problem please help

JB

Hi.
Never had problems with my pc until yesterday.
Firstly, I'm very careful, have McAfee Security Suite 2006 (updated last
week from McAfee VS9 and FirewallPlus)
Spydoctor (full scan daily) and Microsoft AntiSpy, as well as my ISP's very
good Virus and Antispam campaign.

Yesterday when I went on my machine, out of the blue, everything I clicked
on started to take 1-2 minutes to respond as well as the Windows Programs
menu and task manager. I rebooted the machine . At first it asked if I
wanted to go SafeMode, a different screen to the F8 when you can choose. it
continued as if to start then went back to that odd safe mode thing like in
a loop, It did this 3 times and then started normally. But it took over 10
minutes to fully load everything. And again everything I did took ages.
This is with Start>Programs (but not Start), the menu opens but just grey
and just hangs for ages, but then ok in spurts. the right click on any of
the system task icons, particularly Task manager. Task manager process
didn't show anything with high cpu usage except windows Explorer. When it
'wakes up' it is fine for a few seconds. IE takes an age. Right clicking on
the desktop is fine and opening program seems ok.
Also a few fonts have gone Italic, and the following icons are gone and
showing generic.
All Office2003 icons, PaintshopPro10, and Adobe. All other icons are ok.

I did a Virus Scan and Spy Doctor and Microsoft AntiSpy, all came up with 0.
Restarted in safe mode, was just as slow, and ran VirusScan while I went to
work in safe mode, 7 hours later when I returned, McAfee VS stuck on a file.
c:Windows/$/KB899591/update/update_sp2QFE.inf
(the slashes are the other way around but cannot find them on my laptop
sorry)
Could minimise it but could not close it except in Task manager.
So I then did a system restore to Monday when all was well, but there is no
change at all.
I deleted a lot of stuff in Add/Remove. A couple of things came up with the
following error:
"Windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are
in safe mode or if the windows installer is not properly installed." but of
course I'm not in safe mode. I don't know if this is all part of the problem
but I thought I'd include everything that's different just in case.

PC Packard Bell , Only 1.5 years old.
XP sp2,
Office 03.
40 Gb only 2/3 free space
448 Mb of Ram

Please can someone help me fix this nightmare.
Jen

Malke

JB said:
[...]

You've done a good job of determining that the problem isn't
virus/malware. From your description of the problem, I'd lean toward a
hardware issue. The newness of the computer is irrelevant; in fact if
hardware is going to fail it usually does so quite soon - or the day
the warranty runs out :-o

I'll give you general hardware troubleshooting steps, but you probably
should just call tech support, particularly since this is a laptop. You
might want to test the hard drive and memory before you call tech
support so they don't just fob you off with "reinstall Windows". One
other thing - check whether your drives are using PIO Mode instead of
one of the DMA Modes. Here's a link explaining that:

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

1) Open the computer and run it open, cleaning out all dust bunnies and
observing all fans (overheating will cause system freezing). Obviously
you can't do this with a laptop, but you can hear if the fan is running
and feel if the laptop is getting too hot.

2) Test the RAM - I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you
have to get the program from a working machine. You will either
download the precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or
the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll
need to have third-party burning software on the machine where you
download the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job.
In either case, boot with the media you made. The test will run
immediately. Let the test run for an hour or two - unless errors are
seen immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.

3) Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the mftr. Download
the file and make a bootable floppy or cd with it. Boot with the media
and do a thorough test. If the drive has physical errors, replace it.

4) The power supply may be going bad or be inadequate for the devices
you have in the system. The adequacy issue doesn't really apply to a
laptop, although of course the power supply can be faulty.

5) Test the motherboard with something like TuffTest from
www.tufftest.com. Sometimes this is useful, and sometimes it isn't.

Testing hardware failures often involves swapping out suspected parts
with known-good parts. If you can't do the testing yourself and/or are
uncomfortable opening your computer, take the machine to a professional
computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).

Malke

JB

So relieved to get a reply!. Thank you.

BTW The machine isn't a laptop, it's a Desktop. I'm sorry I didn't make
myself clear. I was only using the laptop to post message and wasn't used
to its keyboard. :)
I've printed your reply and will go through it now.

Malke

JB said:
So relieved to get a reply!. Thank you.

BTW The machine isn't a laptop, it's a Desktop. I'm sorry I didn't
make
myself clear. I was only using the laptop to post message and wasn't
used to its keyboard. :)
I've printed your reply and will go through it now.
OK, I thought I saw a reference to a laptop buried in the midst of your
first post. The fact that the box is a desktop makes the hardware
testing a lot easier. Let me know how you make out and if you need more
help.

Malke

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Jen,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Thanks for our MVP Malke's kindly suggestions. Please feel free to try
Malke's suggestions and let us know the results.

At this moment, I noticed you also received the following error message in
normal mode of Windows XP:
The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you
are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not
correctly installed.

For this error message, the following article may be helpful:
315353: "The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" error message
when you install a program in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315353

Hope that helps!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

> [...]
| > seen immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.
| >
| > 3) Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the mftr. Download
| > the file and make a bootable floppy or cd with it. Boot with the media
| > and do a thorough test. If the drive has physical errors, replace it.
| >
| > 4) The power supply may be going bad or be inadequate for the devices
| > you have in the system. The adequacy issue doesn't really apply to a
| > laptop, although of course the power supply can be faulty.
| >
| > 5) Test the motherboard with something like TuffTest from
| > www.tufftest.com. Sometimes this is useful, and sometimes it isn't.
| >
| > Testing hardware failures often involves swapping out suspected parts
| > with known-good parts. If you can't do the testing yourself and/or are
| > uncomfortable opening your computer, take the machine to a professional
| > computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).

JB

I'm trying to do all the diagnostics but rebooting takes 40 minutes and
every task 10 minutes.
The system is not hanging, it's like it's in slow motion.
When in Word it's as thought there is no problem at all. And on the desktop
Right clicking is instant It's Mainly the task bar and Start Menu that's
showing the problem. Goinng into Computer Management, I can wiz around there
with no problem EXCEPT when I click on one of the Storage options, Storage
management, disk Frag etc.
I looked at System Event Viewer and found hundreds of red alerts. 2 examples
below.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10010
Date: 02/12/2005
Time: 10:26:39
User: JENPC\Jenn
Computer: JENPC
The server {833E4010-AFF7-4AC3-AAC2-9F24C1457BCE} did not register with DCOM
within the required timeout.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Hang
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 02/12/2005
Time: 10:49:22
User: N/A
Computer: JENPC
Fault bucket 126818269.

Data:
0000: 42 75 63 6b 65 74 3a 20 Bucket:
0008: 31 32 36 38 31 38 32 36 12681826
0010: 39 0d 0a 9..

(I'm about to hit the gin)
Jen

JB

forgot to say that when I click Ctr/Al/Dlt I instantly get the Task Manager
but if I try and right click on the taskbar it takes forever.
Also I right clicked on one of the desktop shortcuts that's not showing it's
own Icon i.e. PsPX and when I went to 'Change Icon' a message comes up
saying.

Windows cannot find the file %system.root%Installer{lots of letter and
numbers}icon.exe.ico

Jen

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Jen,

Thanks for your response!

Based on your situation, if the problem starts happening recently, I
suggest you perform a System Restore to revert back to the initial status
or other correct state.

Note: If you have some important documents or files which are created after
the restore point, please copy them to My Document. This is a precaution to
take even if you are back to the initial status, files will still remain in
My Documents.

To restore your system to a previous state, we can use the following steps:

1. Before you start, please close all open files and close all open
programs.
2. Click "Start"; Click "Programs or All Programs"; Click "Accessories";
Click "System Tools"; Click "System Restore". The System Restore user
interface should appear.
3. Select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" and click "Next".
4. From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point
when your system is working correctly and click "Next".
5. Click "Next" again. The restore process will run and your system will
restart automatically.
6. After restarting, check whether your system functions correctly now. If
not, you can undo your last restoration or select another restore point in
System Restore user interface.

306084: How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306084

Windows XP System Restore
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpsysrst.mspx

Also you may use Clean Boot to eliminate third party interference
It is possible that some third party applications are incompatible with
Windows XP. To isolate the influence of additional applications, please
boot the system into a Clean Boot environment to see whether this problem
continues:

1. Unplug all the unnecessary devices, with only the keyboard and the mouse
left.
2. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
the Open box, and then click OK.
3. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
4. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
and then click the "Disable All" button.
5. Click OK and restart your computer.

310560: How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

316434: How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

> [...]

| >> correctly installed.
| >>
| >> For this error message, the following article may be helpful:
| >> 315353: "The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" error
| >> message
| >> when you install a program in Windows XP
| >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315353
| >>
| >> Hope that helps!
| >>
| >> Thanks & Regards,
| >>
| >> Ken Zhao
| >>
| >> Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| >>
| >> =====================================================
| >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| >> =====================================================
| >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

| >> |
| >> |
| >> used
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |

| >> ISP's

At
| >> opens
| >> usage
| >> are

VirusScan
| >> there
| >> that's

| >> probably
| >> You
One

| >> and
| >> Obviously
| >> running

Obviously,
| >> you
| >> job.

| >> Download
| >> media

| >> are
| >> professional

| >> |
| >> |
| >> |

JB

Thanks.
Actually that was the very first thing I did.
I had posted in the security.virus NG because initially I wanted to make
sure the symptoms were not Virus caused, and I was advised to do a
diagnostics on the harddrive which I did and that came up as Disk Failing,
also I've done a chkdsk and it came up with hundreds of errors and
unreadable unfixable sectors.
Not looking good.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Jen,

Thanks for your response!

From your reply, you have tried System Restore and Clean Boot on the
problematic machine. However, I noticed you received lots of errors after
you run CHKDSK. I am afraid the issue may be related to the hardware device
error. I am not sure if the unreadable or unfixable sectors are able to be
fixed after running CHKDSK in Recovery Console. If it won't help, I suggest
you replace the damaged disk to test the issue again.

To run CHKDSK in Recovery Console:

1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then
restart the computer. Select any options that are required to start the
computer from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the
Recovery Console.

3. If your computer is configured for dual booting or multiple booting,
select the relevant Windows XP installation.

4. When you are prompted to do so, type the administrator password, and
then press ENTER. NOTE: In Windows XP Home Edition, the administrator
password is blank by default.

5. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
"cd system32" (without the quotation marks)

6. Type the following command, and then press ENTER: "chkdsk /r" (without
the quotation marks)

7. Remove the Windows XP CD-ROM from the disc drive.

8. Type "exit" (without the quotation marks) to restart your computer.

Running Chkdsk to Repair File Systems
<http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-u
s/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_
tro_xudm.asp>

> [...]

| > in
| > the Open box, and then click OK.
| > 3. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
| > 4. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services"
checkbox,
| > and then click the "Disable All" button.
| > 5. Click OK and restart your computer.
| >
| > 310560: How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
| > Windows XP
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560
| >
| > 316434: How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434
| >
| > Hope that helps!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so

| > |
| > | forgot to say that when I click Ctr/Al/Dlt I instantly get the Task
| > Manager
| > | but if I try and right click on the taskbar it takes forever.
| > | Also I right clicked on one of the desktop shortcuts that's not
showing
| > it's
| > | own Icon i.e. PsPX and when I went to 'Change Icon' a message comes up
| > | saying.
| > |
| > | Windows cannot find the file %system.root%Installer{lots of letter and
| > | numbers}icon.exe.ico
| > |
| > | Jen
| > |
| > |
| > and
| > Menu
Storage

| > with

| > try

| > message
| > if

| > so

| > | >> |
| > | >> |
| > make
| > wasn't
| > | >> |
| > | >> |
| > | >> |

| > (updated

| > At
| > the
| > back
| > took
| > did
| > the
| > and
| > gone

| > came
| > up
| > VirusScan
| > returned,
| > the
| > up
| > if
| > this

| > toward
| > fact
| > if
| > day

| > laptop.
Windows".
| > One
| > instead
| > of

| > bunnies

| > Obviously,
| > or
| > you'll
| > you
| > are

| > it.

| > devices

| > isn't.

| > parts
| > and/or
BigStoreUSA).

| > | >> |
| > | >> |
| > | >> |

| > |
| > |
| > |

JB

Thanks.
Actually that was the very first thing I did.
I had posted in the security.virus NG because initially I wanted to make
sure the symptoms were not Virus caused, and I was advised to do a
diagnostics on the harddrive which I did and that came up as Disk Failing,
also I've done a chkdsk and it came up with hundreds of errors and
unreadable unfixable sectors.
Not looking good.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Jen,

I know you have problems on the hardware device. If you have any update for
this issue in the future, please feel free to let us know.

> [...]

| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > =====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "JB" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: problem please help
| > | Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 12:04:42 -0000
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| > |
| > | forgot to say that when I click Ctr/Al/Dlt I instantly get the Task
| > Manager
| > | but if I try and right click on the taskbar it takes forever.
| > | Also I right clicked on one of the desktop shortcuts that's not
showing
| > it's
| > | own Icon i.e. PsPX and when I went to 'Change Icon' a message comes up
| > |
| > | Windows cannot find the file %system.root%Installer{lots of letter and
| > | numbers}icon.exe.ico
| > |
| > | Jen
| > |
| > |
| > and
| > Menu
Storage

| > with

| > try

| > message
| > if

| > so

| > | >> |
| > | >> |
| > make
| > wasn't
| > | >> |
| > | >> |
| > | >> |

| > (updated

| > At
| > the
| > back
| > took
| > did
| > the
| > and
| > gone

| > came
| > up
| > VirusScan
| > returned,
| > the
| > up
| > if
| > this

| > toward
| > fact
| > if
| > day

| > laptop.
Windows".
| > One
| > instead
| > of

| > bunnies

| > Obviously,
| > or
| > you'll
| > you
| > are

| > it.

| > devices

| > isn't.

| > parts
| > and/or
BigStoreUSA).

| > | >> |
| > | >> |
| > | >> |

| > |
| > |
| > |

JB

Just when you thought you'd seen the last of me!
This is very weird. I was in no hurry to give up my 'faulty hard drive' just
yet.
After the first Chkdsk, I noticed things were slightly better, very
slightly. I managed to do a Defrag.
and another chkdsk. Things were better still. So I then did another System
Restore, to a week before the first one, (making it 2 weeks before it went
awol) and now my system is pretty much back to normal!!!
The Window Installer error message is gone, I can get into Disk Manager
which I couldn't before and the speed is how it was.
Only 2 things haven't changed.
1 All text, where you can input or edit and on the internet that isn't
graphic, is slanted and yet not Italic.
2 The icons for all Office programs, Adobe programs and PaintshopPro are
generic and when you rightclick the 'change icon' button is greyed out.
I really want to know if anyone has seen this type of problem before. It's
so virus-like and yet numerous checks from 3 different anti spy programs and
Anti virus ones came up clean.
The HD diagnostic tool came up with Disk failing, but then why have things
improved?
JB

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Jen,

Thanks for your response!

I am glad to hear that System Restore helped you resolve the issue. I am
not sure if the issue is related to a virus or update. If the issue
re-occurs, you may restart the computer in Safe Mode to see if the problem
also occurs in this mode. Safe Mode loads a minimally protected-mode
configuration, disabling Windows device drivers and using the standard VGA
display adapter.

1. Restart the computer.
2. Keep pressing F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
3. Choose the Safe Mode, and press Enter.

Note: Some third party applications and hardware device cannot be used
during Safe Mode.

> [...]

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > =====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "JB" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: problem please help
| > | Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 22:29:30 -0000
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| > |
| > | Thanks.
| > | Actually that was the very first thing I did.
| > | I had posted in the security.virus NG because initially I wanted to
make
| > | sure the symptoms were not Virus caused, and I was advised to do a
| > | diagnostics on the harddrive which I did and that came up as Disk
| > Failing,
| > | also I've done a chkdsk and it came up with hundreds of errors and
| > |

| > status

| > precaution
| > remain