Problem :NAV 2002 suddenly slow to load

Hank

Been using Norton AV 2002 and Norton Internet Security 2002 for two years in
an XP system with no problems. After latest live update 1/07/04, antivirus
takes forever to load both at startup and when opening the program.

Anyone else experienced this recently? I'm aware of many posts of this
problem in the past. Sometimes Symantec corrects via new Liveupdates.

I know how to "deep clean" both Norton AV and Norton Internet Security from
my system. Are the 2004 Norton products worth a shot, or should I use other
products?

Right now I'm living with the slow startup to see if next Liveupdate helps.

Hank S.

Frederic Dazet

I'm having the exact same problem, even though i'm using NAV2003 on a
Win2000 machine.
This problem occured after yesterday, meaning 1/07/2004, on 2 distinct
computers here at the office.
This is quite annoying.

I noticed the problem when i noticed that loading MS Word took an eternity,
and that disabling the NAV2003 Office plugin solved the problem.

Joe Golden

well Hank, it isn't only with NAV 2002, I have the same problem with Nav
2003.

Jaz

Hank said:
Been using Norton AV 2002 and Norton Internet Security 2002 for two years in
an XP system with no problems. After latest live update 1/07/04, antivirus
takes forever to load both at startup and when opening the program.

Anyone else experienced this recently? I'm aware of many posts of this
problem in the past. Sometimes Symantec corrects via new Liveupdates.

I know how to "deep clean" both Norton AV and Norton Internet Security from
my system. Are the 2004 Norton products worth a shot, or should I use other
products?

Right now I'm living with the slow startup to see if next Liveupdate helps.

Hank S.

Yep. Same here. Using NAV 2003 Pro. Yesterday, just after a popup
informed me that NAV had downloaded the latest stuff, I experienced
problems with Windows Explorer -- when I right click on anything in
Windows Explorer it took ~30 seconds for the context menu to appear.
(context menu fine in other applications) I traced it to NAV which was
running like a dead skunk.

I'd sure like to see your 'Deep Clean' recipe -- I removed NAV and am
left with a currupted sound or Active-X driver (buzzing static from
the speakers that wavers when I move the mouse, access disk, etc.).

-JAZ-

(Please excuse the 'burp' when replying)

taff

Yep. Same here. Using NAV 2003 Pro. Yesterday, just after a popup
informed me that NAV had downloaded the latest stuff, I experienced
problems with Windows Explorer -- when I right click on anything in
Windows Explorer it took ~30 seconds for the context menu to appear.
(context menu fine in other applications) I traced it to NAV which was
running like a dead skunk.

I'd sure like to see your 'Deep Clean' recipe -- I removed NAV and am
left with a currupted sound or Active-X driver (buzzing static from
the speakers that wavers when I move the mouse, access disk, etc.).

-JAZ-

(Please excuse the 'burp' when replying)

If I right click on a text file on my desktop, I now get a message
from my firewall that " windows explorer is attempting to access the
internet."
It appears that NAV now does everything online.

Taff..........

www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

Jaz

Found this post

I just found this post to the following newsgroups:
microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.cn.office,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.excel,alt.os.windows2000

-JAZ-

Forgot to say, put these in your hosts file:
127.0.0.1 sitefinder-idn.verisign.com
127.0.0.1 crl.verisign.com
From: (e-mail address removed)
To: (e-mail address removed)
Subject: Re: Right-Click Very Slow (due to Norton Antivirus, workaround fix)
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 08:57:04 -0800

From: (e-mail address removed) (Belgarion)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.cn.office,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.excel,alt.os.windows2000

Here's a work around for the Norton Anti Virus slow bug.

If you have Norton Antivirus and got the Jan 7 2004 ish update, you
are probably getting a long delay opening files, opening Norton
Antivirus configuration panels, openning office docs and even right
clicking.
If you disconnect your ethernet, it fixes it, but thats not a good
solution if you are networked and require it.
Symantec will probably have a fix later but for now, here's what we
found that works for now.

1. First, disconnect your ethernet, otherwise this process will be
verys slow.
2. Go to your Norton Antivirus, and disable the automatic Liveupdate
3. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared
4. Rename the file called CommonClient.dat to something else like
CommonClient.dat.bad
5. Rename the file called CommonClient_old.dat to CommonClient.dat
6. Reconnect your ethernet.
7. Until theres a new fix for this, DON'T do client updates with NAV's
liveupdate!

Now, you can right click files again, open NAV's control panel,
actually have your office files scanned, etc.

If you don't find the right CommonClient.dat file, try to find an
older version from another PC that did not get the latest update.

As a last resort, reinstall NAV, and don't do the client update.
Hope that helps, it worked for me and 5 other co-workers who had
automatic live updates enabled!

(Please excuse the 'burp' when replying)

Joe Golden

I just uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2003 and my system appears to be
working again.

Frederic Dazet

i think i'm going to wait for a fix a couple of more days, symantec is for
sure going to react instantly to this.

btw, how do i deep clean my PC from NAV? what do i have to do if i want to
rid every last hidden place on my PC from NAV?

thanks
fred

Stephen Lo

Hank said:
Been using Norton AV 2002 and Norton Internet Security 2002 for two years in
an XP system with no problems. After latest live update 1/07/04, antivirus
takes forever to load both at startup and when opening the program.

Anyone else experienced this recently? I'm aware of many posts of this
problem in the past. Sometimes Symantec corrects via new Liveupdates.

I know how to "deep clean" both Norton AV and Norton Internet Security from
my system. Are the 2004 Norton products worth a shot, or should I use other
products?

Right now I'm living with the slow startup to see if next Liveupdate helps.

Hank S.

Intelligent Updater: (NOT LiveUpdate)
Virus Definitions created January 8 was released, give it a trial:

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/antivirus_definitions/norton_antivirus/20040108-007-i32.exe

Good luck!!

Hurricane Andrew

The issue is with an expired verisign certificate which expired 1/7/04. You
can either:

1) Add the following to your hosts file:
127.0.0.1 sitefinder-idn.verisign.com
127.0.0.1 crl.verisign.com

or

2) Disable "Check for publishers certificate revocation" option in IE.

Hurricane Andrew

Hank said:
To Hurricane Andrew -- WOW, it worked! I chose fix #2 & all is well!!!

Where did you get this info? How did you figure it out? I'm glad I didn't
start blowing away programs.

BTW, for those of you who want to do a clean removal, goto:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...sf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

Found a couple of sources. First, the External Testing folks at Symantec
played a huge role. Then someone else posted this tidbit:

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2004-01-08

Much Thanks to Hurricane Andrew.

No problem. Glad to help.

Hurricane Andrew

It appears that the certificate issue has been corrected. As of this
morning, I have undone yesterday's temporary fix, and there seems to be no
adverse impact.