Powerline Ethernet Adapter

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a little bit out of touch with regards to these Powerline Ethernet Adapters. I am looking to get one of these.

Questions:

How does it get the internet through the electric cables with out a phone line?

Do I need 2 of these Adapters for it to work so one Adapter is connected to the router and then to the wall and the other Adapter goes straight into the computer that needs the internet.

I would appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
what are you looking to do?

I think you would need two (destination/source) of these it will plug into the mains and use the wiring in the mains to run network signal from A to B.

Reaction score
ok the router is down stairs and I am looking to get Powerline Ethernet Adapter, so I can use the internet on the computer up stairs with out having lots of Wires everywhere and the signal dropping out.

hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

Wiz

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
You need 2 - you plug an ethernet cable from your router into one and put it in a plug socket, then plug the other one in upstairs and plug an ethernet cable from your PC into that one.

Have a quick scan at this thread HERE to get the idea :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Possibly because he either already has a wireless router or doesn't want to use one because the signal is poor upstairs and wants a more reliable connection?

Some folks I know who have used them say they are pretty good - have a read of that link I posted.

Reaction score
Good point
probably is the signal problem.

I love wired it's the best I'm going to wire my house up before I get the walls plastered.
Much more reliable and secure over wireless. :)

Reaction score
Ady,

Thanks for your reply. I know understand how it works, and what I need to do to get it setup. :) The reason I am doing is. Is becuase the singal is not very good up stairs.

psd99

Thanks for your replies, The reason I am getting these is becuase of the singal is poor up stairs. But I understand about what using Wireless, I have had lots of problems with it in the past so I tend you use hard wired a lot.

Regards,

Wiz

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
wizkid, I use a pair of these at home.

They are good and I feel they are better than wireless, no dropout, poor signal etc..

but you can notice that they are slower than being directly wired into the modem but the speed is still very good.

I have tried them all around the house and they work everywhere, the further they are apart the slower the speed usually is.

The price of these items has also come down a lot over the last few months so if you look around you can get a good price :thumb:

-chelseafc2005

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.pcworld.com/article/105305/homeplug_networks_plug_in_and_power_up.html

Another snippet of info.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
let us all know how good these things are

I hope your house is wired up to utilise the full speed of these things.

Ask a Question