Problem ... Hard Dive suspected culprit

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Only ever got one error, 0x0000009e and that was yesterday after many restarts trying to figure out a culprit.

Symptoms:
system would stop functioning, but one can still move the mouse, hear any sound at the time, use the task bar and start button, although nothing would actually work. Then after several minuets, 3-4, all would 'come alive' and any task I did invoke would spring into action ... this has been getting progressively worse over several months ... the only thing left of the original build, as I had a 'bundle' upgrade recently, was the 'noisy' hard drive. The HD had always been noisy.

So, new hard drive expected Wednesday. :)

In the meantime, I'll go for a long walk.

:user:

Reaction score
Long walks always help, however the problem is when you come back and try to tackle the issues again lol

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which drive did you go for Mucks?

In the past, I've had the same problem you described (although without that error code) and ended up replacing the drive, which sorted the problem. I hope you've got some recent backups or can salvage the data!

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I've also been having the same sort of issues the last week or so, and like Ian no error codes.

muckshifter

Reaction score
well, nice to know I wasn't the only one, thanks for confirming what I thought folks. :)

Ian, I gone for a Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATAIII 6Gb/s 16MB Cache 3.5 inch, £52 squids from Amazon, cheap, as I really not got a lot of spare ackers.

Backups, what's that? Nothing important on here, except me bookmarks. :lol:

The MB has SATA III, so it's a wee step up.

Actually been playing GW2 since 4pm, no problems. :rolleyes:

muckshifter

Reaction score
New hard drive installed. :)

Time from start to finish, including installing new drive, OS and ALL software, 1hr 40mins. :cool:

I recommend anyone who has a Western Digital drive to go download, if they haven't already, their licensed version of Acronis True Image WD it helps if the drive you need to "clone" hasn't complacently died. :D

... now, where was I. :)

Ask a Question