Post-install

gregparsons

Was wondering if someone could answer this question for me as I'm still
unclear on the proper procedure.

After you install Windows Vista Home Premium is it better to install the
Windows Upates first or the drivers / utilities for the motherboard that come
on the supplied cd first?

I've heard that both ways are okay, but I wanted to get some more input.

Thanky you

Mick Murphy

If you buy a computer with vista pre-installed, the manufacturer has already
installed the mobo drivers.

The Drivers disk is for Recovery.

Bruce Chambers

gregparsons said:
Was wondering if someone could answer this question for me as I'm still
unclear on the proper procedure.

After you install Windows Vista Home Premium is it better to install the
Windows Upates first or the drivers / utilities for the motherboard that come
on the supplied cd first?

I've heard that both ways are okay, but I wanted to get some more input.

Thanky you

I would install the necessary device drivers first. It's the only way
to ensure that Windows is working properly before connecting to the
Internet to get updates. (Oh, and you'll want to have an antivirus
application installed before connecting to the Internet, as well.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Bruce Chambers

David said:

It's called a general, common sense security precaution. To quote
Charles Babbage, "I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of
confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Bruce Chambers said:
David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:
It's called a general, common sense security precaution.

That just makes me wonder where you're kickbacks are coming from. ;-)

"Common Sense" security is good personal habits... everything else
is a slowed-down, bogged-down, invaded PC that puts money in the
hands of the people make such claims as you. Windows Update
is going to throw a virus out?? I don't think so... and unless you're
chatting or e-mailing with Melinda Gates and she sends you an
infected e-mail attachment that you're to unaware to check out
before opening it... you're probably going to be just fine.

Seriously... I had my own personal experiences with both the majors
10 thru15 years ago, and deal with them a few times a week in service
PCs. I took ALL A/V out of my machines almost 10 years ago (and I
make this announcement a few times per month to see who tries to
hit me) and I've never been even slightly affected by viral activity on
any internet box I deal with... some of them online 24/7.

Corporate rules for a bunch of zombie users usually don't apply to
individuals who care enough about their time on the PC to add a
little conscious awareness to their surf & mail time in order to avoid
the massively increased boot, shutdown, and scanning times that can
completely ruin one's 'fun' with working on a really fast box.

Just a preference.... I prefer clean and fast and personally aware.
Others will prefer the snails pace, 'better safe than sorry' obliviousness.

On a side note... for over 5 years now, I have been removing A/V from
the computers of clients for whom I do PC maintenance & support. In
the process I show them a couple of simple steps and *guarantee*
that if they follow those steps... I will come for FREE for up to 2 years
and remove any virus they catch. I'm on my 5th year of this service
and NO ONE has contracted a virus... and by now I'm probably personally
supporting some 60-plus home and business PCs

Cheers,

Bruce Chambers

David said:
That just makes me wonder where you're kickbacks are coming from. ;-)

Unfounded accusations instead of rational arguments supported by
documented facts? Why do I bother?

"Common Sense" security is good personal habits...

... And taking precautions against the day when something slips by
those habits.

everything else
is a slowed-down, bogged-down, invaded PC that puts money in the
hands of the people make such claims as you.

Not if one knows how to properly install and configure such products,
and maintain a PC.

Windows Update
is going to throw a virus out??

Not intentionally, no. But all web sites are potentially capable of
being compromised and exploited. Further, I wasn't aware that Windows
Update was the sum total of the Internet. When did that happen?

Seriously... I had my own personal experiences with both the majors
10 thru15 years ago, and deal with them a few times a week in service
PCs. I took ALL A/V out of my machines almost 10 years ago (and I
make this announcement a few times per month to see who tries to
hit me) and I've never been even slightly affected by viral activity on
any internet box I deal with... some of them online 24/7.

Corporate rules for a bunch of zombie users usually don't apply to
individuals who care enough about their time on the PC to add a
little conscious awareness to their surf & mail time in order to avoid
the massively increased boot, shutdown, and scanning times that can
completely ruin one's 'fun' with working on a really fast box.

You've obviously never met an average home computer user, then, if you
think they're going to take their time learning to properly secure their
computers.

There are several essential components to computer security: a
knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

The weakest link in this "equation" is, and always will be, of
course, the computer user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should
they be expected to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All
too many people have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers
marketing claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer
should be no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches in
a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link they're
about to click.

Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and every
computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

Just a preference.... I prefer clean and fast and personally aware.
Others will prefer the snails pace, 'better safe than sorry' obliviousness.

Again, all you would need do is learn to properly select, install, and
configure protective software, and such products wouldn't perceptively
slow down your system. Don't blame these products for your own lack of
ability.

On a side note... for over 5 years now, I have been removing A/V from
the computers of clients for whom I do PC maintenance & support. In
the process I show them a couple of simple steps and *guarantee*
that if they follow those steps... I will come for FREE for up to 2 years
and remove any virus they catch. I'm on my 5th year of this service
and NO ONE has contracted a virus...

No one has caught a virus, or no one has been stupid enough to let you
touch their computers again?

.... and by now I'm probably personally
supporting some 60-plus home and business PCs

So, have you nothing to offer besides self-admittedly very limited
experience (only 5 years and only 60 computers?) and crudely crafted
insults? Come back when you've something like 15 to 20 years supporting
hundreds of computers in various enterprise and home environments.

Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 17:48:32 -0700
From: Bruce Chambers <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Post-install
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup

Bruce Chambers said:
David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:
Unfounded accusations instead of rational arguments supported by
documented facts?

I suppose it's beyond your ILLUSTRIOUS demeanor to SEE THE SMILEY-FACE.
Look again, knee-jerker. :-I assure you it is there and was there.
Why do I bother?

Apparently, strictly to feed your ego and no other reason what-so-ever
unless you are selling something.
... And taking precautions against the day when something slips by
those habits.

Agreed.

Nothing has slipped by mine in some 14 years on dozens of *connected*
PCs. But that doesn't matter, the issue is your rudeness and the sudden
assertion of your inherent superiority.
Not if one knows how to properly install and configure such products,
and maintain a PC.

I'm sorry, Mr. Hurt Ego... but I simply asked you a question. "Why" does
the OP need anti-virus before getting on line for OS updates?

And your response appears to be, "Because he's automatically to be
considered a complete IDIOT."

And if you're saying A/V software does NOT slow boot time, you are lying.

And if you're saying it only does because the user has configured it incorrectly,
you are lying again.
Not intentionally, no.

What are the chances? A hundred billion to one? Actually, the chances
of acquiring ANY virus while web surfing anything but porn sites is about
1,000,000,000 to one. We all know that servers are protected and virii
come to end users through e-mails. Mal-ware is another issue.
But all web sites are potentially capable of
being compromised and exploited.

Oooo... run and be scared !! Buy some software & pretend you are safe !!

At about a 500,000 to one scare ratio... it's not even worthy of thought.
Further, I wasn't aware that Windows
Update was the sum total of the Internet.

Did anyone say that it was? (But you go ahead and make things up, I
understand your need to maintain superiority over NOTHING by inserting
false assumptions and directing the issue away from it's focus).
When did that happen?

When the OP asked his question about obtaining updates. Otherwise, I
never would have asked mine of you. Really... perhaps you should take
a Valium or something. This is *not* a big issue. I just tossed out some
personal experiences as an end user to justify my question to you. No
need to go all Mount Vesuvius & last days of Pompeii on me....
You've obviously never met an average home computer user, then, if you
think they're going to take their time learning to properly secure their
computers.

I clarified my position by stating "individuals who care"... your response,
however, means that you have immediately classified the OP (and myself,
but the latter is not relevant) as a working dunce. That's presumtuous and
rude.
There are several essential components to computer security: a
knowledgeable and pro-active user,

That's my point. Thank you. 'Toaster' users need a firewall... and they
also have no clue as to why the toast burned while they were waiting
for their PC to boot if they have A/V, they don't know... they aren't the
people I'm talking about. However, with a couple of pointers, *anyone*
can run perfectly well without Anti-Virus protection.
a properly configured firewall,

Excellent item to have on board (unless it comes with the major A/V
packages).
reliable and up-to-date antivirus software,

Completely and totally irrelevant if a human being understands how virus
are received and passed. You'll note that I am not saying, and have not
said, that it is not needed for some people. I'm saying it's a complete
waste of time for anyone with a brain who cares. Personally, I don't
like to speak to strangers as if they are complete Morons until they
have proven such. But my real point is, I don't think it's needed before
going on line to take a fresh OS install to MS for updates.
and the prompt repair (via
patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

That's a given.... ho-hum... you sould like a broken (salesman) record.
(But ya' know what... I'd advise doing that manually, *not* automatically ;-).
The weakest link in this "equation" is, and always will be, of
course, the computer user.

My point again.... But they aren't *all* imbeciles and therefore shouldn't
be automatically, by default attitude, treated as such IMHO.
Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and every
computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

My point again. And all of them aren't _automatically_ IDIOTs, are they ???
Again, all you would need do is learn to properly select, install, and
configure protective software, and such products wouldn't perceptively
slow down your system. Don't blame these products for your own lack of
ability.

You know something.... I'm actually just a little bored today, and generally
I really appreciate your posts... but you not only have failed to justify why
I should have A/V before updating a new OS install - but now, in addition
to telling me that I have NO ability.... you're also telling me that Anti-Virus
products DO NOT affect the boot-up and shut down time of the computer.
And if they do, it is the end users fault.

Well.... I'm sorry PCGod, but that is a lie. Please contain yourself. You
can not add Macaffee or Symanrec (or even AVG) to a PC and not
completely alter the operating characteristics... most expecially boot time.
Please don't assert that you can.
No one has caught a virus, or no one has been stupid enough to let you
touch their computers again?

Ah..... we have the 'intimidation' factor, coupled with the 'personal attack'
factor, coupled with the knee-jerking, "I've been insulted" syndrome.

Get a life, Dr. PC. Attacking your ally isn't solving anything except the
possible question as to whom has a personality larger than a slug's.
So, have you nothing to offer besides self-admittedly very limited
experience (only 5 years and only 60 computers?) and crudely crafted
insults? Come back when you've something like 15 to 20 years supporting
hundreds of computers in various enterprise and home environments.

You like reading between the lines and being a presumptuous, pompous
ass, don't you ???

Perhaps that's why you treat people as if they're all completely nuts except
yourself.

Well.... just for the fellow with the *very bad* insight... I'll explain:

I've only been offering my services publically, *with a warranty,* for 5 years...
Why should I feel obligated to offer more information on me while in search
of a valid response from YOU ?!?

For whatever it's worth to you or your small-minded opinion, I have been
computer savvy since my first TRS-80 and since ordering parts with
punch-cards on a tape-based IBMs in the mid 60s. I've been on UseNet
since it was Fido-Net, and I've been working with both Macs and PCs
for *well over* 20 years

You may play your game of superiority all you like.... but I will remind you,
this is the only reason I spoke at all. People deserve SOME respect.
Now you've made *me* knee-jerk.... sorry... but do stop being such an
ass, please?

I don't believe that it should be considered mandatory to install A/V software
before seeking Microsoft OS updates on a fresh install and I asked you why
you seemed to think it was? I'm sorry if that was offensive enough that you
felt it necessary to attack, belittle, and lie about me repetitively.

Have a nice day,

--
David B. Morgan (MAMS)
Morgan Audio Media Service

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

gregparsons said:
Was wondering if someone could answer this question for me as I'm still
unclear on the proper procedure.

After you install Windows Vista Home Premium is it better to install the
Windows Upates first or the drivers / utilities for the motherboard that come
on the supplied cd first?

I've heard that both ways are okay, but I wanted to get some more input.

Thanky you

The motherboard and device drivers are first and foremost in importance.