Problem with .Net Compact Framework SP2

Edward Fernandes

Hi,

We have developed an application for PocketPC using .Net
Compact Framework.
Recently we installed .Net Compact Framework SP2, and we
have been facing some problems.
In this application we have some Singleton Forms.
when this Singleton Form is invoked thru some other Form,
the Form gets disabled.
ie. No events are received by this Singleton Form, none of
the controls on it gets focus.

We have found a workaround for it, just before calling the
show method, we set the Enabled Property of the Form to
true
ie frmForm.Enabled=true
frmForm.show()

Just by setting the Enabled Property to true, the Form
starts receving events, even though in Debug Window, the
Enable property of that Form is still true.
In earlier version of .Net CF, it used to work fine.

Has anybody faced this problem before or could provide
some inputs on it ?

Thanx
Edward Fernandes

Katie Schaeffer [MSFT]

Hi Edward,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'singleton form'. When .ShowDialog is used,
we disable the topmost form (desired behavior for a modal dialog)...other
then that we don't automatically disable anything.

If you can provide me a small code sample demonstrating the problem, I'd
like to look into any differences between SP2 and SP1.

Thanks,
-Katie

***.Net Compact Framework Info***
Faq:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/prodtechinfo/devtools/netcf/FAQ/default.a
spx
QuickStarts: http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/CompactFramework/
Samples:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetcomp/h
tml/CompactfxTechArt.asp

| From: "Edward Fernandes" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Edward Fernandes" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Problem with .Net Compact Framework SP2
| Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 01:23:26 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Hi,
|
| We have developed an application for PocketPC using .Net
| Compact Framework.
| Recently we installed .Net Compact Framework SP2, and we
| have been facing some problems.
| In this application we have some Singleton Forms.
| when this Singleton Form is invoked thru some other Form,
| the Form gets disabled.
| ie. No events are received by this Singleton Form, none of
| the controls on it gets focus.
|
| We have found a workaround for it, just before calling the
| show method, we set the Enabled Property of the Form to
| true
| ie frmForm.Enabled=true
| frmForm.show()
|
| Just by setting the Enabled Property to true, the Form
| starts receving events, even though in Debug Window, the
| Enable property of that Form is still true.
| In earlier version of .Net CF, it used to work fine.
|
| Has anybody faced this problem before or could provide
| some inputs on it ?
|
| Thanx
| Edward Fernandes

Edward Fernandes

Certain Forms in the Application are using the Singleton
Deisgn Pattern, whereby when the Form is invoked for the
first time, it is kept persistent in memory, so next time
I give a call for the Form, the same Form is shown and
when I close the Form, it is just hidden. So the Form is
active for the entire lifetime of the Application once
invoked.

This approach has been used for saving the load time of
certain complex forms.

The Constructor is declared private and a shared method is
used to return its object. wherever this Form is required
the shared GetInstance method is used and on the Form
Close event, the Form is hidden.

Here goes code :

Usage : Dim ofrmNumericTB As frmNumericTextBox
ofrmNumericTB = ofrmNumericTB.GetInstanceofNTB

Public Class frmNumericTextBox
Inherits System.Windows.Forms.Form

Private Shared goNumericForm As frmNumericTextBox
Private Sub New()
MyBase.New()
End Sub
'..... other windows desisner code goes here

Private Sub frmNumericTextBox_Closing(ByVal sender As
Object, ByVal e As System.ComponentModel.CancelEventArgs)
Handles MyBase.Closing
Me.Hide
End Sub

Public Shared Function GetInstance() As
frmNumericTextBox
Try
If goNumericForm Is Nothing Then
goNumericForm = New
frmNumericTextBox
End If
goNumericForm.Enabled = True
goNumericForm.Show()
GetInstance = goNumericForm
Catch ex As Exception
Throw New Exception("Form object cannot be
created.")
End Try
End Function
End Class

I'm not sure what you mean by 'singleton form'. When .ShowDialog is used,
we disable the topmost form (desired behavior for a modal dialog)...other
then that we don't automatically disable anything.

If you can provide me a small code sample demonstrating the problem, I'd
like to look into any differences between SP2 and SP1.

Thanks,
-Katie

***.Net Compact Framework Info***
Faq:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/prodtechinfo/devtools/n etcf/FAQ/default.a
http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/CompactFram
ework/
url=/library/en-us/dnnetcomp/h
tml/CompactfxTechArt.asp

Katie Schaeffer [MSFT]

Hi Edward,

Thanks for the reply. Your approach looks great except for one issue - I'm
curious - when you show your forms, are you sure you're using 'Show()'
instead of 'ShowDialog()'? If you're using .Show, then don't you need to
set e.Cancel = true in your frmNumericTextBox_Closing handler, so that you
can reuse the form?

If you'd like to send me a complete repro - I'll take a look at it...just
remove the 'online' out of the email address.

Thanks,
-Katie

***.Net Compact Framework Info***
Faq:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/prodtechinfo/devtools/netcf/FAQ/default.a
spx
QuickStarts: http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/CompactFramework/
Samples:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetcomp/h
tml/CompactfxTechArt.asp

| From: "Edward Fernandes" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Edward Fernandes" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Problem with .Net Compact Framework SP2
| Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 05:27:33 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Certain Forms in the Application are using the Singleton
| Deisgn Pattern, whereby when the Form is invoked for the
| first time, it is kept persistent in memory, so next time
| I give a call for the Form, the same Form is shown and
| when I close the Form, it is just hidden. So the Form is
| active for the entire lifetime of the Application once
| invoked.
|
| This approach has been used for saving the load time of
| certain complex forms.
|
| The Constructor is declared private and a shared method is
| used to return its object. wherever this Form is required
| the shared GetInstance method is used and on the Form
| Close event, the Form is hidden.
|
| Here goes code :
|
| Usage : Dim ofrmNumericTB As frmNumericTextBox
| ofrmNumericTB = ofrmNumericTB.GetInstanceofNTB
|

| Public Class frmNumericTextBox
| Inherits System.Windows.Forms.Form
|
| Private Shared goNumericForm As frmNumericTextBox
| Private Sub New()
| MyBase.New()
| End Sub
| '..... other windows desisner code goes here
|
| Private Sub frmNumericTextBox_Closing(ByVal sender As
| Object, ByVal e As System.ComponentModel.CancelEventArgs)
| Handles MyBase.Closing
| Me.Hide
| End Sub
|
| Public Shared Function GetInstance() As
| frmNumericTextBox
| Try
| If goNumericForm Is Nothing Then
| goNumericForm = New
| frmNumericTextBox
| End If
| goNumericForm.Enabled = True
| goNumericForm.Show()
| GetInstance = goNumericForm
| Catch ex As Exception
| Throw New Exception("Form object cannot be
| created.")
| End Try
| End Function
| End Class
|
| *******************************************************

| >|
| >| Hi,
| >|
| >| We have developed an application for PocketPC
| using .Net
| >| Compact Framework.
| >| Recently we installed .Net Compact Framework SP2, and
| we
| >| have been facing some problems.
| >| In this application we have some Singleton Forms.
| >| when this Singleton Form is invoked thru some other
| Form,
| >| the Form gets disabled.
| >| ie. No events are received by this Singleton Form, none
| of
| >| the controls on it gets focus.
| >|
| >| We have found a workaround for it, just before calling
| the
| >| show method, we set the Enabled Property of the Form to
| >| true
| >| ie frmForm.Enabled=true
| >| frmForm.show()
| >|
| >| Just by setting the Enabled Property to true, the Form
| >| starts receving events, even though in Debug Window,
| the
| >| Enable property of that Form is still true.
| >| In earlier version of .Net CF, it used to work fine.
| >|
| >| Has anybody faced this problem before or could provide
| >| some inputs on it ?
| >|
| >| Thanx
| >| Edward Fernandes