Problem installing a scanner

S

Sunny Burger

PC: AMD Athlon 4200+ Dual Core
2 GB Ram, NTFS

Scanner: Canon Canoscan 4400F - is always installed as "Unknown Device" and cannot be used.

I have tried everything one could possibly imagine: installed driver, then scanner, then I tried vice versa, I tried removing all
other USB devices (in case there might be a conflict) and also removed all other USB-related software and cleaned the registry. I
tried different USB slots. Nothing helped.

I also did a virus scan - nothing.

What is really strange: When I try to do the installation via clicking "Add an Imaging Device" in CP/Scanner & Camera. nothing
happens - just absolutely nothing.

Can anybody help?

Thanks.

Sunny

D

DL

If my memory serves me correctly you should find a utility on Cannon site to
completely remove previously installed Cannon scanner drivers/registry
entries, you might try that.
Then clean all temp files, reboot the PC, then install as per Cannon
instructions, which is to install software and only connect the scanner when
asked for.

There is also support available direct from Cannon, on their site

S

Sunny Burger

Thanks for your answer, but I've tried that already. The problem lies deeper than that, because the "Add an Imaging Device Button"
isn't even working.

I tried working with an older image of the Windows Boot drive and that didn't work either, so it must have been a while back that
this error / mistake / whatever happened, which might mean that I have to reinstall the OS... *narf*.

Sunny

S

Sunny Burger

Problem is solved.
A class key was missing. I imported from another Win 2K installation and everything is working as it should.
*Happy*
Sunny

Ask a Question