Problem regarding Outlook 97 to 98 Upgrade......

N

Neil Humphrey

Hello all,

I had a recent hard drive failure and have had to reinstall everything on a new drive. Nothing on the old drive was accessable. I have had Office 97 Pro since '97 and have had no need to upgrade.

Here is my problem. I have Outlook 97, according to an earlier post I must have had a free upgrade to OL 98, as I had HTML available to me and it worked well with my Ipaq. I have reinstalled everything but cannot get OL 98 anywhere! I know that I went through this about 4 years ago because that is how old the dead drive is. Apparently that means I couldn't have got the update from MS as that link has supposedly been gone for longer than that.

One suggestion that was given me was to purchase "Running MS Outlook 98" by Alan Neibauer, because it had the update on CD. After much looking I found a new, intact copy of this book and tried to install the OL 98 on it. It starts to download something, either an installer or some files from the web and croaks. I guess it went looking for something at MS that probably no longer exists and I am out of luck again.

Does anyone have a useful suggestion for this? I am not interested in upgrading to something else. I have no need to. I am ticked that MS doesn't make this available longer. I spent a small fortune at the time to purchase Office 97 and I would think that MS could make sure that updates were still available to those of us that need them. I don't need to by new software every 3 or 4 years when the stuff I have is more than sufficient. Am I doing something wrong with the installation, perhaps? Any help is gratefully accepted......

Best Regards,

Neil

D

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

eBay is an option but I forget if the full cd needs to check anything on the web or not. In all honesty, outlook 98 is very insecure and you'll do much better with a newer version. It's one thing to go longer than 3 or 4 yrs before upgrading, but another one entirely to go 10 yrs or longer between upgrades.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/

Hello all,

I had a recent hard drive failure and have had to reinstall everything on a new drive. Nothing on the old drive was accessable. I have had Office 97 Pro since '97 and have had no need to upgrade.

Here is my problem. I have Outlook 97, according to an earlier post I must have had a free upgrade to OL 98, as I had HTML available to me and it worked well with my Ipaq. I have reinstalled everything but cannot get OL 98 anywhere! I know that I went through this about 4 years ago because that is how old the dead drive is. Apparently that means I couldn't have got the update from MS as that link has supposedly been gone for longer than that.

One suggestion that was given me was to purchase "Running MS Outlook 98" by Alan Neibauer, because it had the update on CD. After much looking I found a new, intact copy of this book and tried to install the OL 98 on it. It starts to download something, either an installer or some files from the web and croaks. I guess it went looking for something at MS that probably no longer exists and I am out of luck again.

Does anyone have a useful suggestion for this? I am not interested in upgrading to something else. I have no need to. I am ticked that MS doesn't make this available longer. I spent a small fortune at the time to purchase Office 97 and I would think that MS could make sure that updates were still available to those of us that need them. I don't need to by new software every 3 or 4 years when the stuff I have is more than sufficient. Am I doing something wrong with the installation, perhaps? Any help is gratefully accepted......

Best Regards,

Neil

N

Neil Humphrey

Hello Diane,

Thanks for the thought. I found a supposedly full copy in the book I got off ebay but it accesses the web to pull down installation files and promptly dies. I am not sure what it's choking on but it is. It's interesting that I can find all kinds of Outlook 97 files and fixes on the MS site, just not the free update!

As for security, isn't that what my Norton is supposed to do? All joking aside, I have never found a reason to update as it does everything that I need it too. Sure power users may want/need a bunch of new features but as a home user, I have found no need. I have lots of software from MS, too many to mention, and very little has improved to a point that I need to buy new. It's just me, at home, no fancy network or servers, etc.

Thanks again.

Neil

eBay is an option but I forget if the full cd needs to check anything on the web or not. In all honesty, outlook 98 is very insecure and you'll do much better with a newer version. It's one thing to go longer than 3 or 4 yrs before upgrading, but another one entirely to go 10 yrs or longer between upgrades.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/

Hello all,

Best Regards,

Neil

Ask a Question