PowerPoint Presentation Reverted Back To Previously Saved Version

CR

My wife is working on a project and lost several hours of work. Don't know
exactly what happened, but here's what I know, based on what she told me...

---She's been working on it for weeks.
---When she started Sunday morning it was 14 pages long.
---After working on/off throughout the day it was 22 pages long.
---She regularly saves her work. She won't even minimize it without saving.
---Late Sunday night she opened it and it was exactly as it was when she
started that morning. Everything she did that day is gone.
---There was no crash, so no autorecovery.

I searched all drives for PowerPoint files and could not find any other than
the 14-page version. Also searched for templates and webfiles to see if she
accidentally saved as one of those, but no luck. When she saves she simply
hits the save button. AutoSave is set for every 10 minutes but can't find
any files.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Michael Koerner

The autosave files I believe are removed once you save and exit PowerPoint you might think about using Shyam's Sequential Save addin which is available here. http://skp.mvps.org/seqsave.htm

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint

[...]

Echo S

Only thing I can think to try is using "restore previous version," which is
sometimes available if you're working on Vista.

(This is definitely not common behavior.)

Oh, is there anything in the TEMP folder? If so, she could try Insert |
Slides | From File or she could try renaming the ~.TMP file with a PPT
extension and see if that will open or allow her to Insert | Slides from....

James Stoy

i had the same bizarre issue yesterday and today. Unfortunately the issue was happening to my boss and he wasn't very happy!

What was happening was:
He would open a .PPS from a network share, work on it for a while then close it. What he didn't know was that after he closed the application powerpnt.exe was still active in the processes list AND still had his file open.
Due to some bizarre turn of events when he opened the file again to work on it some more; the file was read only but it wasn't showing the "this file is read-only" dialogue upon opening it (possibly due to the process still running?). He would work on his document, then "save" it, all seemed fine, he would close and open the document again and it would be back to the previous version!! The new file was being saved somewhere (still havn't found where!) as soon as he closed it, then all he would see was the original read-only copy still sitting there.

Either way i re-installed office 2007 and applied service pack 2, all the updates available and now it doesn't happen anymore.

I'm glad only one person has experienced this so far, i couldnt cope with 200+ people shouting that they have lost work..

Echo S wrote:

Only thing I can think to try is using "restore previous version," which is
05-May-08

Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.co
What's new in PPT 2007? http://www.echosvoice.com/2007.ht
Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grc
PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/32a7n

[...]

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C8AE98.
This is a multi-part message in MIME format

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C8AE98.2B7662E

The autosave files I believe are removed once you save and exit
PowerPoint you might think about using Shyam's Sequential Save addin
which is available here. http://skp.mvps.org/seqsave.ht

--=2
Michael Koerne
MS MVP - PowerPoin

My wife is working on a project and lost several hours of work. Don't
know=2
exactly what happened, but here's what I know, based on what she told
me..

---She's been working on it for weeks
---When she started Sunday morning it was 14 pages long
---After working on/off throughout the day it was 22 pages long
---She regularly saves her work. She won't even minimize it without =
saving.
---Late Sunday night she opened it and it was exactly as it was when =
she=20
started that morning. Everything she did that day is gone.
---There was no crash, so no autorecovery.

I searched all drives for PowerPoint files and could not find any =
other than=20
the 14-page version. Also searched for templates and webfiles to see =
if she=20
accidentally saved as one of those, but no luck. When she saves she =
simply=20
hits the save button. AutoSave is set for every 10 minutes but can't =
find=20
any files.

Any help greatly appreciated.

--=20
CR
------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C8AE98.2B7662E0

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana size=3D2>The autosave files I believe are =
removed once you=20
save and exit PowerPoint you might think about using Shyam's Sequential =
Save=20
addin which is available here. <A=20
href=3D"http://skp.mvps.org/seqsave.htm">http://skp.mvps.org/seqsave.htm<=
/A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>&nbsp; Michael Koerner<BR>MS MVP - PowerPoint</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>"CR" &lt;<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]=
</A>&gt;=20
wrote in message <A=20
=
href=3D"(e-mail address removed)</A>...</DIV>My=20
wife is working on a project and lost several hours of work.&nbsp; =
Don't know=20
<BR>exactly what happened, but here's what I know, based on what she =
told=20
me...<BR><BR>---She's been working on it for weeks.<BR>---When she =
started=20
Sunday morning it was 14 pages long.<BR>---After working on/off =
throughout the=20
day it was 22 pages long.<BR>---She regularly saves her work.&nbsp; =
She won't=20
even minimize it without saving.<BR>---Late Sunday night she opened it =
and it=20
was exactly as it was when she <BR>started that morning.&nbsp; =
Everything she=20
did that day is gone.<BR>---There was no crash, so no =
autorecovery.<BR><BR>I=20
searched all drives for PowerPoint files and could not find any other =
than=20
<BR>the 14-page version.&nbsp; Also searched for templates and =
webfiles to see=20
if she <BR>accidentally saved as one of those, but no luck.&nbsp; When =
she=20
saves she simply <BR>hits the save button.&nbsp; AutoSave is set for =
every 10=20
minutes but can't find <BR>any files.<BR><BR>Any help greatly=20
appreciated.<BR><BR>-- <BR>CR</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C8AE98.2B7662E0--

Only thing I can think to try is using "restore previous version," which is
Only thing I can think to try is using "restore previous version," which is
sometimes available if you're working on Vista.

(This is definitely not common behavior.)

Oh, is there anything in the TEMP folder? If so, she could try Insert |
Slides | From File or she could try renaming the ~.TMP file with a PPT
extension and see if that will open or allow her to Insert | Slides from....

How to Annotate Images from a database in a web page
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...9-082c24acd999/how-to-annotate-images-fr.aspx