of Outlook.exe on the Processes Tab. When I did a
shutdown/restart, I got the End Program box for each
instance of Outlook.exe. All along, however, I only had
open one session of Outlook 2002. My question is: what
is causing the multiple images/copies to be created and
how can I fix such an issue?

G

George Hester

You should have only one "image" of OUTLOOK.EXE in task Manager. Outlook is NOT one of those types of programs in which you can have many running instances of it like Notepad. I know that it may seem like it sometimes but the MAPI interface basically does not allow that to happen. In other words if you logon to a MAPI profile in Outlook and double-click Outlook again it will use the same MAPI profile.

Now something you may not know. When windows starts almost all the office applications will appear in the task manager some just a peep and others a little longer. PowerPoint if installed seems to appear there longer then Excel. Then they all "stop" and you won't see them there. So I am thinking even before you fire up Outlook it may still be running in the task manager. Try that. When you logon wait a minute or so then look at the Task Manager under processes. Is Word (winword.exe) or Outlook (outlook.exe) running? If not good. If they are that's a problem.

Now if this issue is not occurring then the only thing I can think of why you would have more then one running instance of outlook.exe are these:

You close Outlook during a session but the process never ends. Then when you fire her back up you have two and so on.

Some application is calling outlook.exe. May not be nefarious but that could cause this.

The other issue is winword.exe. Try changing your email editor to plain mail only. Don't use Word for your editor or HTML. Does the behavior continue?

D

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Get knockout (http://sunflowerhead.com/software/knockout/) so you can see if
outlook is running when it's closed.

If you use any program that accesses Outlook' data file, it will keep
outlook open until you close the program. Winfax, Activesync, stamps.com are
just 3 of the programs that will cause it.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)

Search for answers: http://groups.google.com
Most recent posts to the Outlook newsgroups:
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.outlook.*&num=30

G

Diane (et al),
Knockout shuts Outlook 2003 down after I exit O'03, but when I try to restart, O'03 hangs before displaying the folders. Then after shutting it down again (alt-F4 close) and re-starting, O'03 asks to start in safe mode - but hangs in the same place - alt-F4 then says program not responding, exit anyway and then sends an error report to MS. Next O'03 restart asks for Detect and Repair mode.

This cycle is reproducible - the only way I've been able to use O'03 after exiting the application is by re-booting PC.

Any thoughts?

Gary (running XP Pro, Office 2003)

BTW Hope your 2004 is a great year!!!! Happy New Year

Ask a Question