

Apparently, e.g. if your case represents another two-pass case
as is described (under More Information) here:

<title>KB329160 - Content Advisor Displays Warning for Script URL</title>

Notice that the article contains a possible workaround if you have control
of the web page content.

Also, it refers to function InternetCrackURL() which seems to reside
in module wininet.dll so it may be worthwhile checking on your version
of that (e.g. in case a fix for this (non-security) issue was slipped into the
source which was used to create the latest (security patched) version.)

HTH

Robert
---

John B said:
Well, I know that it is not due to a special char. I created a pair of test
pages that on 1 page only has a link written like <a
href="theotherpage.htm#myanchor">link</a>. theotherpage.htm contains a
bunch of repeating lines, enough that scrolling is required to see all of
them. About half way down the page I place an anchor named "myanchor"
next to a line with unique text in it. When Content Advisor is enabled the
anchor is ignored and if I disable the Contect Advisor the link to the anchor
works every time.