Powerful laptop required

Reaction score
I have read some of the threads regarding laptops, as well as the archived article from May 2004, however I would be grateful for your advice. My colleague has asked me to track down some laptops that match the following requirements:

Powerful processor and memory
Hard Drive 40 - 60 GB
Wide screen if possible
Small, light design
Bluetooth

She works with around half a dozen applications open at once (hence the need for memory and a wide screen) although probably won't store music/photos etc.

We have looked at a Dell Latitude D410, which fits the bill quite well (with the exception of the screen), the added bonus being 3 years international service and support.

Can anyone suggest alternatives?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got a Dell X1, which is Tiny, has bluetooth and comes with up to 1GB ram + 60GB drive. It is a widescreen laptop, but on a small scale. I love it, but it is designed to be super mobile (its only just over 1KG).

If you want something a bit less mobile, the Latitude 6000 fits the bill - a bit heavier, but powerful and widescreen.

Reaction score
Thank you Ian, that's great. Did you mean the Inspiron 6000? I couldn't find one in the Latitude series.

In your experience are there other companies that provide as good international service under warranty as Dell? This is a fairly important factor as my colleague is now based in Germany, and our main office is here in the UK.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, sorry thats the one. I haven't had much experience with other laptop companies I'm afraid - although Medion are a German company with laptops available in the UK quite cheaply. Sony also have a good international warranty service from my experience a few years ago.

Reaction score
Sorry to interrupt this thread but i cannot yet start a new one and some of the info below may be useful to the thread stater as well as myself:

Im buying a laptop and need it for basic microsoft office use, surfing the net, gaming (nothing hardcore), burning/watching dvds and some other bits and pieces as I learn more. I want a system which is a bit future proof (wont 'go out of date'). Ive narrowed it down to the following 3 dell inspiron 6000 systems and just want some quick advice on which you think is best AND best value for money. They all have the same dvd burner, bluetooth, warranty, screens,wifi etc:

These laptops are available on Ebay if you're happy to buy from there and if people post their opinion it may be of use to others.

1) has: 1.86GHz centrino - 80GB HD - 1280MB RAM – 128MB Shared - £880

2) has: 1.73GHz centrino - 80GB HD - 1280MB RAM – 64MB ATI X300 - £840

3) has: 1.86GHz centrino - 80GB HD - 1024MB RAM - 128MB ATI X300 - £790

So whats your quick opinion?

Peresh

Reaction score
i would suggest staying clear of ebay for something quite this expensive

Reaction score
We just bought an Acer 5002 laptop for £530inc VAT with free carry case from eBuyer

AMD 64 Turion 1.6GHz
512Mb RAM
60Gb HDD
32 to 128Mb shared graphics
Dual Layer DVD burner
15" screen

Works great.

Reaction score
Don't sell the D410 too short.

I have been testing and deploying the Dell Latitude D410 here a the office for a couple months. Its pretty solid and is very upgradeable. The best time to purchase from Dell if time is not a huge concern is in late October. Dell will be offering some deals for their end of quarter rush. Back to the D410. The screen is not that bad at all. You might consider upgrading from the XGA to the UXGA screen and upgrading to the better video card options.

The only problem with the D410 is that the CD/DVD/CDRW drive is not on board. You have to use what I call the docking bowl that fits on the bottom of the unit. If you are taking it on a trip and do not intend to use an optical drive, then the unit is great and very portable. It is loaded with USB ports (in fact PS/2 input is not an option except with the docking station) so if you need to portable media, a small 512 thunb drive would fit the bill.

One of the best parts is that the small unit sports a full size (for laptops) keyboard that is easy to use. With the X1, users who are accustomed to using a full size keyboard would feel cramped typing on it.

To sum up, it is all about what is important. If you need super portability, the X1 fits with bill, brilliantly. If you need something closer to a desktop replacement unit with better performance, the D410 is better.

Do not even consider the D810. The D810 is billed as more of a desktop replacement unit. Its almost as heavy as one! The screen is fantastic though.

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
We just bought an Acer 5002 laptop for £530inc VAT with free carry case from eBuyer

AMD 64 Turion 1.6GHz
512Mb RAM
60Gb HDD
32 to 128Mb shared graphics
Dual Layer DVD burner
15" screen

Works great.

good to hear
my latest buy was an Acer 17inch TFT

your laptop looks good for both price and spec

only concern is Acer themselves, they seem to be the Sven Goran Ericsson of companies at the minute!
and no offence to the great Swede!

Reaction score
It was on offer... and we didnt need to play any decent games on it... great for what we needed. Bargain too.

How do you mean, the SGE of companies?

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
How do you mean, the SGE of companies?

well hes hardly the best international manager at the minute
his results are quite simlpy not good enough!

i do think the great swede will turn things around though!

Ask a Question