Problems after System Restore

Joe Krolla

I did run a system restore after a deinstallation of a
trial software installed shortly before was not
successful.
The restore point was found and I selected to restore to
this point. At this time my PC was not connected to the
domain and the corporate network.

After rebooting the computer did not recognize my user
profile as valid anymore. The domain was still okay.
Instead of using the profile <user> it created a profile
<user>.<domain>. After undoing the system restore I had
an additional <user>.<domain>.001.
Those profiles were completely new profiles. No access to
the exchange server via VPN, no offline access gto
outlook 2003.

I realized that the NTUser file in the original user
directory had been renamed to NTUser.prerestore or
something like that. I renamed it but it did not help. I
always get logged onto <user>.<domain> since then.

Does somebody have an idea how I can fix this and get
back to my original account?
Thanks
Joe

Carrie Garth

| "Joe Krolla" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | I did run a system restore after a deinstallation of a
| trial software installed shortly before was not
| successful.
|
| The restore point was found and I selected to restore to
| this point. At this time my PC was not connected to the
| domain and the corporate network.
|
| After rebooting the computer did not recognize my user
| profile as valid anymore. The domain was still okay.
| Instead of using the profile <user> it created a profile
| <user>.<domain>. After undoing the system restore I had
| an additional <user>.<domain>.001.
| Those profiles were completely new profiles. <SNIP>

Seems to me that contacting your System Administrator
would be your first line of action. Especially if your
profile is roaming. However...

If you still have access to the original Documents and
Settings\UserName profile folder you can try
using the steps in the following Microsoft Knowledge
Base Article to restore the user profile. I have used
it successfully numerous times for profiles that are
stored locally:

KB324734 - HOW TO: Restore a User Profile in
Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=324734

If after restoring the user profile your Shared Documents
folder is missing from My Computer see the following
Microsoft Knowledge Base article for a Workaround:

KB319825 - Shared Documents Folders Are Missing
From My Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;319825

And for some idea of what may have happened see:

KB228445 - User Profile Storage in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;228445

Joe Krolla

| I did run a system restore after a deinstallation of a
| trial software installed shortly before was not
| successful.
|
| The restore point was found and I selected to restore to
| this point. At this time my PC was not connected to the
| domain and the corporate network.
|
| After rebooting the computer did not recognize my user
| profile as valid anymore. The domain was still okay.
| Instead of using the profile <user> it created a profile
| <user>.<domain>. After undoing the system restore I had
| an additional <user>.<domain>.001.
| Those profiles were completely new profiles. <SNIP>

Seems to me that contacting your System Administrator
would be your first line of action. Especially if your
profile is roaming. However...

If you still have access to the original Documents and
Settings\UserName profile folder you can try
using the steps in the following Microsoft Knowledge
Base Article to restore the user profile. I have used
it successfully numerous times for profiles that are
stored locally:

KB324734 - HOW TO: Restore a User Profile in
Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=324734

If after restoring the user profile your Shared Documents
folder is missing from My Computer see the following
Microsoft Knowledge Base article for a Workaround:

KB319825 - Shared Documents Folders Are Missing
From My Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;319825

And for some idea of what may have happened see:

KB228445 - User Profile Storage in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;228445

.

Thanks for the hints. KB324734 worked perfectly.
I appreciate you help.

Joe