Problem installing MUI in an unattend installation

Hugo

Hi !

I have a problem installing MUI (MultiLanguage User Interface) in an
unattend installation.

I thnik I do exactly what specified in readme.txt file that come with...
But I received this message :

INF Install failure. Reason: The operation was canceled by the user.

I search the WEB but found nothing !!

Any help will be appreciated !

Hugo

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi,

First, we'd better make sure the unattend file is correct.

Check the following settings are relevant for an Unattend.txt file when you
configure Windows MultiLanguage version-related settings during an
unattended installation:

[RegionalSettings]
Language = locale ID
LanguageGroup = language group ID, language group ID
SystemLocale = locale ID
UserLocale = locale ID
InputLocale = locale ID:keyboard layout ID, locale ID:keyboard layout ID
UserLocale_DefaultUser = locale ID
InputLocale_DefaultUser = locale ID:keyboard layout ID

The [RegionalSettings] section contains entries for installing regional
settings during Setup.

If you include [RegionalSettings] in Unattend.txt, you must also use the
/copysource:lang command-line option of Winnt32.exe so that Setup copies
the appropriate language files to the hard disk. The command winnt32
/copysource:lang copies all the files in the PRODUCT:\i386\Lang folder to
MASTER:\%WINDIR%\Lang.

For a list of valid locales and their language groups, visit the Microsoft
Global
Software Development Web site at
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/muizone.mspx

LanguageGroup

Specifies the language group for this installation.

Syntax LanguageGroup = language_group_ID[, language_group_ID[, ...]]
Values language_group_ID[, language_group_ID[, ...]]
Example LanguageGroup = 2

Comments You cannot specify a particular locale or language unless you
install the
appropriate language group. In Windows XP, if you install one language
group, then you install all corresponding language groups. For example, if
you install one language group from the set of Far Eastern language groups,
then you also install associated language
groups. Likewise, if you install one language group from the set of complex
script
language groups, then you install all complex script language groups.

The supported language group IDs are listed in the following table.

ID Language Group Corresponding Value in Regional and Language Options
Control
Panel
1 Western Europe and United States Installed by Default
2 Central Europe Installed by Default
3 Baltic Installed by Default
4 Greek Installed by Default
5 Cyrillic Installed by Default
6 Turkic Installed by Default
7 Japanese East Asian Language
8 Korean East Asian Language
9 Traditional Chinese East Asian Language
10 Simplified Chinese East Asian Language
11 Thai Complex Script
12 Hebrew Complex Script
13 Arabic Complex Script
14 Vietnamese Complex Script
15 Indic Complex Script
16 Georgian Complex Script
17 Armenian Complex Script

For a list of specific languages that correspond to particular language
groups, see the Microsoft Global Software Development Web site at
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/.

For more details, please refer to the following articles:

How To: Specify language and international settings during unattended setup
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/win2k/setup/specify.mspx

325856 HOW TO: Specify Regional and Language Settings for an Unattended
<http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325856>

ID: 289125 HOW TO: Create the Regional and Language Settings for an
Unattended
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289125

Windows XP Preinstallation Reference help file located in the
Support\Tools\Deploy.cab folder on your Windows XP installation media,
topic "Preinstalling the Multilingual User Interface (MUI) Pack". You can
find very detailed information in Deploy.htm.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Hugo

Hi !

I use Unattend installation from DOS boot USB device (16 bits)... So I don't
use winnt32.exe... And I think this is why I received an error message... I
can reproduce this error message if I copy the MUI directory in my
"i386\$oem$\$1" directory and manually start the muisetup.exe after all is
done ...When all is done, If I look in c:\MUIINST directory, all files and
directory have short file name !!! So I think that setup try to install MUI
in a 16 bits environment !!!

Any idea !

Hugo

Vincent Xu said:
[...]

I think you have to obtain a Windows XP boot disk. Check following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305595

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

Hope this helps.

Have a good day!

Subject: Re: Problem installing MUI in an unattend installation
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 08:56:36 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

Hi !

I use Unattend installation from DOS boot USB device (16 bits)... So I don't
use winnt32.exe... And I think this is why I received an error message... I
can reproduce this error message if I copy the MUI directory in my
"i386\$oem$\$1" directory and manually start the muisetup.exe after all is
done ...When all is done, If I look in c:\MUIINST directory, all files and
directory have short file name !!! So I think that setup try to install MUI
in a 16 bits environment !!!

Any idea !

Hugo

de news: (e-mail address removed)...

From: "Hugo" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 12:41:29 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

Hi !

I have a problem installing MUI (MultiLanguage User Interface) in an
unattend installation.

I thnik I do exactly what specified in readme.txt file that come with...
But I received this message :

INF Install failure. Reason: The operation was canceled by the user.

I search the WEB but found nothing !!

Any help will be appreciated !

Hugo

Hugo

Hi !

Ok.. But how can I connect to a network share to start installation with
this information !!!

I probably miss something !

Hugo

From: "Hugo" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 12:41:29 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

Hi !

I have a problem installing MUI (MultiLanguage User Interface) in an
unattend installation.

I thnik I do exactly what specified in readme.txt file that come with...
But I received this message :

INF Install failure. Reason: The operation was canceled by the user.

I search the WEB but found nothing !!

Any help will be appreciated !

Hugo

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi,

To creat a boot disk with network could be more complicated. Check
following links:

http://www.bootdisk.com/
http://www.netbootdisk.com/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/142857

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

<[email protected]>