problem connecting to shares on one server through network neighborhood

Mike

network setup info: I have a small domain with 2 sites
and one win2k DC at each site. The DC at site 1 is also
our main file server. Each DC is running dns and wins for
its subnet and both point back to themselves for dns/wins
resolution. All workstations are win2k pro along with
several XPpro laptops

the problem: recently users complained that they could
not access the file server at site 1 in network
neighborhood. I found that I can ping the server from
site2 both by IP or by name. I can do \\servername from a
run line and a browser window will open and I can browse
shares as normal, but have found that problems occur when
trying to save a file back to the server. I usually get
delayed write error and data has been lost. When
reopening the file I get an unrecognizable format error
and a blank document. Attempting to browse to this server
in network neighborhood nets a "network path no longer
valid" error. Users at site 1 are having no problems only
site2 users, and it seems to be localized to this server
as browsing other machines at site1 is ok. Also, the
problem seems to be consistant when trying to browse
machines at site2 from the server at site1, with the
exception that site1 server can browse site2 server with
no problems.

Sorry for the long explanation. Please help!

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Hi Mike,

Based on your explanation, my first inclination is that there is something along the path that is
causing this issue, most likely a firewall or router between site I and 2. The reason I'm pointing
to hardware at this point is the other errors you are receiving, such as saving a file back to the
server.

Another possibility is software on the server at Site 2. Firewall software, antivirus software
could be causing the browsing and access to the server issues. Some antivirus have
components called Server Protect or something like that which equates almost to a firewall.

So you will want to check all the above.

Hope this helps,
Gary

In your note, you indicated that Site 1 clients can browse Site 1 ok.
You didn't clarify is Site 2 clients can browse Site 2 ok?

--------------------
'--'From: "Mike" <[email protected]>
'--'Sender: "Mike" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: problem connecting to shares on one server through network neighborhood
'--'Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 08:09:41 -0800
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.