problem when upgrading windows xp home edition to xp professional

G

I bought a new computer with windows xp home edition installed on it. I have windows xp professional CD at home. I installed the windows xp professional. When I installed xp professional I have selected the "upgrade" instead of the "install" option as it should be. It installed xp professional with no problem. Once I finish installing I tried to use my internet that was working on the xp home edition. I was not able to connect. I then tried to make a new connection to re-install my internet. However, some of the options such as the "dial-up connection" are reccessed (grayed) and are not accessible to select. I did not know what to look for. I took back the computer to the store where I bought it and the technician put a recovery disk of home edition. Then the dial-up option was accessible in home edition. Then With the hope the problem might be solved I re-installed the Xp professional edition and the dail-up option was again grayed and could not connect to th internet. I put the recovery disk again and I am using the home edition now. My computer has visual studio.net, SQL server, visio.net. I am trying to avoid uninstalling all these programs to do the clean install.
Can any one help me how I can upgrade the xp home edition to windows xp professional without facing this internet connection problem?
Your help is very much appreciated.

M

Mary Sauer

This article though doesn't address Home vs. Pro, it does have a solution
Dial-Up Networking Connections Do Not Work After Upgrade to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303488&Product=winxp

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://www.mvps.org/msauer/
news://msnews.microsoft.com
Michael said:
I bought a new computer with windows xp home edition installed on it. I have
windows xp professional CD at home. I installed the windows xp professional. When I
installed xp professional I have selected the "upgrade" instead of the "install"
option as it should be. It installed xp professional with no problem. Once I finish
installing I tried to use my internet that was working on the xp home edition. I was
not able to connect. I then tried to make a new connection to re-install my internet.
However, some of the options such as the "dial-up connection" are reccessed (grayed)
and are not accessible to select. I did not know what to look for. I took back the
computer to the store where I bought it and the technician put a recovery disk of
home edition. Then the dial-up option was accessible in home edition. Then With the
hope the problem might be solved I re-installed the Xp professional edition and the
dail-up option was again grayed and could not connect to th internet. I put the
recovery disk again and I am using the home edition now. My computer has visual
studio.net, SQL server, visio.net. I am trying to avoid uninstalling all these
programs to do the clean install.
Can any one help me how I can upgrade the xp home edition to windows xp
professional without facing this internet connection problem?

Ask a Question