Problem with ICS

L

LKC

I have set up ICS on my Desktop (Host) and Laptop (Client), but cannot browse any websites with IE (etc) on Laptop.

Setup is as follows:-
a.. Host machine (Desktop) is XP Pro SP2, with all latest patches. Connects to Internet via wireless router to broadband DSL connection. Wireless router is 192.168.1.1, Desktop is 192.168.1.2, and connection is fine, no problems. LAN connection is via crossover cable, set to 192.168.0.1, and connection to Laptop is fine too.
b.. Client machine (Laptop) is also XP Pro SP2. LAN address set to 192.168.0.62, and LAN connection works fine (e.g. transferring files across. I can ping IP addresses on the web from here quite happily, but IE just waits forever to connect to a website directly.
Clearly I have something set wrong somewhere, but I can't for the life of me think what.

Pointers will be gratefully received!
Thanks.

L

LKC

Sorry, I forgot to say that both machines are running ZoneAlarm (free version) firewall.
I have set up ICS on my Desktop (Host) and Laptop (Client), but cannot browse any websites with IE (etc) on Laptop.

a.. Host machine (Desktop) is XP Pro SP2, with all latest patches. Connects to Internet via wireless router to broadband DSL connection. Wireless router is 192.168.1.1, Desktop is 192.168.1.2, and connection is fine, no problems. LAN connection is via crossover cable, set to 192.168.0.1, and connection to Laptop is fine too.
b.. Client machine (Laptop) is also XP Pro SP2. LAN address set to 192.168.0.62, and LAN connection works fine (e.g. transferring files across. I can ping IP addresses on the web from here quite happily, but IE just waits forever to connect to a website directly.
Clearly I have something set wrong somewhere, but I can't for the life of me think what.

Thanks.

J

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Did you tune ZA with the correct Trusted Zone?
In addition I wonder why you are using such a configuration. I.e why a computer is connected to a Host using ICS behind a Router.
By using such a configuration you are using a Double NAT Network, which is a source for instability.
If you can not configure the Network as regular peer-to-peer, use Win XP Pro Bridging capacity instead of ICS.
Jack (MVP-Networking).
Sorry, I forgot to say that both machines are running ZoneAlarm (free version) firewall.

Thanks.

S

Steve Winograd [MVP]

"LKC" said:

Thanks.

Check the ZoneAlarm web site. I think I recall seeing that ZoneAlarm
(free version) is incompatible with ICS on the host computer, or that
it needs special settings.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

L

LKC

The reason for the configuration is that the router (and the broadband connection) are not mine - they are my neighbour's, which I am using with his permission. The Wireless card in my laptop is only 802.11b, and doesn't get a strong enough signal to run directly off the router. (Signal is coming through the rather thick walls of my neighbour's old house, so is a bit attenuated) Desktop has an 802.11g card, so works fine. Maybe I should just invest in a new card for the laptop...
Hi
Did you tune ZA with the correct Trusted Zone?
In addition I wonder why you are using such a configuration. I.e why a computer is connected to a Host using ICS behind a Router.
By using such a configuration you are using a Double NAT Network, which is a source for instability.
If you can not configure the Network as regular peer-to-peer, use Win XP Pro Bridging capacity instead of ICS.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Thanks.

L

LKC

Absolutely right Steve, ZoneAlarm free version does NOT support ICS,
according to Zone Labs website. In fact, I tried turning it off (on both
machines) and it seemed to be OK, albeit rather slow. Heigh ho, off to the
local store to look at faster cards for the laptop...
Thanks for the advice.

S

Steve Winograd [MVP]

"LKC" said:
Absolutely right Steve, ZoneAlarm free version does NOT support ICS,
according to Zone Labs website. In fact, I tried turning it off (on both
machines) and it seemed to be OK, albeit rather slow. Heigh ho, off to the
local store to look at faster cards for the laptop...
Thanks for the advice.

You're welcome!
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Ask a Question