Printing problem to HP OfficeJet Printer

G

Greetings

Is there a possibility to print to a local printer from the TS session without having to install the printer driver on the TS

We've been using HP OfficeJet (10+ units) for quite a while on our remote offices and it was working fine because I can install the driver/software on the server without any trouble. But since we bought the OfficeJet 4110 and the 7110, the software/driver won't even installed on the server. The error says that it's not a compatible OS. I called HP and they were saying that their latest OfficeJet products are not supported for Windows Server so there are no drivers for that OS

I've tried a couple of HP DesignJet drivers to print to that OfficeJet printer and it's not printing anything and there was no error either. I've tried the standard HP OfficeJet drivers and it was the same thing. I've tried to use the USB Redirection method since it's a USB printer and it didn't work also

I know that there must a way to fix this problem because before we were using the remote desktop, we were using the Citrix Metaframe client and with Citrix, we don't have to install the driver on the TS server in order to print from the server

Our server is W2K SP4 and our clients are either W2K Pro or WXP Pro
Please help
Thanks in Advance.

S

Sleurhutje

Try using the DeskJet 990CXi drivers for this printer. They work fine for
printing, except you can't scan and fax.
Windows GDI printer are far from ideal on Terminal Servers. Something to
keep in mind for the next time.

Jeroen

C. Pangkerego said:
Greetings,

Is there a possibility to print to a local printer from the TS session
without having to install the printer driver on the TS?
We've been using HP OfficeJet (10+ units) for quite a while on our remote
offices and it was working fine because I can install the driver/software on
the server without any trouble. But since we bought the OfficeJet 4110 and
the 7110, the software/driver won't even installed on the server. The error
says that it's not a compatible OS. I called HP and they were saying that
their latest OfficeJet products are not supported for Windows Server so
there are no drivers for that OS.
I've tried a couple of HP DesignJet drivers to print to that OfficeJet
printer and it's not printing anything and there was no error either. I've
tried the standard HP OfficeJet drivers and it was the same thing. I've
tried to use the USB Redirection method since it's a USB printer and it
didn't work also.
I know that there must a way to fix this problem because before we were
using the remote desktop, we were using the Citrix Metaframe client and with
Citrix, we don't have to install the driver on the TS server in order to
print from the server.

G

No you don't have to (and shouldn't) add drivers to the TS, instead map your unsupported printer to a known good, bulit in print driver.

Instructions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;275495

Print Mapping Lists Here:
http://www.printingsupport.com/matrix.htm
http://www.printingsupport.com/hp_officejets.htm

The content of your additional inf file should look like:

[Version]
Signature="$CHICAGO$"

[Printers]
"HP DeskJet" = "HP DeskJet"
"HP DeskJet Printer" = "HP DeskJet"

If you'd like the inf file & registry mods I use send me an email via my website and I'll send them to you.

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
www.workthin.com

----- C. Pangkerego wrote: -----

Greetings,

Is there a possibility to print to a local printer from the TS session without having to install the printer driver on the TS?

We've been using HP OfficeJet (10+ units) for quite a while on our remote offices and it was working fine because I can install the driver/software on the server without any trouble. But since we bought the OfficeJet 4110 and the 7110, the software/driver won't even installed on the server. The error says that it's not a compatible OS. I called HP and they were saying that their latest OfficeJet products are not supported for Windows Server so there are no drivers for that OS.

I've tried a couple of HP DesignJet drivers to print to that OfficeJet printer and it's not printing anything and there was no error either. I've tried the standard HP OfficeJet drivers and it was the same thing. I've tried to use the USB Redirection method since it's a USB printer and it didn't work also.

I know that there must a way to fix this problem because before we were using the remote desktop, we were using the Citrix Metaframe client and with Citrix, we don't have to install the driver on the TS server in order to print from the server.

Our server is W2K SP4 and our clients are either W2K Pro or WXP Pro.
Please help.
Thanks in Advance.

G

I'll try all of the suggested method and let you guys know how it goes
Thank you very much.

Ask a Question