Preview in browser?

George Hester

Using Microsoft FrontPage 2003 in Windows 2000 SP3.

I installed an old Netscape 4.8 to test browser compatibility. I know it isn't used much anymore but that's what I did. I tried to preview in this browser a simple html page on the server. I had to follow this article because I can only preview in ALL my browsers if I am in Code view:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP052642891033.aspx

This article presents a problem. See the design window can be problamatic. It can re-write the web page in a way that can destroy the page when viwed in Design view. Or not be available This happens often in ASP or pages which use html components, applets, the list goes on and on...

So if I want to preview a Web page in my browser of choice then I risk the possibility that the page will be destroyed by doing it the way it seems is the only way it can be done. Is there a different way to preview a page in a browser of my choice without bringing the page up in Design view? Thanks.

Ronx

Save and Close the page in Code view
Highlight the page in the Folder List, click Preview in Browser. The
Preview button dropdown allows the browser to be chosen.
Or use File->Preview in browser
--
Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)

[...]

Jens Peter Karlsen[FP MVP]

Start the Browser. In the address field type the URL of the page.
Remember to save changes in FP first.

If you write your code properly FP wont change it when you change to
design view.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

George Hester

Yes I also found that if you preview the page in one browser then the next
time you preview the page it will use that previously used browser. I
actually found how to use this to my adavantage. But you know what would be
really neat? Do it using the VBA in FrontPage. Any ideas how to do this?
Thanks.

George Hester

Hi Jens. No I don't think proper code writing is the issue. This has been
an issue with FrontPage since Day 1. First the page may not even be
available in Design view. That's one thing. The corruption of the page by
switching to design view has hopefully been minimized over the years. But
once burned once learned even though it may have been 5+ years ago.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
Jens Peter Karlsen said:
Start the Browser. In the address field type the URL of the page.
Remember to save changes in FP first.

If you write your code properly FP wont change it when you change to
design view.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.
Posted To: microsoft.public.frontpage.client
Conversation: Preview in browser?
Subject: Preview in browser?

[...]

Murray

Yes I also found that if you preview the page in one browser then the next
time you preview the page it will use that previously used browser.

This is a browser preference setting, not anything FP does.

Murray

No I don't think proper code writing is the issue.

I do. Switching to design view cannot possibly corrupt code.

--
Murray

Jens Peter Karlsen said:
[...]

OK. Have it your way

--
George Hester
_________________________________

Jens Peter Karlsen said:
[...]

Thanks - that's helpful....

--
Murray

George Hester said:
OK. Have it your way

--
George Hester
_________________________________

George Hester said:
[...]

That is for firing a browser up in the same window when one is open or to
use a different window when one is already open. How that applies when I've
closed the window that I used when I last previewed the page I suppose only
Murray knows. But thanks anyway.

Murray

Your question was how to configure IE to not use the same window for
previews, was it not?

George Hester

No. You said, "This is a browser preference setting, not anything FP does"
in reponse to what I said, "Yes I also found that if you preview the page in
one browser then the next time you preview the page it will use that
previously used browser" I then asked, "And where is that set?" And you
answered, "TOOLS | Internet Options > Reuse Windows for Shortcuts." Which
has nothing to do with "Yes I also found that if you preview the page in one
browser then the next time you preview the page it will use that previously
used browser" I am previewing a page from FrontPage 2003 which is launching
the browser. The browser is closed before I do it again from there.
Otherwise I would just refresh or reload the page as the case of browser may
be.

In other words preview in Netscape. Close it. Preview will use Netscape
the next time it is accessed. Preview a page in IE. Close it. Preview
will use IE the next time it is accessed. I am referring to the "Preview in
browser" while the html is in code view right-click the page in the folder
view and choose Preview in browser. There is no fly out for that there.

Now what you pointed on may affect this behavior. I do not know. But that
involves reconfiguring IE to affect FrontPage behavior ("does") which seems
weird.

Murray

I see. My mistake.

--