print spooler

Window2000 print spooler won't stay started, you can restart it over and over but it will generate errors and close, won't even let me go to printers option from control panel or start...... help

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=" <[email protected]>
Subject: print spooler
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 15:41:01 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

Window2000 print spooler won't stay started, you can restart it over and over but it will generate errors and close,
won't even let me go to printers option from control panel or start...... help
----

The most common causes of the Print Spooler service stopping are printer drivers, third-party custom port monitors and
third-party print providers. If a new printer or printer driver was added recently try removing it to see what happens.

Check the following registry key for third-party monitors, removing any non-default monitors after exporting the key as a
backup:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

The default port monitors are:

AppleTalk Printing Devices (When Services for Macintosh is installed)
BJ Language Monitor
Local Port
PJL Language Monitor
Standard TCP/IP Port
USB Monitor
Windows NT Fax Monitor
LPR Port

Check the following registry key for third-party print providers, removing any non-default print providers after exporting the
key as a backup:

KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Providers

The default print providers are:

Internet Print Provider
LanMan Print Services

We would then need to stop and restart the Print Spooler service for these changes to take affect.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.