Prefetch

Shel

All of the items in my prefetch folder have dates between 11/8/05 and
11/15/05, but I use my computer every day. Is this normal? If not, how
do I fix it?

Many thanks.

Ted Zieglar

It's not unusual for the pre-fetch folder to have old items. There's no
particular harm in removing entries that seem old to you, but there's
nothing to be gained either. I just leave 'em be.

What people sometimes do is delete all the entries in the pre-fetch folder
every now and then let Windows re-populate it. (Don't delete the folder
itself.) Your computer may start a little slower for a few days until the
pre-fetch gets rebuilt, but you won't have old items hanging around.

Shel

Thanks, Ted.

But why don't any of the several new programs I have installed and
used since November appear in the Prefetch folder?

Ted Zieglar

Why do you think they should be there? When your PC starts up, Windows looks
in the Prefetch folder to determine how best to load Windows.

John Jay Smith

prefetch handles boot and other launching programs...

But I found a program to disable it compleatly, since things appear there
that I seldom use...

I have found other techniques to make my computer work always like it has
just been formated and freshly installed with windows. Lightning fast!

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
It's not.

Dr Teeth

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when "Ted Zieglar"
It's not unusual for the pre-fetch folder to have old items. There's no
particular harm in removing entries that seem old to you, but there's
nothing to be gained either. I just leave 'em be.

IT IS! It means that prefetch is not working and new entries are not
being created. It is 21:30 hrs in the UK on May 1st, my oldest entry
is dated yesterday at 15:17 hrs. Win XP also clears out old entries
automatically.

**Every** time you run a program, providing it is not just a single
filed executable, an entry **should** appear in the prefetch folder.
Even if you run the same program several times in a row, the timestamp
on the .pf file should change to the latest load time.

The default behaviour of Win XP is to optimise the boot process *and*
program loads; and not just via the moving of files on the hard disk.

Shel, the way I'd fix your problem, which I have had a few times is to
delete the prefetch folder, it will be recreated on the next boot and
a few entries should appear after a few minutes.

--
Cheers,

Guy